BioWare Responds to Mass Effect 3 Day-One DLC on Disc

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
BioWare Responds to Mass Effect 3 Day-One DLC on Disc

The game's producer has spoken up on the "what" and the "why" of that launch disc's controversial contents.

Mass Effect 3's day-one DLC, From Ashes, has been somewhat of a hot topic for gamers amidst the launch of BioWare's latest game. At first, it was the mere fact that it existed, then the importance of its content, and finally, the fact that someone found evidence of it on the launch disc, therefore hypothetically proving the developer's claims of post-launch production less than honest. In the wake of these accusations, one of the game's producers, Mike Gamble, has decided to clarify his, and the company's, position.

"From Ashes is a 600 MB+ download with all new content, including the mission on Eden Prime, new dialogue options and conversations with [the squad member], new cinematics, the Prothean weapon, and new appearances for all squad members," he explained. "All of the above content was completed while the main game was in certification and are not available on the disc."

This claim would, at first, seem counter to the argument of some code diggers, who point to a .bin file that, when altered, can allegedly unlock the full DLC directly from the standard, unmodified installation. The evidence of this procedure can be found in this (spoilerific) video. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRRpGlmtws8&feature=player_embedded] In fairness, however, it should be noted that this has yet to be independently verified, that not much other than the squadmate's mere "physical" existence is shown, and that YouTube video uploaders aren't exactly universally heralded as the most reliable, unbiased sources of information.

Later, on Gamble's blog [http://www.twitlonger.com/show/gcijat], he continued to explain his company's DLC process. "Because the plot of ME3 is so richly interwoven with the character interactions and moments, you simply cannot use a DLC module to 'insert' a new character," he wrote. "As we've mentioned before, that character has to be planned and the framework has to be established ahead of time for us to build off of with the DLC module. You may have seen a similar framework developed in ME2 for the Zaeed and Kasumi characters.

"We wanted [the new character] to be a fully featured squad member, with deep dialogue throughout the game - and we needed him to be accessible via the character selection GUI (which you cannot simply 'overwrite' with DLC). Thus, certain elements of the [character's] appearance and some of the VO needed to be included on the disc. That is a fact. But that doesn't mean the content was created, and then removed. It is a necessity of adding a rich character presence in our game."

If you read Gamble's statement with a critical eye, he doesn't necessarily contradict the claim that certain files, perhaps even the new character itself, are already on the disc. Specifically, he mentions that the weapon, the mission, and the dialog are what make up that 600MB, not the squad member. The above video/counter claims showcase the character's presence, not its accompanying cut scenes, dialog, or mission. Still, some may find issue with even that, and it's up to each player to decide whether Gamble's explanation of the production process is enough to cool their concerns. Without any evidence of actual lying on BioWare's part, it may be time for everyone to just read over the facts, decide their stance, and vote with their wallets instead of their keyboard. After all, no one (to my knowledge) has yet been forced to purchase or play Mass Effect 3, nor its DLC, From Ashes (though many have clearly chosen to). [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116252-3-5-Million-Copies-of-Mass-Effect-3-Have-Invaded-Earth]

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-12-mass-effect-3-day-one-dlc-character-already-in-game-files]

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
I'm honestly not sure what to think, i'm a little annoyed that they didn't throw in the thing for free as i'm a cheap skate and they had free DLC that was definitely created afterwards before, you'd think since this was basically made during final stages of production they wouldn't of cared?. I've voted with my wallet anyway, i decided not to touch Origin or ME3 with a ten-foot pole. Just watching the walkthrough's on youtube instead.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Problem is, Zaeed and Kasumi (ignoring the fact that they aren't the only living members of an ancient, extinct race) weren't available in game if you just edited some files on PC. Their textures were there or models (don't remember) but powers, dialogs and adding them to squad wasn't until the DLC.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
As someone who has yet to even play ME2 let alone think about playing ME3, this all amuses me and I require more popcorn :3

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
I'm not sure who to side with on this one, his explanation makes sense to me, so I guess I'll wait and see if someone else can verify it.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Eri said:
You want I should show you the chart?

I have to admit, that's a nice chart you r haz dar.
So the team working on this were what? working overtime during the testing phase?.

Companies should just go back to the old method of DLC i think, it all seems the same except this method kicked a mightier shit storm than the old ways.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
They claimed a few weeks ago that they did not start work on the DLC until the core game was finalized. As it turns out they were lying considering so much of the character is already present in said game. Honestly this doesn't really even bother me that much since I had already decided to boycott the DLC based on the fact that they are just trying to milk long time fans like myself. There is no reason the only Prothean to ever appear alive in the ME franchise should not be in the core game. I don't care if the plot stands up on its own without him (I would know, I beat the game). The simple fact that he is not important automatically indicates there is something wrong. Sorry to dig up that old fossil but that's just the way I feel about it as a fan and I am not going to change my opinion.

Despite all that, who cares? Everyone is talking about the shitty ending now.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
As someone in the middle of the game, I can verify that there is a great deal more scenes and dialogue with the Prothean then there was with Kasumi or Zaeed. The entire argument concerning it being Day 1 DLC not withstanding, they stuff a lot of content into that 600MB update they sent out with the DLC, and it wasn't just an activation code.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I'm just sick and tired of both sides bitching about it and hearing the same 5 keywords being thrown around.

LonelyWizzard

Mar 14, 2011
When they say the groundwork for the DLC had to be layed during the development of the core game and put on the disc, aren't they admitting development time/resources were diverted from the main game?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Eri said:

*snip*
I don't WANT day one DLC. What I do WANT is not having to pay extra to unlock content on a disk I've already bought!
But...that's the thing...You haven't already bought it. The chart covered this concern.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Eri said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Eri said:

*snip*
I don't WANT day one DLC. What I do WANT is not having to pay extra to unlock content on a disk I've already bought!
But...that's the thing...You haven't already bought it. The chart covered this concern.
Then why give it to me?
"As we've mentioned before, that character has to be planned and the framework has to be established ahead of time for us to build off of with the DLC module."

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Eri said:

*image snip*
That is a beautiful chart, if only more of the people pissing and moaning about day 1 dlc could see it.

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
So for $10, I'm getting...

Mike Gamble said:
...the mission on Eden Prime, new dialogue options and conversations with [the squad member], new cinematics, the Prothean weapon, and new appearances for all squad members...
Doesn't sound like it's worth $10 to me... and Metacritic seems to agree!

Official Xbox Magazine UK said:
The biggest clue here is the length of the mission. After 40 minutes of action, you're rewarded with a new crew member and a fancy gun. This bite-sized slice of adventure feels comparative to many of the main game's side-missions, but doesn't go beyond the call of duty to make you feel like you're getting any value.

Bioware has thrown in more goodies to entice, but one new rifle and a fresh new set of companion costumes really aren't enough to hide the truth: Regardless of when the content was physically made, it was clearly designed alongside the full game. At some point it got singled out as an element that fans would be excited about enough to shell-out for.

link
Mike Gameble said:
We wanted Javik to be a fully featured squad member, with deep dialogue throughout the game ? and we needed him to be accessible via the character selection GUI (which you cannot simply ?overwrite? with DLC).
TRANSLATION said:
We wanted Javik to be a fully featured squad member, but one who was just detatchable enough that we could keep him out of the core game and charge $10 for him later.
But that doesn?t mean the content was created, and then removed.
Half true, which makes it the most honest thing I've heard out of Bioware all month. Javik was created, BUT NOT REMOVED! OPPS!

Give it up Bioware. Stop trying to spin every new development in this story in your favor.

When we heard about day one DLC, we complained, and you justified it by saying that all the content was developed after the game went Gold and was in certification.

Than we found out the character data was on the disk. Not a placeholder, like Zaeed and Kasumi, but a fully modeled, fully textured, fully animated squadmate. You got caught LYING... and you don't even have the decency to say sorry.

Casey Hudson said:
It?s not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C.

link
Funny...

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Eri said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Eri said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Eri said:

*snip*
Then why give it to me?
"As we've mentioned before, that character has to be planned and the framework has to be established ahead of time for us to build off of with the DLC module."
Depends how much of the character is on the disk. Also I'm not buying the premise that the character could be "optional" to the narrative. If they came up with the idea of this character with enough time to put the "framework" onto the disk, then they had enough time to come-up with a way to work it into the story and the game play. The reason they didn't include this in game was just so that they could wring a few extra dollars out of release before going on to post release. Why do we NEED to have the day one DLC step in the first place? I have a hard time believing Bioware of all companies has an insubstantial enough financial base to justify it. If you're going to start developing it later, than release it later, and get paid for it LATER.
I don't understand this sentiment. You're basically saying it would be okay if they did the exact same thing, except, instead of releasing it on launch day, they just waited a month or two?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fappy said:
They claimed a few weeks ago that they did not start work on the DLC until the core game was finalized.
Which is weird, because now their answer is something akin to "of course we started on it, we HAD to!"