BioWare Reveals Most Used Cmdr. Shepard Names in Mass Effect

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
BioWare Reveals Most Used Cmdr. Shepard Names in Mass Effect

The most used female and male names for Commander Shepard in Mass Effect has just been revealed by BioWare.

While we've yet to hear any official news regarding the next entry in the Mass Effect franchise aside from a few concept photos, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129436-BioWare-Photos-Offer-First-Glimpse-at-Next-Mass-Effect] BioWare has updated its blog and revealed what the most used names were in the hit action-RPG franchise. Unsurprisingly, the default character names (Jane/John) were the most commonly used, but those who "ventured off the beaten path," and changed their Shepard's name to a different one, the results on which name was the most famous can be seen below.

For those who chose to have their Commander Shepard be a female, the most common name was Sarah; while for males it was Jack. The list rounds of the top five for each gender, and even lists the most used names in Germany (Sarah/Chris), Italy (Sarah/Alex), Russia (Kate/Alex), France (Sarah/David), Spain (Alice/Alex), and Poland (Kate/Adam).

For more Mass Effect news, BioWare General Manager Aaryn Flynn has LEGO mini figures that lets you assemble your squad in the cutest way possible. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132593-Mass-Effect-Trilogy-HD-Remaster-For-PS4-Xbox-One-Being-Considered]

As someone who almost always chooses the default name in RPGs, I admit, I'm a bit giddy that my name (Alex) is in both top five lists. What name did you use for your Commander Shepard? Is it part of the top five or something less vanilla?

Source: BioWare [http://blog.bioware.com/2014/05/15/whats-in-a-name/]

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
I'm surprised "Cocksucker" or "XXX360NoScope666XXX" aren't on there. I've played the games a couple dozen times and always chose those.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
'Alex' eh? Aside from being your namesake, I remember it was the name given in one of the Deus Ex games, which was a clever way of accommodating both male and female players.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I went with Alexander for my ManShep so I suppose I'm right in there with one of the more popular choices. I know some have complained about the top names being too pedestrian, but given that Shepherd is a human I thing the more pedestrian names fit better than some strange alien option.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Objectable said:
I'm surprised "Cocksucker" or "XXX360NoScope666XXX" aren't on there. I've played the games a couple dozen times and always chose those.
I'm surprised "Titty", "Beefcake" or "Sweetcheeks" aren't on the list...

It makes it much more entertaining to think that in universe Savior-of-the-fucking-Galaxy Shepard had some damn embarrassing first name, and EVERYBODY KNOWS IT, and just calls him/her Commander Shepard, while desperately trying not to burst out laughing in your face

evilnancyreagan

May 1, 2014
Really? I am one of the only Ass Sheppards in Mass Effect?

I'm not mad at you interwebs,

but, I am disappointed...

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
I went with April for my female option, and Fargo for my male option. I'm so unique! I always create them first, and then choose a name that felt fitting for their appearance.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Hawkeye21 said:
Objectable said:
Really, if last names were an option, my Shepard would have so many different names
<spoiler=names my shepard would halve if I could do last names>

Slab Bulkhead
Fridge Largemeat
Punt Speedchunk
Butch Deadlift
Bold Bigflank

Splint Chesthair
Flint Ironstag
Bolt Vanderhuge
Thick McRunfast
Blast Hardcheese

Buff Drinklots
Trunk Slamchest
Fist Rockbone
Stump Beefgnaw
Smash Lampjaw

Punch Rockgroin
Buck Plankchest
Stump Chunkman
Dirk Hardpeck
Rip Steakface

Slate Slabrock
Crud Bonemeal
Brick Hardmeat
Rip Sidecheek
Punch Sideiron

Gristle McThornBody
Slake Fistcrunch
Buff Hardback
Bob Johnson
Blast Thickneck

Crunch Buttsteak
Slab Squatthrust
Lump Beefrock
Touch Rustrod
Reef Blastbody

Big McLargeHuge
Smoke Manmuscle
Beat Punchbeef
Pack Blowfist
Roll Fizzlebeef

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The first time I played mass effect I was drinking and decided it would be "hilarious" when his name was Poncho.

I had to play as Poncho Sheppard for three games.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Objectable said:
Hawkeye21 said:
Objectable said:
Really, if last names were an option, my Shepard would have so many different names

Slab Bulkhead
Fridge Largemeat
Punt Speedchunk
Butch Deadlift
Bold Bigflank

Splint Chesthair
Flint Ironstag
Bolt Vanderhuge
Thick McRunfast
Blast Hardcheese

Buff Drinklots
Trunk Slamchest
Fist Rockbone
Stump Beefgnaw
Smash Lampjaw

Punch Rockgroin
Buck Plankchest
Stump Chunkman
Dirk Hardpeck
Rip Steakface

Slate Slabrock
Crud Bonemeal
Brick Hardmeat
Rip Sidecheek
Punch Sideiron

Gristle McThornBody
Slake Fistcrunch
Buff Hardback
Bob Johnson
Blast Thickneck

Crunch Buttsteak
Slab Squatthrust
Lump Beefrock
Touch Rustrod
Reef Blastbody

Big McLargeHuge
Smoke Manmuscle
Beat Punchbeef
Pack Blowfist
Roll Fizzlebeef
Thanks for the list, though I already kinda used some of those. I always thought that having a right name makes games with overly manly protagonists much more entertaining to play

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Names were as follows: James and Daervin for males, Scarlet and Alyx for girls. Whig makes mr wonder if they counted my "Alyx" as their "Alex"

Branovices

Oct 15, 2008
Objectable said:
Hawkeye21 said:
Objectable said:

Slab Bulkhead
Fridge Largemeat
Punt Speedchunk
Butch Deadlift
Bold Bigflank

Splint Chesthair
Flint Ironstag
Bolt Vanderhuge
Thick McRunfast
Blast Hardcheese

Buff Drinklots
Trunk Slamchest
Fist Rockbone
Stump Beefgnaw
Smash Lampjaw

Punch Rockgroin
Buck Plankchest
Stump Chunkman
Dirk Hardpeck
Rip Steakface

Slate Slabrock
Crud Bonemeal
Brick Hardmeat
Rip Sidecheek
Punch Sideiron

Gristle McThornBody
Slake Fistcrunch
Buff Hardback
Bob Johnson
Blast Thickneck

Crunch Buttsteak
Slab Squatthrust
Lump Beefrock
Touch Rustrod
Reef Blastbody

Big McLargeHuge
Smoke Manmuscle
Beat Punchbeef
Pack Blowfist
Roll Fizzlebeef
That list is what I imagine everyone in Gears of War is named.

As for me; ManShep: Adrian, FemShep: Katherine.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Apparently none of my Shepards made the list.

Femshep Infiltrator - Kyra
Femshep Adept - Kiana
Femshep Soldier - Alexia
Broshep Vanguard - Wolfgang

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I'm surprised that "FemShep" wasn't used as a first name as much like what I did.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
You see, I was smart. I called My Sheppard 'Commander', so everyone at least referred to her by her first name sometimes (Seriously though, I never understood US entertainment and everyone being refereed to by their last name)

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Bumfluff isn't on there :(

It's good to know that the people that ended up buying ME were indeed the demographic Bioware was aiming for. The bland people that would name a character Jack in a fucking space war.