BioWare Reveals Most Used Cmdr. Shepard Names in Mass Effect

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Anais was my main (though still need to sit down and go through ME3)with Anemone and Viola as alts.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Reaper195 said:
You see, I was smart. I called My Sheppard 'Commander', so everyone at least referred to her by her first name sometimes (Seriously though, I never understood US entertainment and everyone being refereed to by their last name)
Its the way you do things in the millitary. You call the person "Sir/Mam", their rank, or their last name. Its rude to call them by their first.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Tuesday Night Fever said:
Broshep Vanguard - Wolfgang
Hah, I like this one. Wolfgang Shepard, in honor of his German grandad :)

This first place, Jack, is weird. It's so close to the default name, why would you even change it...

I think my guy was Dorian, or something. The fem Shep... don't remember, gotta check.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Objectable said:
Hawkeye21 said:
Objectable said:
I'm surprised "Cocksucker" or "XXX360NoScope666XXX" aren't on there. I've played the games a couple dozen times and always chose those.
I'm surprised "Titty", "Beefcake" or "Sweetcheeks" aren't on the list...
Really, if last names were an option, my Shepard would have so many different names
<spoiler=names my shepard would halve if I could do last names>

Slab Bulkhead
Fridge Largemeat
Punt Speedchunk
Butch Deadlift
Bold Bigflank

Splint Chesthair
Flint Ironstag
Bolt Vanderhuge
Thick McRunfast
Blast Hardcheese

Buff Drinklots
Trunk Slamchest
Fist Rockbone
Stump Beefgnaw
Smash Lampjaw

Punch Rockgroin
Buck Plankchest
Stump Chunkman
Dirk Hardpeck
Rip Steakface

Slate Slabrock
Crud Bonemeal
Brick Hardmeat
Rip Sidecheek
Punch Sideiron

Gristle McThornBody
Slake Fistcrunch
Buff Hardback
Bob Johnson
Blast Thickneck

Crunch Buttsteak
Slab Squatthrust
Lump Beefrock
Touch Rustrod
Reef Blastbody

Big McLargeHuge
Smoke Manmuscle
Beat Punchbeef
Pack Blowfist
Roll Fizzlebeef
Hey, what do you think you're doing, trying to start a mutiny? In space? A space mutiny?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Genocidicles said:
Huh, I went with 'Jack'.

I feel weirdly validated for some stupid reason.
That's my actual name, imagine how I feel.

But yeah, kind of weird to see. I don't think Jack is a particularly common character name, and while I know it's fairly common IRL I doubt it's that overwhelming.

Still, good to see I guess!

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Reaper195 said:
You see, I was smart. I called My Sheppard 'Commander', so everyone at least referred to her by her first name sometimes (Seriously though, I never understood US entertainment and everyone being refereed to by their last name)
I was in the US Air Force for 6 years, and I can count the number of fellow airmen whose first names I knew on one hand. You're either your surname or your rank.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, in almost any RPG I use my own name for my main character or my name spelled backwards (thanks for the idea Recess), but for Mass Effect I just use the default name.

FizzyIzze said:
'Alex' eh? Aside from being your namesake, I remember it was the name given in one of the Deus Ex games, which was a clever way of accommodating both male and female players.
That was actually the ONLY thing clever about Invisible Wars, giving you the option to choose between male and female and BOTH were named Alex, well played Warren Spector, it's a shame the rest of the game is pure and unadultered garbage.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
nevarran said:
Tuesday Night Fever said:
Broshep Vanguard - Wolfgang
Hah, I like this one. Wolfgang Shepard, in honor of his German grandad :)
I actually named him after a randomly generated character from the original XCOM. Back when I was at college some roommates and I were trying to play the game for our first time, but none of us knew any of the controls, didn't have a manual, and the UI wasn't particularly helpful. Needless to say, our team got slaughtered... except for one lone badass. His name was Wolfgang Gunkel, and he was an expert at killing things with grenades.

Ever since then we started naming characters in other games after him. For a while we actually started creating a little story about how they were actually all related, creating a sort of Tommy Westphall Universe for gaming. By the time we graduated there were something like 25 generations of Wolfgang Gunkels.

I don't know about my roommates, but I still honor the guy whenever I get a chance to make a named character. Like when I played Guild Wars 2 and named my Human Engineer after him, and became an expert at killing things with grenades.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I suspect they cheated and left out the truly most populair ones because they where profane.
Anyway, I always use my cool nickname for RPG heroes.
But next time I might name my Link "Fagballs", you know, to honor Yahtzee's awesome Phantom Hourglass review ;)

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Kinda surprised "Adrian" wasn't one of those top 5 names. Could've sworn Bioware did this poll years ago and it was one of the more common names back then.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
I feel unique having named my Shepard's Johanathan, Cassandra, and Christine

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
SupahGamuh said:
Well, in almost any RPG I use my own name for my main character or my name spelled backwards (thanks for the idea Recess), but for Mass Effect I just use the default name.

FizzyIzze said:
'Alex' eh? Aside from being your namesake, I remember it was the name given in one of the Deus Ex games, which was a clever way of accommodating both male and female players.
That was actually the ONLY thing clever about Invisible Wars, giving you the option to choose between male and female and BOTH were named Alex, well played Warren Spector, it's a shame the rest of the game is pure and unadultered garbage.
Yeah, I didn't want to say anything beyond the 'Alex' androgyny, with old wounds being what they are.

I checked my names in Mass Effect 1 and I really have no idea what the hell I was thinking:

Soldier
Yob'gineer
Dingus H.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Didn't expect Jessica to be on that list to begin with. Mostly because that was the name for mine (and ONLY. Had a second, male but that guy was just there for the sake of farming achievements in the first game)

Matey

Jun 25, 2008
What the? Does this mean I'm the only one who played as Rhinoceros Shepard? How could that not be the most popular name?!

Leonbelmont64

Jun 7, 2010
kinda surprised my male name isn't on the list guess Leon isn't a popular name at all, though castlevania and resident evil have 2 very bad ass characters named Leon. My Femshep though was Aelanna and I knew that would be unique.

Thetwistedendgame

Apr 5, 2011
I named my default Shepard "Commander" for giggles. Then everyone kept calling me by my first name and Anderson wouldn't let me submit a formal complaint on disrespect.