BioWare Reveals Most Used Cmdr. Shepard Names in Mass Effect

chantzzzzz

Nov 7, 2008
Kind of a shame they only released this many names. Would've been interesting to see the top 20 or 100 or something similar. Also, a selection of the least common names would probably prove intriguing.

Not surprised that neither of mine showed up. Went with 'Chantz' for my first BroShep and 'Toran' for the second.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
I only ever played as Male Shep in my, er, two playthroughs.

"Ark Shepard" and "Empyrrean Shepard" were my chosen names. The former fits better than the latter in this trilogy.

Should I want to do a third playthrough (probably as Male Shep once more, but who knows), I will use something from the Kamen Rider franchise.

Verde, Ryuki, Zolda (if female), Raia (once again, female), Gai, Kaixa, Psyga (biotic class), Garren, Leangle (female), Larc (female), Ixa (again, female), Gatack/Gattack, Hercus, Ketaros, Zeronos, Ryugen, Ryuga and Sigurd.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Jack is a common fictional name. Tom Cruise alone has played so many he should just call himself Jack.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I named my Shepard Tenel Ka Shepard, and I always gave her red hair. Bonus points if you know what she's from.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Interesting to see Alex there on both sexes. I've always felt Alex was a good name.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Well, i just know that this is Sheep Shepards favorite thread on the normandy!

And i named both the male and female version Sheep.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Genocidicles said:
Huh, I went with 'Jack'.

I feel weirdly validated for some stupid reason.
Same here, in my case because it's my actual name. Am I the only one who does that?

EDIT: For other playthroughs, I also used the names Roman, Iris, and Maria.

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
What's with the number of Sarahs? Not only is it top for English it's also top for German, Italian AND French. Is it the default name or something? (Only played ME1, don't remember whether there was a default)

StormDragonZ

Dec 6, 2013
Of the three times I've played, I've used Clyde, Golgo & Xanataer.

What surprises me, or should I say doesn't surprise me, is they are regular, common names. The expectation of something silly felt like a bait and switch almost.

Apr 5, 2008
My male Sheps [http://www.masseffect2faces.com/index.php?faceID=534] always had my own first name (David), green eyes, brown hair and brown armour (w/ dark brown camo decal) and alternates between a van dyke or stubble (wish there was a proper beard option). My female Sheps [http://www.masseffect2faces.com/index.php?faceID=532] have usually been Kate as it happens (tho I now I feel like a cliché), green eyed, red hair (actual red, not ginger) with deep red armour. Both almost always wear the Sentry Interface (occasionally Recon Hood) since it's the only headgear I like the look of (I modded it in both games so the game flags it as having a rebreather (so Shepard can wear it even in a vacuum).

They have ALL been Vanguards. Every single time. My next one will also be a Vanguard as will the one after that. Because nothing says "I love you" better than a Biotic Charge and Claymore blast to the face.

Those pictures aren't as good as they look in game, or strangely how they looked in ME and ME3, both of which looked better. ME3 in particular with a hi-res textures mod, the characters looked much better.

EDIT: I just remembered that one downloaded save I used for a playthru I forgot to mod the name when I changed his class in a save editor. I did have one playthru as "DonutsFTW Shepard". His armour was hot pink; his Claymore was not.
(Wow, I posted a similar story [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.299439.11899821] in an ME thread on this very site three years ago!)
Just found the save actually, still on masseffectsaves.com [http://www.masseffectsaves.com/mpsl.php] about 15 down. Was a Paragon/Liara run.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Interesting. I called one of my male Shepards 'Leslie', because I thought the embarrassing name would be funny and explain why nobody ever called him that. It really put that conversation with Dr Chakwas in perspective.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Reaper195 said:
(Seriously though, I never understood US entertainment and everyone being refereed to by their last name)
To add to what the other people have already said about names in the military, when I was in high school quite a few of the friends I had in the main "nerdy" circle I hung out with referred to each other using our last names, simply because they sounded more interesting to say. It's not really just an entertainment thing.

Tuesday Night Fever said:
Apparently none of my Shepards made the list.

Femshep Infiltrator - Kyra
I don't believe I've named a Shepard that yet, but "Kyra" (same spelling) is one of my go-to names for female characters, as it happens.

Now I need to recheck what my Shepard names have been... I may have stuck with the defaults for two of them.

Yep, looks like it -
John
David
Jane
Rhea

I believe I had a Mark in there at one point as well.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I was wondering if Jennifer would be a common one for Femshep...

I named mine Sally

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Gotta go with Fred.

Although I did name one of them Jack back when I was still a fan of Lost.

I'm surprised John isn't up their to be honest.