BioWare Reveals Most Used Cmdr. Shepard Names in Mass Effect

SamTheNewb

Apr 16, 2013
Sgt. Sykes said:
So... Most people were not satisfied with John and changed it to Jack? Seriously? Changing from the most bland name in the universe to the most bland name in the action games/movies universe? How innovative can you get?

I think I named my femshep Kiki or something like that.
Well, people have to remember, that to be the most commonly selected, it has to be ubiquitous as the likelihood of many people selecting the same unique name, well defies the definition of unique.

Also, we don't know the total usage of these names. Jack very well may be <2% of total renamed Shepards, but still be the most used.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Well I always used my own name - Jake - but it was largely irrelevant due to the unbelievably formal universe of Mass Effect, where even the most intimate lover will only ever address you by your rank and surname.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, add another to the list of people disappointed at the lack of creativity on display. Although to be fair, Jack is a sufficiently cool name. I remember calling my male soldier Arcturus, although I had one of every class at least, and they'd have had similarly obscure names.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Female: Manda, lady, Rosa.
Male: Dos Santos, Bartolomeo, Ezio

Well they may not be on the list, but they're mine!

Dragonbums said:
s69-5 said:
Hasn't anyone notice that Jack Shephard (the most popular male name) is this character:

From Lost

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the face model.

The dutch model Mark Vanderloo

Trillovinum

Dec 15, 2010
Well the first few playthroughs of the first mass effect sheps were just John and Jane.
But then when ME2 came out I started doing full playthroughs of ME1 with characters who I named using the first letter of the name of the character I intended to romance.

Most were then done with Thomas and Gabby... hehe...
I never did get around to an Adrian, Marius, Liam, Tricia or Jaqueline though. Kelly was started but never made it past ME1.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Didn't play Mass Effect, but if I had, I'd probably have called the male one Clyde (my standard name for male RPG characters in contemporary and future settings).

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Objectable said:
Hawkeye21 said:
Objectable said:
I'm surprised "Cocksucker" or "XXX360NoScope666XXX" aren't on there. I've played the games a couple dozen times and always chose those.
I'm surprised "Titty", "Beefcake" or "Sweetcheeks" aren't on the list...
Really, if last names were an option, my Shepard would have so many different names
<spoiler=names my shepard would halve if I could do last names>

Slab Bulkhead
Fridge Largemeat
Punt Speedchunk
Butch Deadlift
Bold Bigflank

Splint Chesthair
Flint Ironstag
Bolt Vanderhuge
Thick McRunfast
Blast Hardcheese

Buff Drinklots
Trunk Slamchest
Fist Rockbone
Stump Beefgnaw
Smash Lampjaw

Punch Rockgroin
Buck Plankchest
Stump Chunkman
Dirk Hardpeck
Rip Steakface

Slate Slabrock
Crud Bonemeal
Brick Hardmeat
Rip Sidecheek
Punch Sideiron

Gristle McThornBody
Slake Fistcrunch
Buff Hardback
Bob Johnson
Blast Thickneck

Crunch Buttsteak
Slab Squatthrust
Lump Beefrock
Touch Rustrod
Reef Blastbody

Big McLargeHuge
Smoke Manmuscle
Beat Punchbeef
Pack Blowfist
Roll Fizzlebeef
I loved that episode of MST3K. =3

OT: Can't say I'm too surprised about that list. Personally my FemSheps were almost always named Melissa and my MaleSheps tended to have more "exotic" names like Xander.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Surprised "Dick" wasnt on there. Seems like that would be the most common name that isn't the name of the player, which is where im assuming most of these come from.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I think I used the standard name most of the time. Never really used my name with Male Shepard. I just didn't think it sounded good. Besides, I rarely use my real name in games.

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
Reaper195 said:
You see, I was smart. I called My Sheppard 'Commander', so everyone at least referred to her by her first name sometimes (Seriously though, I never understood US entertainment and everyone being refereed to by their last name)
Really? Thats exactly what I called my Shepherd! We must be long lost brothers or something!

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I named mine Greg 'cause after a bit of physical editing he looked like a Greg. And Greg Shepard was an amusing name. My brother named his Buffalo Shepard and played exclusively Renegade.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I played through ME1 in one long week-end in December 2010. Before that I had watched a couple of seasons of a certain comedy series. Our fate is in your hands, Bazinga Shepard.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
My friend names his after Che Guevara and refuses to acknowledge that "Ernesto Shepard" just doesn't sound right for a half-Canadian soldier.

novem

Nov 18, 2009
I always name characters after me when given the option. I get more enjoyment from living in the world as I really would than playing as a character.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
putowtin said:
Female: Manda, lady, Rosa.
Male: Dos Santos, Bartolomeo, Ezio

Well they may not be on the list, but they're mine!

Dragonbums said:
s69-5 said:
Hasn't anyone notice that Jack Shephard (the most popular male name) is this character:

From Lost

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the face model.

The dutch model Mark Vanderloo
Not gonna lie seeing these side by side is giving me some serious uncanny valley symptoms.

Kusko25

Jan 17, 2012
Ummm is anyone else wondering how they got the info for that statistic?
I mean the multiplayer doesn't rely on character profiles and aside from that the only place the names are uploaded is in the savegame-cloud.
Did BioWare go through EA to get that information and is EA even allowed to pull data from the gamers personal cloud?
Because if I were head of a big company and allowed to do that, I'd totally use that in market research.

Also none of my names were on there. Ha! I'm creative!

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Well my Primary Shepard is male and I called him "Lion" - this immediately gave him a 10% boost to the "balls-size" stat! Well he was a Solider class and set to become the Galaxy's champion - I couldn't exactly call him "Tarquin" could I, FFS!

As I also wanted to play different classes and also dabble with the other end of the morality spectrum, experience different dialogue, romances etc. I created two FemSheps, "Rosie" (Engineer, Paragon) and "Carbine" (Adept, Renegade), both were named after characters I created for my own stories and whatnot.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Objectable said:
Hawkeye21 said:
Objectable said:
I'm surprised "Cocksucker" or "XXX360NoScope666XXX" aren't on there. I've played the games a couple dozen times and always chose those.
I'm surprised "Titty", "Beefcake" or "Sweetcheeks" aren't on the list...
Really, if last names were an option, my Shepard would have so many different names
<spoiler=names my shepard would halve if I could do last names>

Slab Bulkhead
Fridge Largemeat
Punt Speedchunk
Butch Deadlift
Bold Bigflank

Splint Chesthair
Flint Ironstag
Bolt Vanderhuge
Thick McRunfast
Blast Hardcheese

Buff Drinklots
Trunk Slamchest
Fist Rockbone
Stump Beefgnaw
Smash Lampjaw

Punch Rockgroin
Buck Plankchest
Stump Chunkman
Dirk Hardpeck
Rip Steakface

Slate Slabrock
Crud Bonemeal
Brick Hardmeat
Rip Sidecheek
Punch Sideiron

Gristle McThornBody
Slake Fistcrunch
Buff Hardback
Bob Johnson
Blast Thickneck

Crunch Buttsteak
Slab Squatthrust
Lump Beefrock
Touch Rustrod
Reef Blastbody

Big McLargeHuge
Smoke Manmuscle
Beat Punchbeef
Pack Blowfist
Roll Fizzlebeef
I wish I could remember more of those off the top of my head whenever Space Mutiny is mentioned.