BioWare Reveals The Old Republic's Smuggler Class

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
BioWare Reveals The Old Republic's Smuggler Class

Scruffy-looking nerf herders the world over now have a class of their own in BioWare's Star Wars MMOG, The Old Republic: the Smuggler, a sneaky, money-loving rogue who's quick on the draw.

The Smuggler [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90382-Bioware-Formally-Unveils-SW-TOR-Bounty-Hunter] is a fearless bandit who might not have the fancy gadgets or powerful gear of other classes, but more than makes up for it in street smarts, sharpshooting and supreme suaveness.

"Stacking up enemies as fast as they stack up credits, Smugglers only survive in this galaxy by being slick, sneaky and street-smart," BioWare writes. "Whether sweet-talking an attractive alien or bargaining with a hardened criminal contact, the Smuggler's charm is a notorious asset, and often the ticket to turning around a deteriorating situation."

When they can't smooth talk their way out of sticky situations, Smugglers can throw down with the best of them, using a fighting style that's "guileful and improvisational" and makes use of "stealth and trickery to catch opponents off guard." A stun grenade can set up an easy headshot on an enemy droid. Tactical rolls and evasive maneuvers complimented by ace marksmanship make getting into and shooting from cover easy and stylish.

They basically sound like Rogues with blasters, and I have no problem with that. Smugglers will be part of the Republic faction. Now, who you callin' scruffy lookin'?

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Keane Ng said:
"Stacking up enemies as fast as they stack up credits, Smugglers only survive in this galaxy by being slick, sneaky and street-smart," BioWare writes. "Whether sweet-talking an attractive alien or bargaining with a hardened criminal contact, the Smuggler's charm is a notorious asset, and often the ticket to turning around a deteriorating situation."

When they can't smooth talk their way out of sticky situations, Smugglers can throw down with the best of them, using a fighting style that's "guileful and improvisational" and makes use of "stealth and trickery to catch opponents off guard." A stun grenade can set up an easy headshot on an enemy droid. Tactical rolls and evasive maneuvers complimented by ace marksmanship make getting into and shooting from cover easy and stylish.
I can't help but feel that speaking quality will be quite disappointing.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I don't care what I can play as.

As long as I can get an HK-## droid at my side. You have to admit, it would be hilarious to hear:

"Sarcastic Praise: Oh, good kill, Master! That was uber-1337 hax0rz! Definitely a worthy effort! ... for a meatbag."

Woem

May 28, 2009
mentor07825 said:
This was posted today?

I found out almost a week ago.
What was your source for this? The information was just released on the official site...

I do find it kind of odd that the smuggler class is classified as a good guy. I'd prefer to see them as "neutral". This makes me wonder what their Sith counterpart will be.

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
This slightly raises the question if charisma stats will effect conversation with other players in the game.
And this
mentor07825 said:
I'm looking forward to the game and seeing how the classes balance out in the end.

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
Mehh, who knew, some of the comments on youtube came true. There really is a smuggler class...

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Yay, now I can live off my Harrison Ford badass dreams!
I thought that's what Firefly was about...you know, it seems like Han's life if he never met Luke.

Oh, and the class interests me. Especially the way their fighting style is described.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
ZeroMachine said:

As long as I can get an HK-## droid at my side. You have to admit, it would be hilarious to hear:

"Sarcastic Praise: Oh, good kill, Master! That was uber-1337 hax0rz! Definitely a worthy effort! ... for a meatbag."
What if you could be an HK droid..... now that would be cool.
I just hope that they use the same system used in KOTOR for the combat.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
bue519 said:
ZeroMachine said:

Agreed. Unfortunately, game-pausing will be impossible. I doubt people would enjoy either
A) The ENTIRE GALAXY pausing every time a combat round ends or
B) Walking along to see two enemies, eyes locked, but doing nothing because the player went AFK.

Both sound hilarious, though :D

But, hey, guess I'll just have to work on thinking on my feet.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
bue519 said:
ZeroMachine said:

Agreed. Unfortunately, game-pausing will be impossible. I doubt people would enjoy either
A) The ENTIRE GALAXY pausing every time a combat round ends or
B) Walking along to see two enemies, eyes locked, but doing nothing because the player went AFK.

Both sound hilarious, though :D

But, hey, guess I'll just have to work on thinking on my feet.

Lol imagine the mayhem if you could pause the entire Galaxy.

Jul 9, 2008
woem said:
mentor07825 said:
This was posted today?

I found out almost a week ago.
What was your source for this? The information was just released on the official site...

I do find it kind of odd that the smuggler class is classified as a good guy. I'd prefer to see them as "neutral". This makes me wonder what their Sith counterpart will be.
I prefer to think of them as privateers. They might do nefarious things for self gain, but it's all serving a cause (or, more likely, hurting another) in the end.

It sounds like I've finally found my class for this game. Bounty Hunter was close, but this sounds like a perfect fit.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Bounty Hunter or Smuggler?
Decisions decisions.

It all comes down to who I love more, Fett or Solo.
I'll probably spend so long deciding that I never get to play the game.

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
Cautiously optimistic until mechanics are released, to be honest. It seems interesting - a blend of utility support and rogue like tactics. But I reserve judgment until my hands are on the product (even if it's beta).

I think the way Bioware is approaching these class introductions is very lore and story-centric. This is nice as it blends into their overall design, but I am curious about nuts and bolts and how a story where "you are the hero" works when grouped or in conflict with other players.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
"rogues with blasters"

i can't help but giggle when we look at all mmo's through wow-tinted glasses