BioWare Slays Dragon Age II Expansion

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
They can redeem themselves by returning to what they were doing in DA:O - translating the Baldur's Gate formula to 3D. And with, say, no DLC or DRM, just expansions and 3-4 years of development. That would be some praiseworthy shit.

But i highly doubt it would happen, i doubt BioWare have the creative talent nowadays to make something even remotely close to the Infinity Engine titles.

So i just wait for EA to finally ax this shadow of a company.

Gylukios

The Red Comet
Dec 3, 2008
Probably means that they realized the expansion they were working on was big enough/different enough to make a whole game of its own, and decided to do that. Hopefully, they'll flesh it out a bit more than that.

Disappointed that I 'll have to wait for more Dragon Age though, really like that series.

samus_smash

Apr 2, 2010
Aw...come on guys. DA2 wasn't that bad. It was...okay. I enjoyed it.

And as long as DA3 has my warden meeting up with my Hawke and having epic, buddy cop style adventures throughout the land, I will be happy.

Jayse

Sep 22, 2009
I loved the titties off of Dragon Age 2.

Unironically. I'm genuinely sad there will be no more to Hawke's Tale

jibjab963

Sep 16, 2008
I feel weird that while the game had many flaws, and I admit it, that I still enjoyed DA2. It wasn't the best work Bioware has ever done but any other game company could of made it a lot worse. The DLC was really good though, and if they would of continued with the good DLC trend Exalted March could of been amazing. Its a shame...

Flavio Kuperman

Dec 14, 2011
TheRookie8 said:
Dragon Age can improve upon the previous two games by fixing its flaws and learning from other RPG's.

It must not have excessive repeated levels. This was DA2's most damning offense. Also, it should retain the ability to choose between an elf, dwarf, and human character (or more) as Origins did. If need be, keep a silent protagonist instead of a voiced protagonist, though The Old Republic has made me believe that Bioware can do some pretty awesome voice acting.

Dragon Age 3 can also improve using elements from other RPG's, specifically Skyrim and Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning. Skyrim gives you the ability to switch between first-person and third-person view. I believe if Dragon Age does this, it could be a fantastic and fresh new mechanic to experiencing the world (not in combat, but when simply exploring or in public spaces).

USE RECKONING'S COMBAT MECHANICS!!! This game has revolutionized RPG combat, it simply lacks the character depth and story of Dragon Age. Putting the best of these two games together ensures a massive success!!

Lastly, updating the look of the game's characters might be overdue. The Witcher 2 had some of the best-looking NPC's I've seen in a RPG for a long while. Borrow some of that.

And as a personal request, more dwarves. (specifically Varric, Sigrun, and OGHREN!! YEAHHH!!)
Reckoning didn't revolutionize RPG combat. Many RPGs before it had the "Press X to win!!!11!!1" mechanic, including DA2. Reckoning just made it extra shiny and fast-paced.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
TheRookie8 said:
Dragon Age can improve upon the previous two games by fixing its flaws and learning from other RPG's.

It must not have excessive repeated levels. This was DA2's most damning offense. Also, it should retain the ability to choose between an elf, dwarf, and human character (or more) as Origins did. If need be, keep a silent protagonist instead of a voiced protagonist, though The Old Republic has made me believe that Bioware can do some pretty awesome voice acting.

Dragon Age 3 can also improve using elements from other RPG's, specifically Skyrim and Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning. Skyrim gives you the ability to switch between first-person and third-person view. I believe if Dragon Age does this, it could be a fantastic and fresh new mechanic to experiencing the world (not in combat, but when simply exploring or in public spaces).

USE RECKONING'S COMBAT MECHANICS!!! This game has revolutionized RPG combat, it simply lacks the character depth and story of Dragon Age. Putting the best of these two games together ensures a massive success!!

Lastly, updating the look of the game's characters might be overdue. The Witcher 2 had some of the best-looking NPC's I've seen in a RPG for a long while. Borrow some of that.

And as a personal request, more dwarves. (specifically Varric, Sigrun, and OGHREN!! YEAHHH!!)
In terms of action RPGs, I'd take Dark Souls's combat over Reckoning's any day. In fact, a DA game with the combat of Dark Souls would be amazing.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Tanis said:
So I guess this means a 'extended edition' of DA2 will be coming out soon, with the DLC.

Woohoo?
Unlikely. They only have two $10 dlc packs out, and I am pretty sure that anyone who wants DA2 already got it.

Don't get me wrong. The dlc is alright, but I doubt it will convince any to buy the game. But if you already have it their pretty worth it.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Their new project is:

Dragon Age 3: (subtitle DLC pack $5.99, free with $120 Superdeluxe edition with plastic figure made by chinese children)

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
Tanis said:
So I guess this means a 'extended edition' of DA2 will be coming out soon, with the DLC.

Woohoo?
Don't know about that they didn' release one for ME2. I was looking forward to that but now ME3 is out and no ME2 ultimate edition or even DLC pack.

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
Good riddance, while I loved DA:O I couldn't wait to finish up the main story of DA2, I consider it to be one of the worst games I've ever played. It was just so tedious to be stuck in the same 4 environments the whole time and get side quests without any context whatsoever. Glad to see them moving on. Also, this just reminded me how stupid the ending of DA2 was, no matter how much I tried to help and protect the mages throughout the entire game, I had to kill both templars and mages in the final mission. How did ME3 end again? Ah right, everyone dies.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
Pandabearparade said:
I'll translate this article for you all:

"We were going to make an expansion to Dragon Age II, but instead we decided to turn it into Dragon Age 3! Profit!"
I looked at this article and thought the exact same thing. No way they're going to trash all that work. We'll still be seeing it.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
I never actually got around to completing DA2.

That says a lot about the game, considering I loved it's predecessor.

I like the characters more though, Merrill and Varik were awesome.
As much shit as DA2 gets, I got to say that I liked the characters in DA2 more than 1. As for writing, story, gameplay, and rping, well that's a different matter...

But the characters were funny!

I also feel obligated to mention this:

ME3 endings sucks.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
So what? They're going to charge us full price for what was originally a DLC expansion?

Great guys. Keep up the good work. I'm sure that's the way to win back your fans.

I hope these peoples' houses burn down. You know, not in a way that gets any body hurt. Just in a way that teaches them about karmic retribution.

Doesn't matter to me. I'm never giving Bioware my money for anything again they've let me down one to many times.

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
Korten12 said:
Zeckt said:
Excellent news, as no one wants to continue on with a story they HATE. Mages templars, mages templars, mages templars ... NO THANK YOU!
They probably will be in the next game and be a big part. :D

OT: Aw... I would have bought it. D:
I'm hoping we get to visit the Quanari more, or maybe have a Chasind battle :D.
Though I disagree. If' Flemeth's plan is coming to fruition in DA3, Mages Templars will probably just be a side note, like in the first one.
I for one am eager to meet one of the "Old Gods". And kill one hopefully >:D. That, or to able to be a bard from day one of my adventure or maybe be a Rivani pirate! ARGH!

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
dragongit said:
Just wait, all the choices you had made in the previous 2 Dragon Age games is going to influence the outcome of the third game in the series where you get to choose between what color armor you'll be wearing when the main baddie shoves a 4 foot pike up your bum.
Wait...you mean I actually have to go and FINISH the damn game now?

Great...I knew I shouldn't have burned my disk when my estranged sister shows up hating me for no apparent reason...

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
Sonic Doctor said:
Maybe. But I'm not convinced. If you look at that sales graph posted with all the side by side comparisons - DA2 sold half of all its copies in the first week - i.e. on the back of the success of Origins.

I was ready to pre-order it, and then they released the demo. I went "What the hell", and cancelled my pre-order immediately. It took me three attempts to be bothered to get to the end of the 1 hour demo!

The sales then drop off something rapid. Sure, zero-bombing it was over the top, but no more so than zero-bombing mass effect 3. Word of mouth is certainly powerful, but most of the people I play RPGs with, who HAVE played it, all gave the same answer: "Yeah I played it. Got quite far, then couldn't be bothered to finish it." These are people with which I'm currently replaying Icewind Dale.