BioWare Stays Focused on The Old Republic

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Stays Focused on The Old Republic

BioWare's Greg Zeschuk says work on Star Wars: The Old Republic "will never end."

Star Wars: The Old Republic [http://www.swtor.com/] is going gangbusters out of the gate, but where will it be a year from now? Two years? How about five? It's impossible to say, but BioWare has a plan - a few of them, in fact.

"There are different levels of success and we have all the different models built out. While we want to be super-successful, we also need to plan for not hitting all our targets. Can we then still be profitable? Yes, but it will take longer," Creative Director Chris Ohlen told Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6573/the_making_of_star_wars_the_old_.php].

"I can say that we have plans for super success in the millions of subscribers... and then we have plans for if we have a much smaller subscriber base," he continued. "While it would be great to get the kind of numbers that World of Warcraft [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com] gets, we don't have to come close to those in order to be wildly successful. We could be well below WoW and still be incredibly profitable."

One thing he is sure about, however, is that BioWare isn't interested in jumping on the free-to-play bandwagon. It's tough to make a go of a subscription-based game because Blizzard so utterly dominates the sector but Ohlen said that The Old Republic is innovative enough to "change the way people view the AAA subscription MMO."

And for now, the future looks bright enough that the entire existing Old Republic team at BioWare Austin will be kept together to continue working on the game. "Unlike a lot of other game companies that, once they launch a game, downsize their teams radically, our plan is to keep the team together and continue to focus on building content," he said. "We're very much focused on Star Wars, Star Wars, Star Wars for the foreseeable future."

"It's hard to say right now what we may or may not do as far as future projects," added BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk. "We're really busy working on future SWTOR content as well as continuing to improve the service. This will never end."

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Bad,bad,bad and bad.
"will never end."
This to me is bad news...And should be bad news for everyone. Forgive me from reading too much tvtropes, this is a clear symptom of Sequelitis; TYPE III,IV and VII.

Ye to all who shall play this game is doomed to play a shitty game.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I liked the innovation that stripped almost all exploration in order to make linear paths in sterile environments. It streamlines the game so that idiots don't get lost.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Hopefully this doesn't detract in any way from the other Bioware studios that are making games I actually plan to buy.

JeppeH

Nov 18, 2009
SWToR innovative? - No it isn't.

Only thing that is new to the MMO-scene is the fully-voiced feature.. and yes, it is a feature.. Also it is a expensive feature that has the unfortunate side-effect that quests are really hard to change and nudge from a developer perspective - and therefore if there is a nonsense quest, it is likely to stay that way.

Everything else is standard or below standard MMORPG stuff.. the grind, the overloaded servers, the annoying people who get in the way be kill-stealing, the non-savegame thing where if you want to redo a choice you have to restart a whole new character - and because of this - every choice ingame has ZERO impact on your characters story or world. the bad UI, the stupid AI, the gold-seller-spam, the PvP vs. PvE fucked up discussion and fucked up balancing of gear.

I so wished they had just made a sequel to knights of the old republic.. singleplayer or co-op.

I am incredibly lucky to have been in the beta for 2 months.. and I am SO not getting SWTOR.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Ohlen said that The Old Republic is innovative enough to "change the way people view the AAA subscription MMO."
Innovative.

Ha... ha... ha...

And for now, the future looks bright enough that the entire existing Old Republic team at BioWare Austin will be kept together to continue working on the game. "Unlike a lot of other game companies that, once they launch a game, downsize their teams radically, our plan is to keep the team together and continue to focus on building content," he said. "We're very much focused on Star Wars, Star Wars, Star Wars for the foreseeable future."
"For now."

Jesus Christ, it's launch day. Bioware pat themselves on the back and act like the saviours of the MMO genre (again) because they're not downsizing their team on launch day?

"We're really busy working on future SWTOR content as well as continuing to improve the service. This will never end."
So... like every other MMO then?

This, right here, is why I dislike this game beyond the failings of the game itself. The hype cycle has been one endless parade of Bioware devs making inane fucking comments like this, all the while acting like they're the Second Coming. I know PR is all about talking your product up, but do they have to be such arrogant pricks about it?

EDIT: I'm gonna blame EA for this. There has to be a reason why this all feels like BF3 vs MW3 all over again. It's like EA has a goon at every interview to ensure that they only tell us what's good by obsessively harping on what the competition does that's bad.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
so ... they planned ahead? good for them, now they can continue to be uninteresting for years to come. 'never ending' *snickers* so just like every other MMO eh?

mad825 said:
This to me is bad news...And should be bad news for everyone. Forgive me from reading too much tvtropes, this is a clear symptom of Sequelitis; TYPE III,IV and VII.
>.> can not believe i'm a ask, but you have the link to that?

fi6eka said:
Or do they mean the part where you have to go trough and entire diologe in order to find out how many ewoks the bastard wants dead.
never enough, never ever enough of the little bastards