BioWare Supports Beleaguered Writer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Tanakh said:
Andy Chalk said:
Why, then?
Yahtzee's column, some featured articles, Yahtzee's vids, lately Jim's vids, some friends i met through here, the comics and to post of forums in my freetime, in that order. I do dislike most of the editorial columnist here, but at least they are fun to talk to :D
I mean, why are you in my thread?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Drago-Morph said:
erttheking said:
Brad Shepard said:
erttheking said:
Brad Shepard said:
erttheking said:
Brad Shepard said:
erttheking said:
Brad Shepard said:
I heard about her new book, how piss poor it is, plus she wrote some really bad parts of DA:O and I just have to say this, the fact that they are adding male homosexuality in the last installment of Shepard's story seems very off if you ask me.

All the same, saw the title of this article, had to grab this.

Wow, there were so many things wrong with that sentence. A series that started off by advertising lesbian sex and it's a bad move that they appeal to women who like guy on guy action...the Hell?

OT: The guy is getting flamed like Hell...I don't really feel sorry for him.
do you people even read? I said MALE.
Did you read my post? I flat out stated that ME started by advertising lesbian sex, and now they're appealing to women by adding guy on guy action. (Yes girls like that, it's what girl on girl is to us)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YaoiFangirl

Check the real life folder.

So what are you trying to say? Girl on girl is fine in ME but guy on guy is going too far? Word that in a way that actually makes sense please.
What im saying is that has been in there sense game one, and im fine with that, but Male Shepard has had no homosexual options for the first two games, it feels shoehorned in.
Really? Funny, I seem to recall that romancing Tali with a Femshep was impossible in the second game but now is possible in the first game. So is that shoehorned in? And can you remind me why adding things to a game is bad? Do you just want something to stay the same forever? Also it was aliens only, which was cheating.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DiscountLesbians

By the way, you do know that it was originally going to be possible to romance Kaiden and Ashley in the first game right?
Ok, lets start this off by saying Tali is only able to be romanced with Male Shepard, 2, Now that im thinking about it, Is it a homosexual relationship with an alien of an asexual race? and 3, it did not make it in, so its non canon.
Yes, in the second game, in the third game it has been confirmed that a Femshep can woo her. Also, it means that they wanted it to be a part of the original game, of course they would work it in when they got the chance. Also what's the big deal? This is one of those things that you have to hunt for, they're not shoving it down your throat. You don't like it? Well...it wasn't for you.
Wait, where was it confirmed FemShep can romance Tali in ME3?
You might have to dig a little, but look at this
http://www.theaveragegamer.com/2011/05/15/mass-effect-3-to-include-all-gay-options/

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Brad Shepard said:
as a Male, who could you be gay with?
Kaiden Alenko, provided you save him instead of Ashley in ME1 (I didn't). Isn't ShepMcDaddyPants & Kaiden a potential sex scene in ME1?

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Tanakh said:
Andy Chalk said:
Why, then?
Yahtzee's column, some featured articles, Yahtzee's vids, lately Jim's vids, some friends i met through here, the comics and to post of forums in my freetime, in that order. I do dislike most of the editorial columnist here, but at least they are fun to talk to :D
I mean, why are you in my thread?
Can't one of you be the bigger man and let it go? This thread has sunk so low already.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Spot1990 said:
Humm, you are right, she does say that she sucks at playing and that that turns her away from videogames, and that she wished she could skip the playing parts. I guess i am just biased against that, i have heard endless times from biologist that they suck at math and that it turns them again from it and that it shouldn't be part of their curriculum... witch is technically true, you can be a bad to decent biologist without math, but you can't be a very good one (or at the very least makes it HIGHLY unlikely). And Bioware games in the lowest difficulty are as hard as wiping your ass, well, assuming you NEVER played videogames i guess they are as hard as climbing a stairs while talking on a phone (ie. unless you have brain damage, motor damage, are a toddler or are absolutely unwilling to do it, its a given that you can)

About her disliking it, granted, it's not explicit but it's implied, lets say you walk into a bar and tell one dude "boy, you sure are the ugliest dumbest MOFO in here", you technically ain't saying he is either dumb or ugly in absolute terms, but you are implying it. I assume a writer can use language decently, even if it's spoken, so when you are asked whats your less favourite thing about your work and you answer "playing the games" I assume you either dislike to play them or you are a nutjob that loves to pay to the IRS, be in traffic jams, all your coworkers and your boss are splendid, have amazing health plan, incredible hours, amazing pay and are a citizen of the united states of nofuckingwere.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Tanakh said:
TheKasp said:
Yup, shows perfectly how people are capable of taking two quotes and saw them together to put words in the mouth of the woman which she never said.

If you don't understand me: SHE NEVER SAID THAT!
As you can see, this is a reply to Andy's post, which also has stuff SHE NEVER SAID (at least not in her infamous interview), so I assumed we were posting our interpretation to her written words, not a direct quote. Was that unreasonable? If so, why mine is the only unreasonable of the two?
Here is why yours is unreasonable, he is taking the cliff notes of what she said as opposed to you who made shit up, and don't try saying that you both used different words than what was originally used because that is also bullshit, there is a very big difference between using words that mean the same thing and making up something she never intended to, and never did, say.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
Marik Bentusi said:
TitanAura said:
What in the fuck is wrong with you, Internet?

The internet is like the bi-polar co-worker we're required to get along with because (s)he's the boss' kid and we don't want to get fired. You do one little thing wrong that in any way conflicts with their ever-changing mood and judgement day is brought down upon thee.
How does one even think about generalizing a medium that combines people across the globe? What the hell?
1. I'm glad you asked. It's called personification. There is a difference.
2. Lern 2 humor.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
IckleMissMayhem said:
Brad Shepard said:
as a Male, who could you be gay with?
Kaiden Alenko, provided you save him instead of Ashley in ME1 (I didn't). Isn't ShepMcDaddyPants & Kaiden a potential sex scene in ME1?
They are not, Where going to be, but it was cut i believe.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Agente L said:
Let's face it. Saying in a interview that she hates the gameplay of the video games (hates the video games overral actually) wasn't the smartest move a person in the industry could've made, even not being an actual developer.
That doesn't excuse people from acting like complete immature bullies. There is never an excuse for that. I don't care if her writing was bad or good. What is important is her devotion to her job, and considering she is still there and her boss is standing up for her, I would say she deserves recognition regardless of her what she enjoys outside of her work.
As far as I am concerned, those people who acted out against her are no better than racists and bigots.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Brad Shepard said:
I heard about her new book, how piss poor it is, plus she wrote some really bad parts of DA:O and I just have to say this, the fact that they are adding male homosexuality in the last installment of Shepard's story seems very off if you ask me.

did you even READ the article?

Jennifer is not even a part of the Mass Effect writing team.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Spot1990 said:
Unlikely they'll enjoy it but no one's going to pop up and say "Did you understand that? Give an in depth analysis of character development in the first act. You can't? Ok no more movie for you." They might not get it but there's no actual barrier to seeing the next scene. You might not understand it, but you don't have to pass any test to be allowed watch it. With a movie or book they're might be a section you don't get, just one section, well you can skip it. The same can't be said for videogames.
Well, the dude that wants to bypass some part only have to know enough programming, or DL a trainer and pay for it, or use a cheatcode, it's not as he can't access the rest of the game without passing one part.

I what you are saying is that is one case it's impossible and the other can happen, what i am saying is that one case is not impossible (you just need a lot of programming knowledge or to cheat, i know, impressively unlikely) and the other certainly can happen in theory, but in real life it's probably easier to win the lottery or be hit by an killer drone, so... we can dismiss it without affecting the study of the general phenomena; so, in general it is just false that videogames are the only form of storytelling that requires something to access it (even if there could be one or two cases out there in the world where that is not true).

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
tthor said:
Brad Shepard said:

did you even READ the article?

Jennifer is not even a part of the Mass Effect writing team.

Oh look, more comments to this, Joy, The homosexual comment was how they are shoehorning it in to ME3, I know Helper is not on the team, She is on maternity leave.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Spot1990 said:
I don't hold a grudge (even if i think those lazy ass biology students are wrong). And she was asked what was the less favourite part of her job, and she answered playing the games, so she doesn't like to play videogames... I don't think that makes her a better or a worse person, but I fail to see how I am reading too much between lines, she just doesn't like that and it's fine.

Again, my issue is that not liking to play videogames and being a head writer at a company that focuses on the writing on videogames are not the best mix, but it's not something to /wrist about either.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Spot1990 said:
The other part can happen in theory? Yeah that doesn't really fly unless you can actually come up with a single example.
Of books that can't be read without being deep in the subject? Not even hard, almost every PhD book in every sience and in math can't be read without a lot of knowledge on the subject, you might at most read the symbols, but don't have any idea of what they mean, or read the words without realizing they have a deep contextualized meaning that is not the same as their meaning in natural language.

For a historic example, almost all early cryptography works are religious ones coded so you can't access the content unless you were an initiate.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Warachia said:
So, i am wrong and are unacceptable and he is right because in your opinion saying that she would like videogames to have a gameplay skip button is better represented by:

"I prefer story to gameplay."

rather than by:

"I prefer that videogames have no gameplay"

Gotcha, that makes sense.