BioWare Teases The Old Republic Announcements for Comic Con

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
BioWare Teases The Old Republic Announcements for Comic Con

Could we finally learn when the game is coming out? We'll have to wait until Thursday to find out.

If you're a Star Wars fan and an MMO fan then you might want to pay particular attention to the San Diego Comic Con this week, and particularly on Thursday as BioWare says it has a few announcements to make about Star Wars: The Old Republic.

BioWare and LucasArts will hold a panel about the game on Thursday, July 21st at 3:30PM in room # 6BCF. Writing on the official Old Republic website, BioWare said that as well as the mysterious announcements, it had new gameplay footage to show and would be answering questions from the panel audience. There will also be the opportunity for attendees to play the game at the Star Wars pavilion.

As to what the announcements might be, the most likely is a release date - something that BioWare has kept very firmly under wraps for quite some time. It might also be the announcement of an open beta for the game. Heck, it could be both, as BioWare did say that it had more than one thing to announce.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/311872/news/bioware-to-make-star-wars-old-republic-announcements/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
About damn time. From what I hear its an interesting game. Just hope the end game, which they still haven't talked about and the journey are worth it.

As long as the animations and gameplay are fluid and fun, I'm sure the story and dialogue will be the true icing on this cake.

My Guess: August Beta & Nov release date

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
Oh god wonder if they say something like Winter of 2012 0.o

*shutters* But I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet, Lets wait and see.

*waits*

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
I hope its something of use, Bioware have been stringing the TOR fans along for quite some time now with out telling them a damn thing, even important questions for people trying to organize guilds like are the servers going to be regional restrictive are not being answered.

While I don't expect them to come out with the release date at least some information that helps people organize once the game is up and running would go a long way to settling the fans and really its not going to hurt if they answer some questions that really are not that important in terms of the development cycle.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Lt. Vinciti said:
December.

So we can rake up all the SWG customers!

Bwhahahhahaha
AWW YEAH!
You should see the forums there its mostly FFFFFFFFF THIS IS ALL BIOWARE'S AND TOR'S FAULT. Kind of funny actually that they can't see its because of the sad state galaxies is in.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
I'm going to set my expectations to LOW just like I did for the space combat (I'd thought they would push it out on an expansion). So I'd say their just going to show the opening crawls as part of the announcement.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"It might also be the announcement of an open beta for the game."

Pretty sure they've said their won't be one at all for definite.

PrinceofPersia said:
I'm going to set my expectations to LOW just like I did for the space combat (I'd thought they would push it out on an expansion). So I'd say their just going to show the opening crawls as part of the announcement.
They could still do more with it in an expansion if loads of people call for it - its just not the main focus when launching the game.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I hope it's beta. The longer this drags on the less interested I am in the game... I want to get the chance to try it out before I forget about it.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
animehermit said:
Woodsey said:
"It might also be the announcement of an open beta for the game."

Pretty sure they've said their won't be one at all for definite.
I don't think they'll be an open beta, just a large scale closed one with the NDA dropping. Which is perfectly acceptable.

Woodsey said:
PrinceofPersia said:
They could still do more with it in an expansion if loads of people call for it - its just not the main focus when launching the game.
It's also not the main focus of the game period. They might not include any additional content for Space at all, simply because the space game would get too far away from what they are trying to accomplish with the game. It's current implementation is a design choice, they could have done something like Battlefront II's style, but it would have distracted too much from the main game. Ultimately you don't want to do that with something that is effectively a mini-game.
Both very true.

ldwater

Jun 15, 2009
I doubt it'll be the full release date simply because the devs on the forums have been saying that they'll make a HUGE deal about it and to 'slip it in' at an event like that after saying how big and obvious they will make the release date annoucement won't go down well with the fans / forum masses.

My guess is something like an extended beta or a larger scale beta or some sort of pre-order bonus annoucement.

(Personally I see the release date being around November / early December time; more than enough time for SWG people to jump ship before it closes and early enough for it to be on the kiddy christmas list.)

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
It's not going to be a release date announcement, we should hope for no such thing.

Possible announcements include: (disclaimer: please don't take seriously)

SWTOR will be B2P, with a cash shop+DLC+an hourly gratuity charge+blood sacrifice

SWTOR will not have a lifetime subscription, but definitely a lifetime commitment (seriously if you cancel, ever, their coming for you)

SWTOR will be a Star Wars game

SWTOR will be coming out...that's it, it will be coming out, that's all you get for a release date.

:p

If they do announce something amounting to a failry concrete release date, I will eat a sock...as long as that sock is made out of candy, meat or some other edible substance.

I'm looking forward to SWTOR, so I would not mind a release date announcement of any sorts at all.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Xersues said:
Just hope the end game, which they still haven't talked about and the journey are worth it.
You're not alone. To be fair, they have announced their version of raids already. I'm hoping there's more than just the one though.