Bioware to Share its Plans for the Future of Mass Effect: Andromeda Next Week

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
"You need to buy it in order to judge the graphics."

Awesome. The animations are so bad that they're good again, dragging the potential story down. For me. But, and I'm not trying to be snarky here, I'd buy it just to laugh at it, not taking it serious at all. The humanoid-face animations look fucking awful, I'm sorry. They break immersion like a clown standing next to the monitor, honking his nose constantly.

I'd buy it if my PC was more powerful, honestly. Besides, the facial animations of the non-humanoid aliens look pretty decent.

If it was about controls or game mechanics, I'd support the argument of "Play the game before you judge it." But this is neither an artistic choice nor good-looking. It's harmful to an RPG. And I really don't need to play it myself to see that. But maybe I'm too much of a story guy.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
ecoho said:
Artorius said:
Ohh god Plenty of praise? really?

Honestly i don't know why people are defending this pile of garbage.

When something that deserves all the criticism and backlash comes along. we should dish it out... MAKE IT BETTER not defend it just because they worked "HARD" for it. Dude its their DAMN job they are GETTING PAID to do it. its the only way to make the product improve. As Yahtzee once said "Criticism is a force for good, nothing ever improves without coming in terms with its flaws".
I mean i won't stop criticising it just because it hurts their Feefees.

At least in my eyes it has back stabbed ME lore into oblivion..

-Slap fighting Krogans
-Preffered Pronoun Asari
-Retarded salarians
- And many many more..

Just because, they wanted to fill their diversity QUOTA.
ok a few things;
1.did you play the game at all or just watch it on youtube?

2.if your response to number 1 was I just watched it on youtube kindly STFU.

3. if you have played the game (which I very much doubt) please remember this is NOT done by the bioware we know as this was made by the studio who made ME3's MP and is their first official game. that's not to excuse their lake of polish on the game they should be ashamed of how bad the visuals look but honestly while playing its not really an issue.

honestly this is looking like people still pissed about ME3 complaining about stuff cause apparently the ending in ME3 killed their dog, family, and was racist to them.(btw that's sarcasm)
It's failed sarcasm because Bioware actually hired a 'violent and proud of it' racist to make this game. That aside, game could have been made by bunch of SP butt gerbills and it would be all great... if the outcome was a good product. Problem is, it's not.
After blunder with day 1 dlc (cut out core companion and content) and RGB button ending next iteration ended up being a broken, half-assed (horde mode only) bro-shooter. With the 'best innovative omg improvement' being ...jetpack. Cringe worthy and underdeveloped characters as companions and predictable rework of original mass effect story, just worse quality.

And I'd say lack of quality and some 'current year' pandering (whatever flies atm in social media and have a set and ready to go horde of 'defenders') is a biggest problem with this game. But in general it's a sin of a lot of new releases. Developers make a huge smelly dump, push in few ground breaking 'agendas' or gimmickiy 'mechanics' and leave it to marketing team to wind up social media war over the product and its precious topping that needs to be defended to death from these nasty 'gamers'.

F#(@k even Civ 6 did that with the bloody districts. As if every single player suddenly should stop caring that game is pretty much unplayable and UI re-design was a horrid mistake.

Why can't you people see that you are being played by marketing teams of corporations that started to push out bad quality games - faster - for higher ammounts of money (paid dlcs, microtransactions, content splitting pre-order schemes etc.). Instead you will defend to death shit product because there is a sticker 'LGTBQ approved' on it or 'innovative gameplay' or 'we save puppies don't mind the smell'.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Let me guess those plans for the multiplayer aspect. Adding a ton of guns to better ensure that anyone trying to get at certain equipment and the like most likely won't see it, buffs to the enemies, nerfs to the players (Particularly the tech classes), and basically ensuring that the only bugs and patches that get fixed are the ones that let people actually farm credits so that they're almost forced to pay more money just to get the stuff they want.

Why yes, I AM still bitter over how things went with ME3's multiplayer. Why do you ask?

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I hope MP takes top billing in those plans.

Because at the end of the day, it boils down to 'Has some dodgy animations.' vs 'Hard crashes 1 in 3 matches.'. Animations don't stop the product from functioning, constant hard crashes do.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Kreett said:
Dragonbums said:
RaikuFA said:
Darth Rosenberg said:
When a patch does away with some of the apparent wackiness in animations and cutscenes, that's when I'll buy it. I really want to give you my money, BioWare, but evidently you don't deserve it yet...

Issues with facial animation probably can't be 'fixed' or improved by much - nor can some of the less than compelling sounding voice actors performances. But what I've seen of it (bugs aside) hasn't looked anywhere near as bad as the some have claimed/boasted/memed-to-inane-death.

/edit

Johnny Novgorod said:
That's great news! I feel like smiling.

Is that supposed to look 'bad'?
Yes. They're the worst thing ever because when you buy a game you have to have the best graphics with the most realistic animations cause if you don't, you're not a real gamer.
It's bad in context of what she was doing and why. You just got out of cryo sleep and she has this weird long smile on her that nobody mildly sore puts on.
Nobody upset at the animations are demanding the most realistic shit ever. There is no reason for half the actors in their respective scene have dead she syndrome, rubber bad lips, and model glitching. Especially when a vast majority of players will be spending their time playing with the dialogue and talking to the characters. Animation should of been the second highest priority in a game like Mass Effect.
Actually that's just after your dance with death and waking up with what has to be a skull splitting headache considering what just happened to her brain
That would be fine if she only did it once, but her face resets to normal then the animation loops again. It's really weird.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Elijin said:
I hope MP takes top billing in those plans.

Because at the end of the day, it boils down to 'Has some dodgy animations.' vs 'Hard crashes 1 in 3 matches.'. Animations don't stop the product from functioning, constant hard crashes do.
Most important patch for me would be mute in multiplayer actually working consistently. As it is, I'm just not playing it because I'm fed up of "*CRUNCHCRUNCHCRUNCH* FWOOOOOOOO BVUMUIBUMUBUMBUMBUMB WOOOO *CRUNCH*"

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
Chairman Miaow said:
Kreett said:
Dragonbums said:
RaikuFA said:
Darth Rosenberg said:
When a patch does away with some of the apparent wackiness in animations and cutscenes, that's when I'll buy it. I really want to give you my money, BioWare, but evidently you don't deserve it yet...

Issues with facial animation probably can't be 'fixed' or improved by much - nor can some of the less than compelling sounding voice actors performances. But what I've seen of it (bugs aside) hasn't looked anywhere near as bad as the some have claimed/boasted/memed-to-inane-death.

/edit

Johnny Novgorod said:
That's great news! I feel like smiling.

Is that supposed to look 'bad'?
Yes. They're the worst thing ever because when you buy a game you have to have the best graphics with the most realistic animations cause if you don't, you're not a real gamer.
It's bad in context of what she was doing and why. You just got out of cryo sleep and she has this weird long smile on her that nobody mildly sore puts on.
Nobody upset at the animations are demanding the most realistic shit ever. There is no reason for half the actors in their respective scene have dead she syndrome, rubber bad lips, and model glitching. Especially when a vast majority of players will be spending their time playing with the dialogue and talking to the characters. Animation should of been the second highest priority in a game like Mass Effect.
Actually that's just after your dance with death and waking up with what has to be a skull splitting headache considering what just happened to her brain
That would be fine if she only did it once, but her face resets to normal then the animation loops again. It's really weird.
My assumption is it's supposed to be like that pulsating shit you get with a real pounding headache and she grimaces again because she got another wave of the brain pain, but I'll be honest and say that might also be a mistake

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Imre Csete said:
Wintermute said:
Hologram kid to the rescue.
Denial is canon. They are still in the Milky Way.

The whole SAM thing is a Vanilla Sky-esque training program for the cryo'd people until they wake up and lead the next cycle Javik 2.0 style.

BioWare is brilliant! Haters just gonna hate because it's the latest bandwagon.

I'd actually be interested in something like that, to be honest. Retcon a few things here in there, fuck it, it's space magic. You're dreaming you're this Pathfinder guy, travelling to another galaxy, boom, something goes horribly wrong, you die. Wait, you didn't die, you're alive, where are you? You don't know, there's a lot of smoke and it's hard to see. One thing is obvious once the smoke starts to clear, everything went to hell, but it still looks oddly familiar. You're sitting on the ground, trying to remember what happened, when suddenly you hear someone walking towards you. You raise your head to look at them, and you see a large creature.

"Shepard."
"Wrex."
"Shepard."
"Wrex."
"Shepard."
"Wrex."
"Shepard."
"Wrex... (dramatic pause)... let's find our friends."

And then you go find what happened to your crew. Game of the Year.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Artorius said:
Ohh god Plenty of praise? really?

Honestly i don't know why people are defending this pile of garbage.

When something that deserves all the criticism and backlash comes along. we should dish it out... MAKE IT BETTER not defend it just because they worked "HARD" for it. Dude its their DAMN job they are GETTING PAID to do it. its the only way to make the product improve. As Yahtzee once said "Criticism is a force for good, nothing ever improves without coming in terms with its flaws".
I mean i won't stop criticising it just because it hurts their Feefees.

At least in my eyes it has back stabbed ME lore into oblivion..

-Slap fighting Krogans
-Preffered Pronoun Asari
-Retarded salarians
- And many many more..

Just because, they wanted to fill their diversity QUOTA.

I agree with your overall post but I'm going to have to ask how some Salarians being dumb and a monogendered race having different pronouns than humans do lore breaking.

Salarians aren't genetically smart. They are just hyper to hell and shorter lifespans means greater incentives to do ground breaking stuff. However like normal life forms some are more than happy being regular people like shopkeepers.
It would be saying the Prison Warden in ME2 broke lore because he was a traiterous bad guy and Turians are supposed to be honorable.

The Crux of the issue isnt 'diversity quotas' anymore than games like COD or Assassin's are shit for having CEO gamer list quotas.

I'm more than happy to rip this game a new one because I care a lot about the series. But let's actually be fair about it and not shit up feedback by blaming it on crap that had nothing to do with it being bad.

Having a queer romance didnt make the game shit.

It was EA doing what it does best:

- Laughably short development time
- Giving it to a highly inexperienced studio with Bioware slapped on it
- Forcing devs to insert modes and gameplay that are tertiary to what fans of the franchise cares about. ( Open world, Multiplayer, etc.)

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Bit of an excess of sodium chloride in here.

But, eh. To be expected.

I do look forward to this DLC being the same price 5 years from now though, as is Mass Effect tradition.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Dragonbums said:
Not gonna cover everything here, but here's my thoughts on the Asari matter.

1) Almost everyone in Mass Effect uses universal translators. You have no freaking clue what word, gendered or otherwise, an Asari from previous games would use to refer to themselves, because whatever word they used was simply translated into English. And perhaps, given the obvious physical likeness to women, the translator was simply coded to use female pronouns.

2) Following the "universal translator" angle, Asari referring to other Asari as "mother" makes perfect biological sense from a human standpoint. When Asari mate with other aliens, they're taking in biological information from them. You know, kind of like sperm. The other alien acts as the "donor" of biological information, just like how a human male acts as the "donor" of biological information in human sexual relationships. The Asari are the receptacle of the information, akin to a human woman, and thus "mother."

(And whoever was giving this information, is referred to as "father" regardless of who they are. There's a brief dialog somewhere where Sheppard is called "anthropocentric bag of dicks" for saying he would call both Asari parents "mothers")

3) If you're curious about why, then, all Asari would refer to each other as "daughter" and "sister" (I don't even remember if they actually do that or not), I refer you back to the fact that there is a universal translator that converts everything into English. Given the obvious physical characteristics it would make a great deal of sense for the English translations of whatever words the Asari used to be translated into the relevant English variations for females.

4) There's a FUCKING UNIVERSAL TRANSLATOR SO ALL OF THIS SHIT SHOULDN'T EVEN BE A PROBLEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. No Asari should ever be in the POSITION of being insulted by an improper gendered pronoun since the universal translator should translate it into whatever ungendered pronoun there is in the Asari language that they would use to refer to one another.

I feel the need to reiterate that the game contains a discussion on gendered nouns and pronouns that are only relevant to the English language in a game series with a perfectly operational, instant, universal translator.

Heck, even among human languages English isn't representative, some languages don't have any gendering on words and some have it on every word.

Let's take Japanese as an example: it has multiple forms of 'I/me' dependant on gender, age and formality of conversation, multiple forms of 'you' depending on relationship to the subject, and multiple forms of third-person that are less context-sensitive than English, plus entirely different verb endings dependant on formality. That's one language, and Earth has hundreds. One would expect that all the other species in the galaxy would have a similar large number of languages.

It also doesn't help matters that the scene in question is REALLY freaking cringe inducing.

asari: Yes, the gender binary of other races is irrelevant to us.

angara: I?ve been using feminine pronouns this entire time. Should I-

asari: In my case it?s fine to continue. Thank you for asking, I appreciate it. Some asari prefer male pronouns, while others gravitate toward gender-neutral where language allows.

angara: My people have several pronouns to identify themselves with. Perhaps I should prepare a document.

asari: Please do.

Yes, the gender binary of other races is irrelevant to us.

Rest of the conversation contradicts the first sentence

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Metalix Knightmare said:
asari: Yes, the gender binary of other races is irrelevant to us.

angara: I?ve been using feminine pronouns this entire time. Should I-

asari: In my case it?s fine to continue. Thank you for asking, I appreciate it. Some asari prefer male pronouns, while others gravitate toward gender-neutral where language allows.

angara: My people have several pronouns to identify themselves with. Perhaps I should prepare a document.

asari: Please do.

Yes, the gender binary of other races is irrelevant to us.

Rest of the conversation contradicts the first sentence
I mean, given their reproduction methods, gender binary of other races can validly be called irrelevant, while still being something to be considered in polite conversation and scientific interest about alien cultures.

Eg: It doesn't matter what gender you are, we can still make a baby, but I'm obviously interested in remaining polite and learning new things about your culture.

I think everyone is so caught up on it being SJW-y that they ignore that a race which can mate with anything probably accurately finds your gender irrelevant, but can acknowledge and respect the concept of genders within alien society/culture/identity.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
ecoho said:
ok so you haven't played the game and are a self entitled fool good to know, now I get to ignore you and go on playing an extremely fun game.
Calls people entitled fools.
Makes baseless assumptions and quits to play broken game, calling it... 'extremely fun'

You go on and do that mate.