BioWare Unveils Dragon Age 2 - UPDATED

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
10thDegree said:
Am I the only one that doesn't really like Bioware?I just dislike them for forever changing what people consider RPGs are.

Think Final Fantasy 1, or 10, it doesn't matter. You have no story options. You can only go from point A to point B.And has anyone EVER questioned if it was an RPG?

I mean, KOTOR was fine, still focused on stats and whatnot, but leveling up isn't that big of a deal in Mass Effect. It focuses more on the story, like an adventure game, and less on the leveling and stats.

They still are good games, I must admit, but it is kinda like my feelings with Activision/Blizzard, just a thousand times less intense...
I don't quite get what your saying...are you saying you don't like BioWare because they don't make their games more like Square? Well, your ofcrouse entitled to your opinion, and lucky for you Square releases nothing but the types of RPGs you seem to prefer.

OT: There was never any question a second Dragon Age would be released, just as there is no question as to whether or not I would buy it. Pre-ordered. BioWare hasn't let me down yet, and I honestly can't see them letting me down with this.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I'm surprised they're not doing the import your characters again. Although with the multiple endings possibly it would have been a ***** to put together.
The combat was the worst part so new mechanics are definately welcomed.

Since it's a different character, place and time isn't more of a spin-off then a sequel?

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Is this actually Dragon Age 2 if it's a completely different story and characters?

Couldn't it just be some other RPG in a high fantasy setting?

I mean I'm going to buy the damn game, I love their work,but I'm disappointed they're leaving the story hanging from the first.

Is this just Dragon Age reloaded: play the same story, in the same universe with similar characters but a nicer graphics engine?

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Vanaron said:
What loose thread?
Morrigan's demon-child abomination, of course. Which not everyone will consider "canon" (one of the many failings of the "choose your own adventure" bullshit that modern RPGs insist on using) but certainly significant enough to warrant a follow-up.
They still could pick up that thread. They went far away from Fereldan and over to where you happen to be in the next game. (Though with a different character)

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
Sounds good. The original is fantastic, and (unless they try to dumb it down à la Mass Effect 2) the sequel should be awesome.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Actual said:
Is this actually Dragon Age 2 if it's a completely different story and characters?

Couldn't it just be some other RPG in a high fantasy setting?

I mean I'm going to buy the damn game, I love their work,but I'm disappointed they're leaving the story hanging from the first.

Is this just Dragon Age reloaded: play the same story, in the same universe with similar characters but a nicer graphics engine?
Again... you can tie something together without the same main character. Lord knows there were plenty of side characters in the first one.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
I'm happy for this. I just hope they might increase the complexity of the level system a tiny bit.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Lemon Of Life said:
Sounds good. The original is fantastic, and (unless they try to dumb it down à la Mass Effect 2) the sequel should be awesome.
I still liked Mass Effect 2 but I hear you.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Anyone else feel that Andy Chalk isn't a Bioware fan? Given the wording of the news article and the comments he added about in reply posts?

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
10thDegree said:
Am I the only one that doesn't really like Bioware?I just dislike them for forever changing what people consider RPGs are.

Think Final Fantasy 1, or 10, it doesn't matter. You have no story options. You can only go from point A to point B.And has anyone EVER questioned if it was an RPG?

I mean, KOTOR was fine, still focused on stats and whatnot, but leveling up isn't that big of a deal in Mass Effect. It focuses more on the story, like an adventure game, and less on the leveling and stats.

They still are good games, I must admit, but it is kinda like my feelings with Activision/Blizzard, just a thousand times less intense...
Are you trolling?
Mass Effect isn't an RPG. It's a first person shooter with RPG-elements. In other words, it's an FPS first, RPG second.

Look at Dragon Age, as Biowares most recent rpg, and tell me it's not focussed on stats and that levelling up isn't that big of deal. If you did, you'd be a complete idiot.

OT: Awesome.
Much, much, much quicker than anticipated. I'll take it.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Slaanax said:
Andy Chalk said:
Vanaron said:
What loose thread?
Morrigan's demon-child abomination, of course. Which not everyone will consider "canon" (one of the many failings of the "choose your own adventure" bullshit that modern RPGs insist on using) but certainly significant enough to warrant a follow-up.
What if said Refugee is her child that's a possibility
What if the child becomes either an ally or an enemy? Given that it says you're a refugee of the blight, the player character is likely at the very least in their teens, if not an adult. Also given that this game is said to take place over a decade, it would provide time for the child to mature into an early teen, leading me more and more to believing that if Morrigan's god baby is indeed in the game, it will be as an ally.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Fuck. Yes. This is going to be absolutely brilliant, i can tell. If they can make the length time good enough and improve on everything then this is going to RULE! And to anyone who says this is too soon, let me explain.

The actual game was finished around the end of 2008 but EA wanted console versions and so waited to release the game till the end of 2009. During that time i doubt the whole team was working on the console version and ofcourse DLC and the expansions too whilst people in the background worked on the second game.

This would mean they have probably been developing the game since early 2009, 2 years is enough to create a whole new game right?

JuryNelson

Mar 3, 2010
lacktheknack said:
JuryNelson said:
I hope there's a "Deluxe Edition" for mac that includes the launch DLC but with no option for any future DLC!
A: Why no more DLC?

B: I would bet a ton of money that they won't, because the Mac isn't really a gaming platform. I'm fairly sure that the original Dragon Age wasn't on Mac, and if not, there's no way the second one will be.
A: The Mac version doesn't get DLC. They didn't make a version of any of them that you can download for the Mac version.

B: I have Dragon Age: Orgins on my Mac, so I can tell you with confidence that it was on Mac. And if they don't port the new one, then I guess I just won't be able to give them any of my sweet, delicious money.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
s0denone said:
Are you trolling?
Mass Effect isn't an RPG. It's a first person shooter with RPG-elements. In other words, it's an FPS first, RPG second.
*Third person shooter. And the genre is Action RPG.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
10thDegree said:
Well, I think I would be pretty stupid if I didn't know about Tabletop games.
I try not to rule that sort of thing out.

But I think video games have made a new type of media, and even though there were RPGs before Final Fantasy, such as DnD, the video game RPGs are an entirely different genre, defined by different things.
"Hey, Bioware! How dare you change the meaning of 'RPG' after we already changed it ourselves! We stole that fair and square!"

Never mind, of course, that Western developers were doing their own thing since Rouge in 1980.

You cannot question that Final Fantasy is a video game RPG.
You just can't.
Watch me: Final Fantasy is not an RPG.

JuryNelson

Mar 3, 2010
s0denone said:
10thDegree said:

Are you trolling?

Look at Dragon Age, as Biowares most recent rpg, and tell me it's not focussed on stats and that levelling up isn't that big of deal. If you did, you'd be a complete idiot.

OT: Awesome.
Much, much, much quicker than anticipated. I'll take it.
Someone's gonna flame you for calling Mass Effect First Person, so it might as well be me.

But Seriously, Folks?
Dude, if you're gonna blame somebody for "forever changing what people consider RPGs are [sic]" Blame Japan.

Western RPGs like Oblivion and Dragon Age evolved from tabletops, where you built a Role and Played it. Role Playing. Get it?

Japanese RPGs like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest evolved from those same tabletops, but as adapted by non-native English speakers who saw only math.

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
Zero=Interrupt said:
Soooo their new game world is based on M.Night Shyamalan's Avatar movie and not LoTR this time? Oh Bioware, you scamp.....
Since I see this kind of stuff constantly (read: Why the lack of originality?! posts), I'd like to present this quote to you:
(snipped)
True in so many ways.[/quote]

To speak directly to your quote: what was stolen wasn't stolen well, used well, and what they did write wasn't written well. You can quote things all day if you want, but compared to its competition, DA:O was poorly written, poorly art-directed, buggy, and quite frankly felt like something that was rushed. It was authentic, in that it was authentically over-hyped and, at best, a mediocre game.

And since you like quotes:

""Yes, yes, I can see that, but how did you know in the first place?"
"Oh, I use my own special technique."
"Oh, really, Doctor? And may we know what that is?"
"Keeping my eyes open and my mouth shut."
Klieg and The Doctor, in "Tomb of the Cybermen"