BioWare Unveils Mass Effect Trilogy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
To clarify, EA has said nothing about whether the DLC will be included or what DRM will be used. "All of it" and "Origin" are probably good bets, but it's all supposition at this point.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Andy Chalk said:
To clarify, EA has said nothing about whether the DLC will be included or what DRM will be used. "All of it" and "Origin" are probably good bets, but it's all supposition at this point.
If I had to guess they will likely include the DLCs for ME1, ME2 and the free DLC for ME3. Javik may also be thrown in there, but since they're still cranking out single player content for ME3 I kind of doubt they'll include any others.

DVS Storm

Jul 13, 2009
I would buy it if I didn't already have all the games and the DLC's(minus some of the weapon packs for ME2). Someone already mentioned something about Origin being mandatory and I will second that. It's EA we are talking about.

Kiyeri

Mar 8, 2010
I'm one of those people who never bought the Mass Effect series since I could never get the first game on my main system, so this is great news for me! I just hope that the DLC will be included too!

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Well, I gotta say that 59.99 is a great deal for the 3 greatest games of all time is a steal! Too bad I already own em! I could get this for PS3, assuming all dlc is on it, otherwise I won't get it.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
"worldwide celebration of the Mass Effect franchise"? well I guess that's one way to get more sales, esp after all the fallout as of late

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
I will deny that it is a good deal. Currently you can buy a new copy of each game seperately (on the xbox) for 30, 20, and 20. Yep, part 3 is down to $20 already. That's $70 for the whole series. So how is a whole $10 savings to get it in a single package a really great deal?

Now if it included all the DLC, which I see no evidence of, I might consider it a deal. But just because you once payed full price for all 3 titles does not mean that they are worth that anymore.

To me, its not much different than the Battlechest packages Blizzard used to do. Those games had retained more of their popularity at the point they were selling them and they retailed for less than a full priced game even with some extra goodies.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011

Thank the Reapers!

All three games on PS3! That's awesome!

I'll finally be able to finish ME1 and get to play ME3 for the first time. Better gather up some money fairly quickly.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
I've missed the entire Mass Effect series. If this has the updated ending BioWare made to sooth the raging fans then it should make for a fun game marathon.

I'll get to it when I finish playing KOTOR II, which I just got in the KOTOR I+II combo pack.

Don't think I'll be hurting for games to play any time soon.

Scars Unseen said:
Well this is a bit of a waste. PS3 folk aside, I can't imagine there are too many people that wanted all three games that don't have them already. Now if they had taken the time and money to port the first two games to ME3's engine and ironed out some of the more egregious mechanical problems (like the option to nix that stupid single context sensitive button assignment), I'd be all over it. But this seems like nothing more than a cheap money grab (again, aside from the PS3 folk).
Apparently there are a lot of us who never bought any of the games. Since the only thing that I really ever paid attention to was the uproar over ME 3's ending the series won't be spoiled for me.

This should work out pretty well for those of us who never got around to buying the games before for one reason or another.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Eh, already have em all + DLC on xbox, so probably gonna pass. That being said, if this DOES include all of the DLC (the weapon/costume packs from ME2 would be nice, but no fucks) I could see picking this up for PC.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Andy Chalk said:
It's kind of like reverse psychology - you just have to assume the opposite of whatever EA/Bioware says, then you'll be close to the truth. This release smells of desperation.

I admit, I wasn't expecting ME3 to be on sale this cheap within such a short timespan. I chalked up the bargain-bin prices at Amazon and brick-and-mortar stores (down to $20 in most places) as a fluke, then I realized it was probably due to the lagging sales figures and negative reception. Pumping out a trilogy pack six months after the release of the last game?

Something tells me they won't even bother to include the DLC on this release - there's a ton of major content that has to be augmented or included in the discs themselves. ME2, for instance, had a ton of material cut just to make enough room on the disc for the base game. Unless they're somehow shoving Lair of the Shadow Broker, Kasumi, Overlord and Arrival on the disc, it's probably just old stock they're clearing out. Maybe they'll include a voucher for the DLC, but I doubt it.

I also saw a photo in another topic showing what appears to be an HD screenshot from the original game, sans the film grain that was present in the original release. I guess EA's trying to make this re-release more worthwhile for the CoD crowd, but that grain was a deliberate choice in the game as evidenced by the making-of materials for it. Not sure if I agree with removing a game's style just to fit in with the latter entries.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
crazyrabbits said:
I admit, I wasn't expecting ME3 to be on sale this cheap within such a short timespan. I chalked up the bargain-bin prices at Amazon and brick-and-mortar stores (down to $20 in most places) as a fluke, then I realized it was probably due to the lagging sales figures and negative reception. Pumping out a trilogy pack six months after the release of the last game?
Maybe they're trying to keep the fans' attention on the series while they work on future DLC. If they let the series get too cold people would dismiss it as completely passe, while if they keep the series on gamers' radar they might be able to build up anticipation for future releases.

And frankly what else are they going to do to make money with three games--two of which are years old--that they already have sitting on their shelves gathering dust?

It's a smart, and predictable, move to squeeze out more money for older games. I never bought any of them but I'm going to get this collection as soon as I've heard that it's bug free.

ARCTIC_EAGLE

Dec 31, 2011
I still get pissed about ME3's ending when I hear news about Bioware and honestly I'd rather spend $60 on Crap of Duty: Modern Fail 500 billion then give any more of my money to the EA infested dev known as Bioware (speaking as someone who owns ME1 and DLC, ME2 (collectors) and DLC, ME3 (collectors).)

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Pretty sweet deal even if it does nothing for me. Great chance for PS3 owners to finally get in on the ground level.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Copper Zen said:
Maybe they're trying to keep the fans' attention on the series while they work on future DLC. If they let the series get too cold people would dismiss it as completely passe, while if they keep the series on gamers' radar they might be able to build up anticipation for future releases.

And frankly what else are they going to do to make money with three games--two of which are years old--that they already have sitting on their shelves gathering dust?

It's a smart, and predictable, move to squeeze out more money for older games. I never bought any of them but I'm going to get this collection as soon as I've heard that it's bug free.
I agree. Considering how hard they're trying to ride the franchise, I assume that BW/EA is trying to drum up interest for future installments. I just don't think anyone will let them off the hook for how badly they botched 3 (and all the fallout it entailed).

There's nothing wrong with re-releasing old games, but unless it's bringing something new to the table (HD re-releases, putting four or more games in one pack), it's probably just clearing out old stock a la the Final Fantasy Anniversary Collection set.

Judging from the box and disc art, it looks like the same 2-disc ME2 release and 1-disc ME3 release. Even Dragon Age: Origins' Ultimate Edition had an entire extra disc with all the DLC for that single game (that said, even that release didn't have all the promotional and exclusive items). Like I mentioned earlier, unless it's a voucher, I'm going to assume there's no included DLC in this release.

If it's true they're reusing the same disc, all the bugs are probably still going to be present as well.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Saw this coming (a box set), though I'm very surprised to hear that they're selling the whole deal for the price of a single game. Gotta say, that's pretty nifty. As big a fan of the series that I am, though, I don't intend to pick this up seeing as how I've already got all three games. :p

Something that did catch my eye, however, is this:

Andy Chalk said:
N7 Day is coming! What's N7 Day, you ask? November 7, for one thing, but also a "worldwide celebration of the Mass Effect franchise," which will feature a variety of in-game, online and even live events. Don't feel too bad if you've never heard of it, because this year's event is the first.
Any information on what these "in game events" are? Are we talking everyone gets some free equipment packs for the multiplayer or is there going to be a special mission or something wedged into the campaign for a week or something?