BioWare Uses Stock Photo for Tali in Mass Effect 3

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Higgs303 said:
Hmm...Mass Effect & Dragon Age: Origins were quality products, genuine works of art in the gaming medium.
I'm genuinely wondering if you played the same Dragon Age: Origins that I did! Fun game? Yes. Above-average writing for a video game? Definitely. Work of art? No.

Maybe the quality of Bioware games isn't going down, but your expectations were just hugely raised by how much you clearly enjoyed DAO and Mass Effect? If you scrutinise every detail of a game, you're always going to find things you don't like. Maybe just sit back and try to enjoy the experience the way you enjoyed it in the first Mass Effect game.

FenixZero

Mar 8, 2012
Abedeus said:
We'll see how both of you feel about Bioware after you finish the game.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
Considering the short amount of time the game is out, are you speaking from personal experience? Because there is a very narrow range of possible endings given the previous games.

FenixZero

Mar 8, 2012
MetalMagpie said:
Higgs303 said:
Hmm...Mass Effect & Dragon Age: Origins were quality products, genuine works of art in the gaming medium.
I'm genuinely wondering if you played the same Dragon Age: Origins that I did! Fun game? Yes. Above-average writing for a video game? Definitely. Work of art? No.

Maybe the quality of Bioware games isn't going down, but your expectations were just hugely raised by how much you clearly enjoyed DAO and Mass Effect? If you scrutinise every detail of a game, you're always going to find things you don't like. Maybe just sit back and try to enjoy the experience the way you enjoyed it in the first Mass Effect game.
I agree with this, but I extend that to Mass Effect 1 as well. Mass Effect 2 has a better all around except in the storyline department. If really look at ME1, and mean REALLY look, you will that a lot is not as well put together as people think that it is.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
FenixZero said:
Abedeus said:

Enjoy it while it lasts.
Considering the short amount of time the game is out, are you speaking from personal experience? Because there is a very narrow range of possible endings given the previous games.
I unlocked the game on Monday, and since I had few days available to play, I already finished it, so have thousands of disgruntled people.

Basically, it makes me never want to play ME3 again to the end, maybe till the last mission, in few weeks/months.

MetalMagpie said:
maninahat said:
The problem is that fans have blown up the characters to sacred proportions, so any perceived disservice to them demands disproportionate complaints.
Exactly. These are fictional characters. They cannot have their feelings hurt. They do not need your protection.
It's an RPG, you are supposed to feel something for the characters, get involved. Especially if you played the previous two games for dozens of hours each. I liked all of them, and the treatment not only Tali but all Quarians got was similar to Halo's Master Chief being unveiled as Arnold Schwarzenegger, but with glowing eyes/no nose.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
MetalMagpie said:
Higgs303 said:

They were works of art to the extent that by definition a creative work is a work of art. Whether they were good art or not is another question entirely haha.

FenixZero

Mar 8, 2012
Abedeus said:
FenixZero said:
Abedeus said:

Enjoy it while it lasts.
I unlocked the game on Monday, and since I had few days available to play, I already finished it, so have thousands of disgruntled people.

Basically, it makes me never want to play ME3 again to the end, maybe till the last mission, in few weeks/months.
Aren't there multiple endings? And you saying that the end wasn't good makes me want to play the game more.

How I saw it the two extremes were: You win against the Reapers and everyone survives/lives on/works together, or you win against the Reapers but a lot of people (races) were wiped out in the fight. And that Shepard (or his Love Interest) will not make it out of the experience alive.

I would only be mad if it not something within those extremes. Because those are the logical extremes as set by the two previous games.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
MetalMagpie said:
Higgs303 said:

They were works of art to the extent that by definition a creative work is a work of art. Whether they were good art or not is another question entirely haha.
A very good point, sir. I tip my hat to you.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
FenixZero said:
Abedeus said:
FenixZero said:
Abedeus said:

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Aren't there multiple endings? And you saying that the end wasn't good makes me want to play the game more.

How I saw it the two extremes were: You win against the Reapers and everyone survives/lives on/works together, or you win against the Reapers but a lot of people (races) were wiped out in the fight. And that Shepard (or his Love Interest) will not make it out of the experience alive.

I would only be mad if it not something within those extremes. Because those are the logical extremes as set by the two previous games.
There are 3 endings, but Bioware claims there to be 16... problem is, there are basically 8 levels of War Assets that change the ending (the higher, the more positive - if you don't have enough, for instance, BAD things happen), then multiply that by Paragon/Renegade.

But all endings are half-assed, your choices in the game don't matter, and all endings basically cancel half of the shit Shepard worked for.

Don't want to spoil a lot, but you will be disappointed.

Edit: Oh, sorry, you seem to misunderstand me. The endings weren't "good", as in, good good, happy and flowers.

The endings were horribly done and half-assed pieces of shit. Basically Matrix Revolutions/Deus Ex 3 kinds of endings that leave you with "WAIT WHAT THEN WHAT YOU FUCKER?!", but you will never find the answers.

FenixZero

Mar 8, 2012
Abedeus said:
FenixZero said:
Abedeus said:
FenixZero said:
Abedeus said:

Enjoy it while it lasts.

There are 3 endings, but Bioware claims there to be 16... problem is, there are basically 8 levels of War Assets that change the ending (the higher, the more positive - if you don't have enough, for instance, BAD things happen), then multiply that by Paragon/Renegade.

But all endings are half-assed, your choices in the game don't matter, and all endings basically cancel half of the shit Shepard worked for.

Edit: Oh, sorry, you seem to misunderstand me. The endings weren't "good", as in, good good, happy and flowers.

The endings were horribly done and half-assed pieces of shit. Basically Matrix Revolutions/Deus Ex 3 kinds of endings that leave you with "WAIT WHAT THEN WHAT YOU FUCKER?!", but you will never find the answers.
Ah.

Is it easy to opt-out of the War Assets/Galactic Readiness thing?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
FenixZero said:
Abedeus said:
FenixZero said:
Abedeus said:
FenixZero said:
Abedeus said:

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Ah.

Well, if you want to see Shapard survive (not knowing beforehand whether Renegade or Paragon is that path), I recommend getting it at least to 4k, but that's hard without playing multiplayer.

For "best" endings you should have 5k just in case.

But as long as you have the "Minimum" amount that you get by simply playing the game, doing no side quests and no scanning missions, you don't have to worry about war assets.

I do recommend playing as much of the game, and doing as many side quests as possible. Chances are you won't be coming back to ME3 after seeing the last 15 minutes or so.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
maninahat said:
For some reason, I find it very hard to give a shit.

I don't see how her being based on a stock photo makes any difference. She is still the same character right? Most of the fans wouldn't have even known it was a stock photo without someone spilling the beans and reminding them to be enraged, which just goes to show how little it mattered.

The problem is that fans have blown up the characters to sacred proportions, so any perceived disservice to them demands disproportionate complaints. Most modern games on this scale cut corners or use stock images (I'm sure Half Life 2 is full of them). It doesn't impede gameplay, you probably never noticed it in the first place, and if it allows the game to be released, it is surely worth it.
I'm with this
seriously, they are giving too much shit to Bioware and Mass Effect
the gay shepard outrage? tali's picture a stock photo? it's as if the fans forgot that games are for having fun and also that Bioware took good care of their sequels to Mass Effect rather than making bad sequels that feel more like expansions or cash-ins
which is pretty damn uncommon now

FenixZero

Mar 8, 2012
Abedeus said:
FenixZero said:
Abedeus said:
FenixZero said:
Abedeus said:
FenixZero said:
Abedeus said:

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Ah.

Well, if you want to see Shapard survive (not knowing beforehand whether Renegade or Paragon is that path), I recommend getting it at least to 4k, but that's hard without playing multiplayer.

For "best" endings you should have 5k just in case.

But as long as you have the "Minimum" amount that you get by simply playing the game, doing no side quests and no scanning missions, you don't have to worry about war assets.

I do recommend playing as much of the game, and doing as many side quests as possible. Chances are you won't be coming back to ME3 after seeing the last 15 minutes or so.
Noted, thanks for the advice.

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
MetalMagpie said:
Higgs303 said:

I think they are art, slightly crass underdeveloped art perhaps. They certainly achieve a basic level of creative storytelling and design. I suppose it is larely subjective what a person considers art, regardless of the medium.

You do make a good point though. My overall enjoyment and immersion while gaming has decreased over the years. I often wonder if my tastes have simply changed or I become too critical. However, my enjoyment of other mediums of entertainment has increased as I have become more critical of them, so why would gaming be any different?

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Wow Bioware. This isn't a shit storm, it's a god damn hurricane. I wonder what the next bit of info to send fan's into a rage is going to be? I can't wait *grabs the popcorn*

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I think the big problem for a lot of the people complaining about this is that they used a poorly photo shopped stock photo to reveal the physical characteristics of an entire race, let alone one of the most loved characters in the series.

It doesn't particularly bother me since I'm not getting the game unless it goes on sale for like £5 - £10 but I figured i'd put my opinion forward anyways, also, if it were up to me she'd look like this:

To be fair, no matter what she looked like people would have complained.

May 28, 2009
Does any one really care, after everything else wrong with EA atm people are bummed out over a face. Get real people.