BioWare Uses Stock Photo for Tali in Mass Effect 3

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
I have a question!

How can it be Tali's face if the Quarrians don't remove their suites?
They go to the quarian home world about 2/3rds of the way into the campaign, and apparently Tali takes off her mask there.

Zerero

Mar 14, 2012
Dead_Lee said:
Why am I pissed off about this?

Because Bioware had a memorable character and after five years they couldn't be bothered to do her justice.

It's this lazy artwork, their practice of cutting corners and their terrible copy-pasted level design that makes bioware an awful company.
Alright, I read page 1, some of page 6, and didn't really give enough of a shit to dig through the rest of this collection of crap. The quote above is generally my opinion.

Yes, I'm a devoted talimancer. From staring at those hips in Mass Effect 1 to finally getting some in Mass Effect 2. To this. I could write a long ass paragraph on this, but I'm tired.

Simply; I'm disappointed Bioware. Very disappointed. *sniffles*

I'm going to pretend it never happened. Not going to ruin one of my favorite fictional characters. Not because Bioware turned to shit.

Zerero

Mar 14, 2012
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Why couldn't they have used this picture?
Saw this after posting, and also earlier today while browsing other threads. That piece of art is awesome, and would of been much better.

Not saying I was too crazy about the reveal in the first place.

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
SPOILER AHEAD

I was going on a new playthrough cause my save files were corrupted, anyway : I made all the right choices and she threw herself off a fucking bridge.

THE FUCK BIOWARE? I made all the interventions I could, and she kills herself?.
And what the fuck happened to my quarian admiral war asset? it just dissapears?

Oh well screw that I love the geth anyway, after seeing those data hubs the quarians just feel like nazi's to me.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
*scissors were here*
Hey, no worries. Now you know, and really, while the ending is absolutely god-awful horrible, its short, making it kind of easy to ignore. The best bits do outweigh the bad in terms of gameplay. Story-wise, I still feel the end is nigh-unforgivable without some change/epilogue/deeper meaning and explanation, but overall, its still a great game with wonderful character interaction.

And trust me, the second playthrough with a character is much, much better. You not only know what you want and don't want to do in terms of decisions, but you can get your guns and armor back after the first trip to the Citadel. You'll need to manually change it back, but its still nice to have them back early on.

May 28, 2009
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
I have a question!

How can it be Tali's face if the Quarrians don't remove their suites?
They go to the quarian home world about 2/3rds of the way into the campaign, and apparently Tali takes off her mask there.
Then how is the stock photo Tali's face or is it just the internet being the internet?

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Everyone has said it all before and there's pretty much no need to add anything more to the discussion... but I wish to weigh in with my opinion all the same.

1) The act of using a stock photo is just downright lazy.
2) Tali is a huge fan favourite (including me) and Bioware know this. Using a stock photo is also downright disrespectful.
3) It's not even a GOOD photoshop.
4) I didn't have an opinion on how she looked because frankly I never really wanted to know, but they didn't even make much effort to make her look distinct. She's essentially just a human with white eyes and some lines on her skin.
5) Hair? Really? Living in a suit like that all your life would make such long hair inconvenient and no doubt makes it harder to maintain a sterile environment. I imagined they would all be rather bald.

Bad call Bioware, bad freaking call.

JoelChenFA

Play Minecraft. Watch Top Gear.
Nov 24, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
icnfde said:
Greg Tito said:
Statements like the above make it hard to understand exactly why people are upset. According to some, BioWare is lazy for using an image service instead of crafting the image from scratch, while others seem to use this as evidence for something else they didn't care for, like the writing. Could have BioWare have used a custom image? Yes. Does using a stock image diminish your experience of the game? No.
Wait, isn't this the same guy that praised Dragon Age II for it's "innovate gameplay and masterful storytelling"? Not a direct quote obviously, but the review was practically gushing. And we're supposed to trust this guy's opinion because...?

Does using a stock image diminish your experience of the game? No.
You couldn't be more ignorant if you tried. The fact that you said this makes me question whether or not you're an actual fan of the Mass Effect series at all or you're just a paid shill all dolled up on corporate endorsements from big daddy EA. The fact that a company actually spent money sending copies of their game into ****ing space only to cheap out on the graphics and art depart is spectacularly lazy design, intensified even moreso by the fact that this is supposedly a modern AAA developer.
If I had a quid for every time somebody hinted that part of the escapist crew are being payed for their reviews, I'd be a very rich man.

Say what you want about his argument, but please, stay fucking classy.
You would have even more if its a Quid for everytime someone claimed escapist didn't pay them or videos / articles and such.

Dec 14, 2009
JoelChenFA said:
Daystar Clarion said:
icnfde said:
Greg Tito said:
Statements like the above make it hard to understand exactly why people are upset. According to some, BioWare is lazy for using an image service instead of crafting the image from scratch, while others seem to use this as evidence for something else they didn't care for, like the writing. Could have BioWare have used a custom image? Yes. Does using a stock image diminish your experience of the game? No.
Wait, isn't this the same guy that praised Dragon Age II for it's "innovate gameplay and masterful storytelling"? Not a direct quote obviously, but the review was practically gushing. And we're supposed to trust this guy's opinion because...?

Does using a stock image diminish your experience of the game? No.
You couldn't be more ignorant if you tried. The fact that you said this makes me question whether or not you're an actual fan of the Mass Effect series at all or you're just a paid shill all dolled up on corporate endorsements from big daddy EA. The fact that a company actually spent money sending copies of their game into ****ing space only to cheap out on the graphics and art depart is spectacularly lazy design, intensified even moreso by the fact that this is supposedly a modern AAA developer.
If I had a quid for every time somebody hinted that part of the escapist crew are being payed for their reviews, I'd be a very rich man.

Say what you want about his argument, but please, stay fucking classy.
You would have even more if its a Quid for everytime someone claimed escapist didn't pay them or videos / articles and such.
Which gives me hope for the majority of members on this site.

Tias Allard

Mar 11, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqL68fLpwYk
Seems BioWare responded.
*Dances away wearing a top hat and waving a cane*

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
The picture kinda disappointed me. Not with regards to how it looks though, more just with the general vibe of laziness/rushed work I get from it.

The ending kinda disappointed me because....well, you all know.

But fuck it, it's still a great game and I still love.

Skataneric

Mar 27, 2009
The problem I have with the photo is that the lack of effort completely ruins the Quarian lore in the game. I could care less about the whole "I love Tali" thing. I shagged Ashley in the first one, Jack and Tali in the second one, and Liara in this last one.

1. She has human features when she has been described differently elsewhere. Mass Effect: Ascension, (the infamous) page 235: "The other cheek gaped wide, as if someone had slit it lengthwise from lip to what passed for the quarian version of an ear."
2. The hand wasn't shopped properly to fit Quarian physiology.
3. She is outside on a planet. Since losing their home world, Quarians have lived exclusively within the migrant fleet's ships, only venturing out for their pilgrimage.
4. She is without her suit. Since being restricted to space, Quarians have a compromised immune system and any exposure will cause near to actual death. She even explains this within ME3 saying that even with the geth integration, it would still take years before Quarians can go suitless.

They've also put hours into videos explaining how they come up with concepts and races....
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/04/22/mass-effect-3-creating-garrus.aspx
@ around 5:35 he mentions that Tali did have hair, and that it was shorter as she aged and matured.
@ around 7:25 he talks about Tali and understands the expectations.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/04/25/mass-effect-the-origin-of-species.aspx
Just more movies of the depth they put into each race and the concept art.

They obviously had concept art for Tali. After a complete lore buildup over 3 games, a single picture contradicts everything.