BioWare Uses Stock Photo for Tali in Mass Effect 3

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Awwww...I shouldn't have clicked that spoiler. I wanted to see the image, but didn't want to know why. Dang. :( Now I'm sad. Could have given the photo without the reason, man. Not nice, Greg. Not nice.

Waaghpowa said:
I'm not going to get enraged about this, but it all comes off as somewhat suspicious. I just can't tell if it was intentionally done or laziness.

Well...seeing as they had a world premiere of the trailer during the show...I'm gonna go ahead and call that one intentional.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
at this point, I just don't care. The tone of this public sulking that's been going on even pre-launch for this game is pathetic. Plus, let's face it, people would have complained like children no matter what Tali looked like. I say let the devs do what they want with their characters. We don't deserve them.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
To be fair, it's not so much the picture that bothers me about this, but mostly the text that was left over it. That's not exactly the spoiler one expects when looking for a picture of a character's face.
Also, not having played ME3 myself yet: What the Christ brought her to THAT?!

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Windu23 said:
It's meant to tie the two together. It's intentional.
BehattedWanderer said:
Well...seeing as they had a world premiere of the trailer during the show...I'm gonna go ahead and call that one intentional.
<---does not watch TV and hasn't had cable/satellite for 24 years. So that's why.

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
Eh. Shepard is based off of Mark Vanderloo, Miranda is Yvonne Strahovsky, Liara is Jillian Murray, now Tali is....whoever the hell that is. No skin off my ass.

Dec 14, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
So they ruined Tali's revel?
Stop the presses.
Daystar Clarion said:
A shit storm is a coming.

Okay people, come with me if you want to live, I have a bunker.

Honestly? This doesn't really bother me. It isn't going to lessen my experience of the game and I quite like the picture. What does it matter whether it's made from scratch or not?

Well, unless you're a Talimancer of course, but then you've got more things to worry about.
They couldn't even be bothered to give an alien character an original face?
Not even the face of her voice actor.
Not even the face of a model specifically hired for the character. No
They went to all the trouble of giving Ashley a make-over, and Tali gets dumped
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/gallery/2002/02/01/ruff_head.jpgIt's just insulting.
I'm still finding it difficult to give a fuck, and I love Mass Effect, hell Tali is one of my favourite characters and I still don't really care, because compared to the clusterfuck of uncanny valley that is the Mass Effect characters, that picture looks great.

Some people don't like it, and that's fine, but with the way some people are carrying on, you'd think Bioware pissed on their grandmothers or something.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Let me explain how this all works to you guys.

1) Something, anything, in a Bioware game is revealed to the public.

2) Shitstorm rages for weeks.

3) Between 95 and 99% of this is a bunch of crybabies wailing about anything they possibly can owing to a deeply unfulfilling life at home. 1 to 5% of this are genuinely disappointed fans whose hopes have been hurt in some small way important enough to them to make a difference.

4) Genuine disappointments are assimilated into the mob as "hard evidence" Bioware is turning its back on their fanbase.

3) Meanwhile, almost everyone continues playing in ignorance of the outside turmoil.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Oro44 said:
Eh. Shepard is based off of Mark Vanderloo, Miranda is Yvonne Strahovsky, Liara is Jillian Murray, now Tali is....whoever the hell that is. No skin off my ass.
Liz Sroka.

This is what I thought Tali should look like... http://fav.me/d2zcbd0 I guess it's not that bad, and in line with 'using real people to come up with character's faces'... Wonder who was the inspiration of Kasumi and Zaeed.

But the other, lazy, and blatant ripoffs... it's really really cheap of them. Is this the sign of Bioware not caring anymore? Or is it because they've been spread too thin due to SWTOR?

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Irridium said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Irridium said:
Thread is already kind of spoiler-y, but I'll ask my question in spoiler tags just to be safe.

Tali kills herself? Why? Someone want to fill me in? I'm not going to be buying this game for a while, and obviously don't give a damn about spoilers since I'm already here, so why did she do it?
After killing the Reaper that was controlling the Geth, Legion suggests uploading the Reaper tech into the Geth so that they can upgrade themselves. They're willing to stop fighting if the Quarians stop.

If you don't do things properly, the Quarians refuse to back down, and the Flotilla is annihilated by the Geth fleet. Watching everyone die, Tali takes off her mask to expose herself to infection, then throws herself off a cliff.
I see...

So, if you do do things properly, does she still live and everyone is happy?
Sorta. Legion will always "die" (in this case uploading his consciousness into the Collective}, but both sides can be brought to peace. The Flotilla stops fighting, Legion upgrades the Geth, Tali lives, and both come to terms with each other.

I'm going by the script leak, but you could probably find a youtube link.
Here's one. It shows the bad ending, but the description also talks about how to make peace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp0DWB9IzK0
Yes there is a way to make everyone happy in that the Geth suggest cohabitation with the Quarians and even begin to help build housing as well as integrating themselves with Quarian life suits to speed up the process of re-adapting to their home world. In this case you still receive the photo of her as a gift from Tali for making it all possible. Dunno if romance falls into it as I had romanced her in ME2 and kept it going to the end in ME3.

Socken

Jan 29, 2009
VulakAerr said:
Let me explain how this all works to you guys.

1) Something, anything, in a Bioware game is revealed to the public.

2) Shitstorm rages for weeks.

3) Between 95 and 99% of this is a bunch of crybabies wailing about anything they possibly can owing to a deeply unfulfilling life at home.
I stopped reading there because I can easily counter that with: "95 to 99% of the people defending this sort of thing are mindless consumer drones owing to a deeply unfulfilling life at home and absolutely everywhere else [citation needed]."

Here's how it really works:

1) A company puts out a product full of lazy copy paste jobs, uninspired art, story and gameplay.

2) The game gets hailed as the second coming of Christ.

3) People rightfully point out the many flaws and exaggerate them, just like everybody else exaggerates the quality of the game.

4) "YOU'RE JUST MAD BECAUSE YOUR MOMMY DIDN'T LOVE YOU YOU NASTY TROLL!"

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
What disappoints me is that they showed her face at all. I felt like the mask was a major part of her character. For me it WAS her face. But know that face is canon and we all know the Quarians look likeish. It doesn't kill Mass Effect for me, its still a great game and series but it does disappoint me.

Socken

Jan 29, 2009
Aisaku said:
Oro44 said:
Liz Sroka.

This is what I thought Tali should look like... http://fav.me/d2zcbd0 I guess it's not that bad, and in line with 'using real people to come up with character's faces'... Wonder who was the inspiration of Kasumi and Zaeed.

But the other, lazy, and blatant ripoffs... it's really really cheap of them. Is this the sign of Bioware not caring anymore? Or is it because they've been spread too thin due to SWTOR?
The thing is, those people they're based on are their voice actors, so it makes sense.

This was literally some graphic designer googling up a random image, spending 5 minutes in photoshop, and putting it into the game as the face of a character whose looks had been a mystery for 2 entire games.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Dammit, why did they even want to show a picture of Tali anyway? The most interesting part of her was the whole mystery thing. They'd have saved themselves a lot of fan bitching by just keeping it that way.

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
Aisaku said:
Oro44 said:
Liz Sroka.

That's the voice actress but not the model they used. On that, I think I'm going to bow out of commenting on Bioware-EA threads. Too much negative energy.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
Kind of a lazy cop out reveal tbh but im not that fussed really as a kind of expected them to come up with something dumb that was'nt in anyway based on the concept drawings they did years ago(or heck an actual image filtered through the concepts so we had something near enough) but that spoiler was completely uncalled for and should be removed from the picture.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
I'm actually appalled, not just at this, but the whole horrible mess that is Mass Effect 3 so far. They had a million options and they (or their outsourced art department) came up with this?

Did they just... I don't know... bite off more than they could chew, or something? Isn't their number of artists above the usual percentage of the average AAA company? Wasn't there even one of them who could have been given the task of "design a Quarian face" (let alone all the other huge art and design problems inherent in the game)?

Bioware is a huge source of pride for Canadian gamers, but... I hope that can still be the case. I've been running into a lot of issues with them recently.