BioWare Uses Stock Photo for Tali in Mass Effect 3

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
Yet another case of people getting their panties in a twist over something that really doesn't matter. Does it affect your enjoyment of the game to know that they used a stock photo for its intended purpose? Really? It shouldn't because it's literally a trivial concern. It doesn't affect gameplay, and until someone pointed it out, you didn't even know. This isn't BioWare doing anything wrong, this is people on the Internet looking for something to be upset about. And it's stupid.

Note: the "you" in this post refers to the people who think this is a big deal, not to you the reader. Just in case that wasn't clear.

cross_breed

Mar 22, 2011
As far as the picture goes, yeah, it's a bit lazy. It doesn't bother me, because I never would've even known it was a stock image if I'd not seen it. Here's my thing. I'm seventeen, and I've taken half a PhotoShop class... I could make something like this in an hour or so, maybe less... How about it BioWare? You guys looking for some new artists?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
a ginger491 said:
Waaghpowa said:
I'm not going to get enraged about this, but it all comes off as somewhat suspicious. I just can't tell if it was intentionally done or laziness.

It was probably done because the trailer premiered on the Walking Dead, so it makes sense to make it look similar to the show poster
Not to sound like a jerk, but you should really read later posts. I've explained like 3 times.

Once again, I have never had cable/satellite in my life, so I don't watch TV much.

May 5, 2010
How is that any better or worse then any other image Bioware could have used? Who cares if it's a stock photo? If it looks right, it looks right. They could have crafted an image from scratch that was a thousand times worse, or found another stock photo that was a thousand times better. The origin of the image doesn't actually effect the quality, especially in this case.

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
After giving it some thought, it doesn't bother me that its constructed off of an existing real photo. What doesn't quite sit right with me is that Tali has been the "cute nerdy girl" and that's just not what I'm seeing in the picture.

a ginger491

Apr 8, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
I'm not going to get enraged about this, but it all comes off as somewhat suspicious. I just can't tell if it was intentionally done or laziness.

It was probably done because the trailer premiered on the Walking Dead, so it makes sense to make it look similar to the show poster

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
While it certainly felt lazy and lame, it isn't going to ruin anything for me. I still just picture her as the character in-game, rather than that picture. It is kind of lame Bioware cut corners so bad. The way the game is, it feels like it was made by some people who gave a damn and others who didn't give two shits. The difference in quality is jarring sometimes.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Abedeus said:
Roganzar said:
Abedeus said:
Roganzar said:
Eh!?!
This is not game changing in any way. Mass Effect 3 is a great game with a well crafted story and using stock photos to create something else is not a bad thing. We all need inspiration.
They spend hundreds of dollars to launch several copies of the game that make a handful of people will find (if they don't fall into the ocean), but when it comes to unveiling a race of previously permanently veiled aliens, they take some random kid off the street, $15 photo and half an hour in photoshop later they put this piece of crap in an AAA game.

And you expect us to be happy? Bioware isn't a God damn indie developer, it's a massive and probably one of the oldest active developers on the scene.
There is a difference between EA and Bioware. Bioware made the game, EA published and marketed the game.
Beyond that I don't care about anyone else's opinion of this. I simply offered my own.
However if this causes you, and other people get anger, you all need something better to do.
Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to play more Mass Effect 3.
Daystar Clarion said:
Roganzar said:
Abedeus said:
Roganzar said:
Eh!?!
This is not game changing in any way. Mass Effect 3 is a great game with a well crafted story and using stock photos to create something else is not a bad thing. We all need inspiration.
They spend hundreds of dollars to launch several copies of the game that make a handful of people will find (if they don't fall into the ocean), but when it comes to unveiling a race of previously permanently veiled aliens, they take some random kid off the street, $15 photo and half an hour in photoshop later they put this piece of crap in an AAA game.

And you expect us to be happy? Bioware isn't a God damn indie developer, it's a massive and probably one of the oldest active developers on the scene.
There is a difference between EA and Bioware. Bioware made the game, EA published and marketed the game.
Beyond that I don't care about anyone else's opinion of this. I simply offered my own.
However if this causes you, and other people get anger, you all need something better to do.
Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to play more Mass Effect 3.
I have to agree with you.

I got the game today and I can't believe how much better everything is. Getting pissed off at something like this seems trivial compared to how great the rest of the game is.
We'll see how both of you feel about Bioware after you finish the game.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
I have finished Mass Effect 3 and I like how it ended. While I have other endings to see, I am far from disappointed in what has become one of my favorite video game series. In light of seeing what they crafted here, one photoshopped stock photo that is easily missed and is in no way important to the story, is completely irrelevant. Any hate or betrayal by this is simply stupid.
On that, I am going to see the other endings and enjoy the multiplayer more.
Bioware I salute you in honor of my Shepard.

Dance Commander

Sep 10, 2010
God I don't know how people defend this garbage. The death of creativity. Bioware can import the model and voice of a "journalist" into the game but they relegate the design of a whole race to a photoshop of a stock image.

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
We need dlc to make tali's unmasking on Rannoch a high quality cutscene. ( something that we can save before)
perhaps a few other quarians.
in a photo end game, say tali, raan and certain ones that survive.
and if you romanced her a decently rendered romance scene showing her face as well.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Dance Commander said:
God I don't know how people defend this garbage. The death of creativity. Bioware can import the model and voice of a "journalist" into the game but they relegate the design of a whole race to a photoshop of a stock image.
It's funny because everytime I see someone defend some of the really bad design decisions made in this game (e.g. quest journal, endings, this, etc.) I just cannot get over that Allers character. How many lines of dialog does that complete waste of a character get? Stupid premise, horrible design (what is that outfit), and acting so wooden I am surprised branches aren't growing out of her ass.

I am sure Biodrones will jump to point out how many different teams work on the game, but I really do wonder what things people actually care about could have been improved if that stupid character weren't in the game.

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
Meh. She looked exactly how I imagined her, and it's not like she unmasks every time you see her. I don't see why people are upset over this.

John Farce

Jul 17, 2011
^biodrones gonna be biodrones as always

anyone defending or supporting such practices is downright retarded, there are no other words for it

they make a full 3D model of jessica chobot (fucking useless character in ME3) in the game, but tali?

nah, 2 minute photoshop and we're good

Evil Teddie

Feb 7, 2011
John Farce said:
^biodrones gonna be biodrones as always

anyone defending or supporting such practices is downright retarded, there are no other words for it

they make a full 3D model of jessica chobot (fucking useless character in ME3) in the game, but tali?

nah, 2 minute photoshop and we're good
This.

I hope you like your pile of money Bioware...

Down the slope of quality we go! Seriously, after Dragon Age 2, I'm not surprised.

Hargrimm

Jan 1, 2010
Magichead said:
Yep, stop the presses, it's official; "'Bioware can do no wrong', says Escapist Magazine staff, while repeatedly making veiled insults about their readership".

So, Gamespy got eaten and shat back out by IGN, Gamespot is a joke wrapped in a lie wrapped in a tortilla, and now the Escapist has jumped the shark as well; anyone know any good gaming sites, ideally ones not run by rabid fanboys and which has a writing staff of journalists rather than editorialists?
I heard good things about Gamebanshee.

RPGCodex/Tacticular Cancer does some good interviews (lots of trolls though, but it also has a handy ignore list)

Gamasutra, maybe.

also, this guy: http://criticalmissive.blogspot.com/
(aka sea or searanox on various forums like Gamebanshee/RPGCodex and sometimes on the escapist)

Guilherme Zoldan

Jun 20, 2011
Honestly I see no issue with manipulated photography as a form of art. But this is not a very impressive photoshop and its Tali's fucking face, it was really important to the fans, at least they could have come up with some original art for it.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Irridium said:
Thread is already kind of spoiler-y, but I'll ask my question in spoiler tags just to be safe.

Tali kills herself? Why? Someone want to fill me in? I'm not going to be buying this game for a while, and obviously don't give a damn about spoilers since I'm already here, so why did she do it?
If nobody's said it yet, during ME3 you can choose to save the Geth over the Quarians. If that's the case, Tali offs herself because she can't deal with most of her people being dead.

On topic: I have absolutely no issue with the photo itself. It'd be nice if it was wholly original, but I don't see any inherent problem with using a stock photo for it.