BioWare Video Shows "Dynamic" Shepard in Action

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Video Shows "Dynamic" Shepard in Action

Commander Shepard will be more lifelike and "dynamic" in Mass Effect 3, peeking, rolling and punching like it's nobody's business.

A new BioWare Pulse is kicking around the tubes and that means it's time to skip past about a minute and a half of yammering to get to the bit we're interested in. [Seriously, right around 1:30 is a good place to start if you want to keep the signal-to-noise ratio at a reasonable level.] This time around it's a look at Commander Shepard himself, who will be "more dynamic" than in the previous games as he roams around the battlefield and beats the crap out of everything he sees.

In previous Mass Effect 3 video [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Collectors-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SYZS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323447304&sr=8-1], Shepard will take advantage of a new synchronization system which will automatically line him up with his opponent, ensuring a perfect punch to the throat every time and making heavy melee moves much more reliable.

Enemy "reactivity" to attacks and damage has also been improved. "You feel like everything you do to the enemies is causing a realistic impact on them," explained gameplay designer Eric Fagnan. "If you hit them from the side, they'll stumble to the side, if you hit them in the back, they'll stumble forward; this works with all our melee, all our weapons and all our powers."

The first thought that entered my head when I saw Shepard's new moves is that he looks an awful lot like Adam Jensen these days. The second was, why does an omni-blade flip out like a switchblade and sound like a ginsu knife punching through a can?

Mass Effect 3 comes out on March 6, 2012 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, this does sound like they're making him more like Adam Jensen. Which is fine by me.

Also, you mispelled your Title. Shepard is "Dymamic"? He is going to have large breasts?

Apr 28, 2008
I wonder if they'll ever talk about something other than combat. Surely they'll talk about the enviornments next. Or the various NPC's you'll meet and interact with.

Right?

Please?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Whelp, not much I can say that I haven't said five times already. Looks nice, want to play it, hurry the fuck up March 2012.

Now, lets see how long it takes for someone to complain about the omni-tool blade.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
Neither Dragon Age II nor Arrival deserve to win best RPG or best DLC respectively. I enjoyed both of them, but neither were exceptional.

As for most anticipated, it's a tough choice between ME3 and Bioshock Infinite, but seeing as ME3 is the concluding instalment of a thus far brilliant trilogy, I'll have to give my vote to ME3.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Irridium said:
I wonder if they'll ever talk about something other than combat. Surely they'll talk about the enviornments next. Or the various NPC's you'll meet and interact with.

Right?

Please?
What do you think this is? Some kind of RPG?

[sub]j/k.[/sub]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I swear, the more I see of this game the more worried I am about it sucking.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
So we'll be able to assault aggressive journalists with pinpoint accuracy now?

Je Suis Ubermonkey

Jun 10, 2010
"a new synchronization system which will automatically line him up with his opponent, ensuring a perfect punch to the throat every time and making heavy melee moves much more reliable."
So the badassery of my assault-sentinel Kate Shepard who punched everything to death in ME2 will not be continued into ME3, because now everyone will be able to do it with ease. Even the krogan chieftains I punched down weep at this loss. I am seriously hoping this is something i can turn off.

I wish Bioware would make up their damn minds; is this a cover based TPS or a boxing simulator? I really wish they'd choose the former so playing it as the latter would still be rewarding and challenging.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Irridium said:

Right?

Please?
This. I think it is easy to see what direction THIS franchise is heading.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
JaredXE said:
Also, you mispelled your Title. Shepard is "Dymamic"? He is going to have large breasts?
Hey, gimme a break. "Dynamic" is hard to spell. And you misspelled "misspelled," so HA!

(actually, i've just got boobs on the brain. dymammmmmmm)

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
How dare they change the shape of the N7 armor shoulder pad!

That's it Mass Effect is ruined forever!

;)

pluizig

Jan 11, 2010
When I read the title I was convinced they weren't going to talk about the combat for once.

I read it as a way of conversing with NPC and reacting differently accoring to their personal history or something.

But noooooo. Combat it is. Again.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
2 things.

So Mass Effect 3 is just managing to do the things that Gears 1 did four years ago?.... Okay.

and

Captain Anderson!! Yay, more Captain Anderson. I can listen to that guys voice at the end of the world and it would still make me feel good. It's like having honey poured into your ears.... or summin' like that.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
You know, I find it rather sad that they don't want to tell us about what improvements are being made to the RPG elements. Instead, they are making a big deal over stuff that companies like Epic or Guerrilla have done better two years ago.

Look at the animations in Killzone 2, or Gears of War 2. Especially the stumbling and impact animations. They trump anything Bioware put into that video.