BioWare Video Shows "Dynamic" Shepard in Action

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Well it's nice to see how they changed the melee from ME1 and 2, seriously guys did anyone ever stop and look at that thing? It was an ineffectual little gun flail. Very unlike Shepard

Wonder how they'll rewrite their techno-canon to allow holograms to stab people though...

Hurry up March, you lazy bastard. Why can't you be more like January?

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Well, maybe I am wrong, but it seems like that was the intention (focusing on the combat, I mean), since the shift between Mass effect 1 and 2. The first game was already really lightweight when it come to the RPG mechanics, and the second one moved further down that road, by streamlining the combat system (which is, in my opinion, a mixed bag. Better than the first game, but the whole "ammo lying/spawning on the ground" thing isn't really my cup of tea, as it isn't the almost total absence of an inventory, but still an improvement over the way it was implemented in the first). I like the series, don't get me wrong, but it feels like they intend to make it a shooter with some RPG elements and a good story (which can be good, if a bit weird), rather than an action/RPG.

Aug 1, 2010
Ha. I love how they talk about how dynamic and changing everything is and then proceed to show the exact same attack animation six times in row.

Please don't let this game suck..... PLEASE just let the combat focus of the previews be Bioware saving all the really good shit to be reveled in the game.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Worgen said:
I swear, the more I see of this game the more worried I am about it sucking.
I'm getting to that point too. It's really starting to scare me that all they ever talk about is combat and combat related things.

OT: Great. Another 3ps with chest high walls. Whether it's a good game or not it's at least gonna be fun watching Yahtzee tear it a new one.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Dragon Age 2 is the best RPG of the year? Oh my god Bioware, don't do that to me, you almost made me die from laughter (and I'm someone who didn't mind Dragon Age 2 that much).

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
I am of the oppinion that gameplay elements has largely improved since ME1. That dreadful inventory system and the vechile section sometimes made me want to weep.

Has the game been more streamlined towards a shooter? Sure it has. And I dont mind it. Mass Effect is still very far away from say Gears of War(an example mentioned a lot) and it still keeps many of its highly praised character interaction elements and story that to me makes the game series so compelling.
It is indeed sad that Bioware Pulse seems to mostly focus on gameplay elements, but at least many story-based elements have been confirmed for the game by Bioware, if not just on Bioware pulse. After all, it doesnt need to be on pulse for it to "hit the feed", so to speak.

So no, Mass Effect 3 is not gonna be another "what´s story? Screw any sort of character interaction or memorable storytelling!"-shooter-game just because they show a lot of gameplay footage.

As for the pulse episode and "dynamic" shepard...nothing special. Nothing of it seems remarkable or particulary new in the gaming industry, and my care factor is fairly low.
"Good enough, I guess" would cover it.
Gameplay elements isnt why this is my most anticipated game of 2012, the story is. But I suppose I cant blame Bioware for thinking that not everyone thinks along those lines.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
sir.rutthed said:
Worgen said:
I swear, the more I see of this game the more worried I am about it sucking.
I'm getting to that point too. It's really starting to scare me that all they ever talk about is combat and combat related things.

OT: Great. Another 3ps with chest high walls. Whether it's a good game or not it's at least gonna be fun watching Yahtzee tear it a new one.
From everything I've seen about the game, it really looks like they are trying to copy the cod series, which is really the wrong direction to take for mass effect, I mean if it didn't have a successful mass effect 1 then you can bet your ass it would be a fps game, I almost wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of any control over your ship this time, so they could show more buildings get blown up.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I'll just join others in saying, Dragon age 2 best rpg of the year?... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA..Oh you're serious? LET ME LAUGH EVEN HARDER.

Right now that's out of the way.

To me the movement still looks slightly robotic and I've never really been a fan of that 'sticking' to the cover behaviour but I guess it works for the game.

The Omni tool seems to me like they want to be working on Gears of War. Also If you do the finishing move thing can enemies be shooting the crap out of you while your stuck in the animation?

Don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to mass effect 3 (yay Joker) but this just seems like a copy of some GOW behaviour and nothing really that new.

I don't like GOW for the record.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Fucking hilarious. Rolling out of cover is now "advanced combat technique". Dragon Age 2 for best RPG ? Mass Effect 3 looking like Adam Jensen's VR simulator ?
Look folks, I don't really mind combat oriented game (I made peace with that), but this just looks like they have nothing interesting to show. Synchronizing punches with the enemies? Will Shepard take damage during that animation? Seems like it's gonna get repetitive (unless they make a crazy finishing move out of it). Also, in the heat of battle, when I need to make a split second tactical decision, last thing I'll notice is in which direction my enemy stumbles when hit.

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Tomeran said:
I am of the oppinion that gameplay elements has largely improved since ME1. That dreadful inventory system and the vechile section sometimes made me want to weep.

Has the game been more streamlined towards a shooter? Sure it has. And I dont mind it. Mass Effect is still very far away from say Gears of War(an example mentioned a lot) and it still keeps many of its highly praised character interaction elements and story that to me makes the game series so compelling.
It is indeed sad that Bioware Pulse seems to mostly focus on gameplay elements, but at least many story-based elements have been confirmed for the game by Bioware, if not just on Bioware pulse. After all, it doesnt need to be on pulse for it to "hit the feed", so to speak.

So no, Mass Effect 3 is not gonna be another "what´s story? Screw any sort of character interaction or memorable storytelling!"-shooter-game just because they show a lot of gameplay footage.

As for the pulse episode and "dynamic" shepard...nothing special. Nothing of it seems remarkable or particulary new in the gaming industry, and my care factor is fairly low.
"Good enough, I guess" would cover it.
Gameplay elements isnt why this is my most anticipated game of 2012, the story is. But I suppose I cant blame Bioware for thinking that not everyone thinks along those lines.

But was it good to completely get rid of the inventory, and the items that would have come with one? I know this is an old argument, but having something like 4-5 different models for each kind of weapon, with different stats or quality wouldn't have been that bad. They turned the combat in a rock-paper-scissor kind of game, with a really limited number of viable tactics/enemies combinations (you might argue that in the first one there wasn't any need for tactics at all, but it gave you the freedom to put together a tactic or a preferred style on your own, and you could make it more difficult, if you made the wrong choices. This way, it makes the game feel on railroads, if you pair it with the predictable "walls to take cover" that would advertise the next fighting zone from a mile away).

You say that you don't mind the shift toward an FPS style, and that's ok, but saying that it is still far away from GOW isn't a good thing. For once, they seem to be going that way, and just a lack of experience in that genre might be what's stopping them from going all the way, also, this should still be an action/RPG. I am all for avoiding some of the old mechanics, that wouldn't really fit with the style anyway, but having the really small skill tree, no inventory, planet probing (but at least later on they added some variety with the hovercraft on the exploration side, even if scanning planets remains still necessary AND annoying), no upgrades for the weapons with different effects (I admit that the way it was done in ME1 was silly, but nothing at all?), giving a cooldown to change the ammo (and making them available only to certain class? That didn't really made sense)? Most of it felt necessary to balance the gameplay, but it was, in my opinion, a step in the wrong direction.

If there wasn't even the story anymore, we wouldn't even discuss this, you'd have to agree that this couldn't possibly be considered a good RPG, maybe a decent FPS at best. Also, while I can't comment on ME3 (of course!), I felt that the second chapter was a kind of "let's not push the story forward too much" choice, so they took a branch from what would have been a more natural development of the plot (and don't get me started with the whole "die and resurrect so that you can be indebted with the bad guys and can also give the game a blank slate" kind of story, that felt a really cheap plot device, to me). I can't comment on the choices, as it seems that most of them will show their full effect in the third chapter.

They are giving a lot of coverage to the mechanics, to the point that one might feel a little worried. While it's true that they couldn't possibly give away the story (who would spoil its own plot?), it still feels another nudge toward the direction of a greater focus toward FPS mechanics.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Wait, Edmonton is making ME3? Welp, I certainly won't be getting it then. Not after they fucked DA 2 up so badly.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Looks like someone is recreating Human Revolution, let's just hope they didn't take any pointers on bosses.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Wonder how they'll rewrite their techno-canon to allow holograms to stab people though...
Hard Light. Why is this such an issue for people? I cannot recall any lore from the previous games to suggests that Hard Light technology doesn't exist, or that the Omni tool is incapable of such things. Also, technological advancement, and all that.

Finally... since when is every game with cover based shooting suddenly Gears of War? Come to think of it... that's just like how every slasher was God of War... omg, it's the acronym!

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
The first thought that entered my head when I saw Shepard's new moves is that he looks an awful lot like Adam Jensen these days. The second was, why does an omni-blade flip out like a switchblade and sound like a ginsu knife punching through a can?
Interestingly enough, that was my first thought also. I had to check the titles at the top of the article again to make sure of what game I was watching.