BioWare's Latest Franchise is Not Quite What We Expected

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
I believe this concept's been done before. It was in an indie game called Dungeonland where you could... yes: play with four people while the Maestro (another player) creates traps and sends minions after you. The skill unlocking and modifiable terrain sound interesting, but not worth the inevitable overprice tag.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well it's a Bioware/EA production which puts it right at the bottom of all lists for me, next to Zynga games.
But I did enjoy the odd composition in the trailer where the narrator goes "Filled with evils, greater then anything on Earth" and the EA logo flashes just then... made my day :D

Rodolphe Kourkenko

Dec 10, 2012
The fact that Bioware is the maker of the game isn't even important now, because they showed absolutly nothing about it, the spoke about customisation, choice and consequences (in solo dungeons, which are 10% at best of the game) but showed only awful screener (you know, the kind of screener that is normally forbidden to use because they don't show any justice to the game itself).

The only way Bioware can make this game interesting is the story, again they showed nothing, they spoke about nothing and it felt like nothing was written yet.
They spoke about episodic updates of the story, their choice of words was bad because i remember clearly the beginning of their sentence "we hope to be able to...". It's smell bad, imo of course. They didn't said if they updates will be free or not.
They spoke about narration and stories and just after they said the game will be a dungeon crawler without ny open area... No hub ? No place where the players can met and discuss ? wut ?

So far, for me, this game is under almost all 4vs1 today because the hype failed and their event was lackluster. I don't understand to purpose of it because they had nothing to show beside a "cool" concept.

So far, imo, they need the Alpha feedback to really beginning the work on the game.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Dafuq, two pages in and nobody's made the obvious Yugioh joke? Your cynicism is suffocating your humor Escapist hivemind...

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
So far I give this a resounding "Meh".

I don't go to Bioware for multiplayer, I go to them for long single player games that can take upwards of 40 hours to play. The kind where I can explore every inch of an area without having 3 other people telling me to hurry up. The kind where if I die it's because I messed up, not because I had some half brain dead team that doesn't know the meaning of simple words like "Focus", "Trap", or "Dodge".

I'm not saying it can't be good. But if you want me to get hyped for it then good luck. If people are still playing it months after it releases then I'll give it a shot. But as it stands now nothing about this piques my interest.

Once I see an announcement trailer for "Jade Empire 2" or something similar, then you'll have my interest again Bioware.

Also who wants to bet that EA saw lots of hype for Evolve and then told Bioware, "Do that".

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Redryhno said:
Dafuq, two pages in and nobody's made the obvious Yugioh joke? Your cynicism is suffocating your humor Escapist hivemind...
Not everyone watches Yu-gi-oh. Even less care about it. Also I highly doubt Shadow Realm is a term exclusive to Yu-gi-oh.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Frozengale said:
So far I give this a resounding "Meh".

I don't go to Bioware for multiplayer, I go to them for long single player games that can take upwards of 40 hours to play. The kind where I can explore every inch of an area without having 3 other people telling me to hurry up. The kind where if I die it's because I messed up, not because I had some half brain dead team that doesn't know the meaning of simple words like "Focus", "Trap", or "Dodge".
To be fair, the ME3 multiplayer was (and is) a lot of fun and well put together I thought.

I go to Bioware for the same things but I reckon they're making ME4 and the new Dragon Age for us. :) So it's not like this game will be to the detriment of their more traditional games.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Is it bad that i wish for this game to fail miserably so that Bioware would focus more on making good SP RPG's instead? That being said i have no interest in this title, not in the setting and i hate coop since it's a pain gathering friends to play the same game with me, let alone 4 of them and playing with strangers turns into a hassle way too often.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
Eh. I feel underwhelmed.

A new Bioware IP is something I would normally be excited or at least interested in. Urban fantasy sounds nice and episodic storytelling, ok. But multiplayer only? Boo!

Other than that, the trailer was just boring. Maybe the game is cool, I don't know, but the trailer certainly didn't make it look so. Just kind of generic. Eh, we'll see...

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
So its Evolve but with magic. Fucking lol, let the clones come I guess. Instead of something interesting like survival horror, they're jumping on the L4D co-op bandwagon. Bioware, you can take your multiplayer and fuck off.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
...I have no idea how to react to this. Guess I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Eh

No ones been able to actually get the story thing right while having multiplayer in your face

And as Somone said "bioware" is now a brand so what comes out isn't going to be all the same

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
This game would be perfect for the Wii U... which is probably the only console it won't be released for.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Anti-American Eagle said:
"Shadow Realms"
Okay, We have a name.
"modern urban fantasy world"
This is starting to sound like something familiar.
"You'll level up playing either role, and unlock various abilities that you can mix and match in a free-form progression system"
Wait, I've seen a system like this before. I've gotta reread that...
"That's right, Shadow Realms focuses exclusively on 4v1 co-op multiplayer. Four players play as heroes who awaken in the modern world with magical powers. They'll team up to battle the Shadowlord, who sets traps, controls minions, and can alter the battlefield. You'll level up playing either role, and unlock various abilities that you can mix and match in a free-form progression system."

Are Catalyst Labs calling their lawyers yet? Because Shadowrun's already been created.
I was thinking the same thing, heh I'm look forward to Bioware being on the receiving end of a lawsuit :)

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
I wish I could be optimistic about this, but the name and trailer make it seem like a bland Shadowrun, multiplayer story games have never really worked for me, and while the idea seems interesting, I never buy a multiplayer-only game.

BioWare's surprised me in the past, but even so, I can't say I'm holding out much hope for this one.