BioWare's New Mass Effect 3 Anime Tells Vega's Story

George Brundage

Sep 15, 2011
Tank207 said:
hoo boy... cheap animation and cheap voice acting ahoy!

Why not do an animated film about Garrus' time on Omega? That would be a hell of a lot more interesting.

A film that's just one and a half hours of Javik throwing things out of the Normandy's airlock would be more interesting than a story about Vega.

That, Sir, was funny...

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
I'm in with the "why Vega?" crowd.

Not only are there far more interesting characters out there, if this is a prequel to ME3 then we know the story! Vega tells you! I don't need any more than that, unless this anime gives a great character exploration. But I doubt that will happen.

(and again I'd rather see that about any other character. Hell I'd love to see that about Samara, the difficulty of committing to a strict code and then having to hunt down and kill your child... why she chose to have three kids after the first one turned out to be Ardak-Yakshi...)

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Unbelievable.
What were they thinking? Of all the interesting characters and back stories they could have done, they chose this? I'd honestly like to have been there to have seen their thought process on this one, as this just leaves me baffled.

Also worst narration I've ever heard.

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
Even if I agree with them most of the times, I can't help but think that the people that brings us the news here on the Escapist are becoming more and more biased.

Are you supposed to give your opinion in every bit of news you show?

Evil mr dave

Apr 28, 2009
I always saw Vega as being a compitent squad mate but not that deep, not that interesting. Aside from the big problem that I have with the trailer that ill get to in a minute im just gonna throw this out there:

Why not make the movie about Thane?

He's a symapthetic, crowd favoured character with a good voice actor, interesting back story and because hes a biotic Drell he can do all the anime flying combat stuff that the kids find so cool these days.

Now onto the big thing:

THE MARINES IN THE VIDEO DO NOT LOOK, ACT OR FIGHT LIKE "WELL TRAINED SPECIAL FORCES"

I want you to pause the video at 0:21

Now compare these people with this image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4c/Navy_SEALs_in_Afghanistan_prior_to_Red_Wing.jpg/767px-Navy_SEALs_in_Afghanistan_prior_to_Red_Wing.jpg

As you can see the Navy SEAL's all look like well trained, well equiped, profesional soldiers (Also I would use the term "Scary Motherfuckers" to describe them)

Note how the guys from the Mass Effect anime all look like there first year college studens, with long hair, glasses (so they dont have corective surgery in the future?) and there stance is just irritating. I've already put way more time into this then I probably should have so let me conclude with this:

Having special forces training means that you will be physically more fit then the average soldier, it means you will have a deeper understanding of tactics and how to move and fight silently, it means that you will be an incredibly proficient gun fighter, which if you play Shepard as a soldier is pretty much exactly the above.

It does not mean that you can duel weild mass accelerator guns (depicted was having 0 recoil in the trailer, anyone who's played the game nows otherwise), flip around the environment like a ninja & survive explosions with you at the epicenter that take up half the screen.

Ow and there suits are inconsistent with how they are depicted as appearing in ME3

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120319162127/masseffect/images/0/01/ME3_Captain_Riley.png

The TL:DR version is that they got everything wrong, and that erks me.

Roroshi14

Dec 3, 2009
I really liked Vega. At first yes I hated him, but there was a void missing in my Team Alpha that used to be filled by Wrex and Grunt, so on a whim I put him in. And I never regretted it. I think doing an anime about while not my first choice, is awesome. He is the only character not really givin the chance to be flushed out that the other crew members of the Normandy has had.

He had a real challenge to be thrown into a story at the last arc and make him a viable asset to the team outside of the "meat shield" role. And while he didn't really bring that thru in the game, he got enough of a story IMO that warrens a deeper telling.

Nerexor

Mar 23, 2009
So what do we exactly see here? Vega doing situps and other exercises? Debating over what ridiculous tattoo to get next? His struggle at fitting through doorways designed for people who aren't roided up muscle monsters?

Tank207 said:
Why not do an animated film about Garrus' time on Omega? That would be a hell of a lot more interesting.
Seconded, I would watch the hell out of that. Instead I tend to run like hell away from this piece of garbage.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I really don't get the Vega hate, yea he wasn't the most well developed member of the cast but he had some good lines and I sure as hell like him more than Kaiden and Jacob.

OT: could be interesting, the talent behind it sounds promising but it could also be super meh like Halo Legends, thankfully between my local family video and the Redboxes all over the place I should be able to rent it for cheap.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
I see I'm in the minority on this one. I used Vega cause he was a pretty damn good squad mate in combat. And yeah he wasn't anywhere near as interesting as the rest of the team, but the team had roughly 3 games of development and he only had the 1. We had a lot more time to get to know the rest of the squad, so the way I see it, this is an opportunity to try and flesh his character out further, and I don't have a problem with that at all.

J.d. Scott

Jun 10, 2011
To be fair, Mass Effect: Conviction was pretty interesting, and I have some deep suspicion that Bioware doesn't so much want to do a fourth game with Shepard as a new series within the same universe, so Vega might be that guy. However, put me down in the "animation looks terrible" camp. James has a derpface in the trailer.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
of all the characters y vega? the dullest character on the crew and they choose him to base an anime on. sigh.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
What is it with EA making anime knockoffs of their products? Every time I see one, I can't help but think they're doing it out of a sense of cheapness and because of the size of the anime fandom that they think people will lap up their shit.

When was the last time anyone made a straight to dvd animated film for a game produced by a western company? Oh right, because "they only make stuff for kids." while anime makes all the mature adult stories.

Fucking hell.

On top of that, the animation looks horrendous, even by the low standard set for the majority of anime, and it is being written by one of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars writers. That is a BAD sign.

For those who don't know, during season 2, Clone Wars best season, two people were doing most of the writing, Henry Gilroy and Paul Dini. Gilroy quit due to disputes and Paul Dini was busy with other projects, turning over the writing responsibilities to people who thought that General Grievous getting beaten by GUNGANS would be awesome entertainment.

Dusk17

Jul 30, 2010
In all likelihood this will still be better than whatever Mass Effect movie they are making. I loved ME but I thought people had realized good games don't make good movies. ME the game had a good story but I can guarantee they are going to make the movie into a Michael Bay style action movie.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
I hate trailers that overdo the narration.

Putting aside how woefully unimpressive this looks, it is pleasing to get a story about James Vega of whom I was quite skeptical at first but came to quite like after realizing that instead of being the stereotype he appears he's a down-to-earth and sensibly- perhaps even subtlety- written character. It's contemptible this attitude that any character that's a normal (well, normal for an N6 in this case) well-adjusted human being is deficiently written. No, admittedly Vega is not particularly interesting but he is humanized by smartly written character moments. I, for one, am happy to see him get his due in animated form.

... Except I'm not because I know when this anime turns out to suck people will hate him even more.

*sigh*

ward0630

Nov 25, 2009
Zzzzzzz Vega is the least interesting character in the game to begin with, so unless this anime reveals he's secretly batman (or similar character loved to death by the internet), then I don't think it will improve my experience.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
... Why Vega?

I think they owe it to fans to give Mordin a backstory, or at least a more liked character.