Black Friday Amazon Deals Highlights: Over 50% off on Electronics

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Black Friday Amazon Deals Highlights: Over 50% off on Electronics

Amazon's Black Friday sales deals offer electronics at over 50% off.

It's Thanksgiving in the United States, which means two things: lots of turkey, and lots of savings. It can be tough to track down all the great discounts offered on and around Black Friday, so we've assembled some of the biggest discounts on Amazon that we could find on items that we think our readers may enjoy.

Here are some highlights for you to peruse from holiday gift guide [http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=759498] for suggestions on how to shop for the geek in your life!

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1009/1009162.jpg

● 48% off: SanDisk Internal SSD 240GB 2.5-Inch SDSSDA-240G-G25 - Deal Price: 59.99 [http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S9Q9VS4?tag=escapist-20]

● 43% off: Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite (7-Inch, Dark Gray) - Deal Price: 79.99 [http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWMPSL0?tag=escapist-20]

● 41% off: SanDisk Extreme 500 Portable SSD 240GB SDSSDEXT-240G-G25 - Deal Price: 89.99 [http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZTRY5IW?tag=escapist-20]

● 40% off: Samsung Simple LED 24" Monitor S24D300H with High Glossy Finish - Deal Price: 119.99 [http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M2UIWKQ?tag=escapist-20]

Note: Defy Media may receive compensation for purchases made through links on this page.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I'm looking into getting some upgrades for my system (Still at a loss over witch version of the GTX 970 to get) and I'm curious about those RAM cards.

Anyone know if upgrading from 6 GB to 8GB will do much performance wise? Should there me any compatibility issues or problematic setups or could I just pop them into my system without worry?

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Considering a 240gb SanDisk SSD at £47.99. 120gb is probably all I'll need for a while, but the former's better value, however I'm less comfortable with dropping that amount of cash at the moment. 120gb is £35.95 for a Kingston SSD.

I keep asking myself: Are faster load times worth that much to me?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
kajinking said:
I'm looking into getting some upgrades for my system (Still at a loss over witch version of the GTX 970 to get) and I'm curious about those RAM cards.

Anyone know if upgrading from 6 GB to 8GB will do much performance wise? Should there me any compatibility issues or problematic setups or could I just pop them into my system without worry?
unless you are playing games that require massive amount of rams or use mods that store a lot of information in ram (this is sometimes prevalent in some strategy games), there probably wont be much performance increase. that is, unless your the type of fella that likes to keep ram-wasting programs like Chrome running in the background while you game.

as far as compatibility goes, whichever setup you go with they should still work and your mobo should handle incompatibility, however this may result in decreased performance forcing all sticks down to the slowest stick. Two things to consider: if possible, purchase ram that is same frequency as the one you have unless you plan to remove the old one. a faster one will not run faster anyway since mobo will limit it to that slowest frequency. second thing is preferably buy in pairs and plug them in in such a way that you could run them in dual-channel (how to plug it in correctly differentiates based on motherboard you have, it should be clearly marked on the mobo though). This can improve performance of around 15%. if your mobo is the "mini" setup and only holds 2 sticks total, they are going to be in dual mode. Note that if you use different sticks, dual mode will be disabled as it has to be identical sticks for it to work.

[edit] Im also assuming we are talking DDR3 only here. Different DDR versions are not compatible with eachother and will not work. Usually a motherboard only supports one type of DDR (havent seen multiple ram types support since the 90s actually) so get the same type you currently have in.[/edit]

If your looking into performance upgrade and dont have a SSD yet, consider that as your option instead. while it will not increase your FPS, it will remove all problems with HDD lagging behind and make loading screens a non-issue.

Headsprouter said:
i dont know how it is for you, but ive been using an SSD for 3 months now and the answer for me turned out to be yes, it was worth it. Also if your looking for the 240gb variant, may i suggest Samsung EVO series? they made some nice technical advancements that currently put them ahead of both SanDisk and Kingston.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Strazdas said:
Headsprouter said:
i dont know how it is for you, but ive been using an SSD for 3 months now and the answer for me turned out to be yes, it was worth it. Also if your looking for the 240gb variant, may i suggest Samsung EVO series? they made some nice technical advancements that currently put them ahead of both SanDisk and Kingston.
Thanks for the suggestion, but if I make an SSD purchase it'll be one of the cheaper 240gb ones (SanDisk in this case). My preferred price range is what's making me hesitate in the first place. I'd fork out more for space than speed when it comes to SSDs. Is that weird? It's lovely compared to a regular hard drive at any rate.

In fact, I got it [http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ultra-Sata-2-5-inch-Internal/dp/B00M8ABEIM/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1448582112&sr=8-10&keywords=240+gb+ssd].

I haven't made a hardware-related purchase in ages. I'm excited. :D

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Headsprouter said:
Strazdas said:
Headsprouter said:
Thanks for the suggestion, but if I make an SSD purchase it'll be one of the cheaper 240gb ones (SanDisk in this case). My preferred price range is what's making me hesitate in the first place. I'd fork out more for space than speed when it comes to SSDs. Is that weird? It's lovely compared to a regular hard drive at any rate.

In fact, I got it [http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ultra-Sata-2-5-inch-Internal/dp/B00M8ABEIM/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1448582112&sr=8-10&keywords=240+gb+ssd].

I haven't made a hardware-related purchase in ages. I'm excited. :D
well good luck with your SSD then. Sandisk is by no means a bad choice, but when i said technical advancements i didnt meant speed (that has pretty much hit the limits of SATA3 at the moment and the differences are negligible). I meant in this case specifically the 3D-Nand technology that should make them more reliable and extend its lifetime (synthetic long term tests show up to 48% improvement in longevity). But that does not by no means mean that the SanDisk option is a bad one.

And yes, i definatelly know that feeling of space over speed but that kinda goes contrary to the whole concept of buying and SSD now :p. i should really buy a new HDD, 3TB is not enough!

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Strazdas said:
well good luck with your SSD then. Sandisk is by no means a bad choice, but when i said technical advancements i didnt meant speed (that has pretty much hit the limits of SATA3 at the moment and the differences are negligible). I meant in this case specifically the 3D-Nand technology that should make them more reliable and extend its lifetime (synthetic long term tests show up to 48% improvement in longevity). But that does not by no means mean that the SanDisk option is a bad one.

And yes, i definatelly know that feeling of space over speed but that kinda goes contrary to the whole concept of buying and SSD now :p. i should really buy a new HDD, 3TB is not enough!
Well, my thinking you meant speed is on account of my lack of PC smarts. Damn! I thought I had it concealed!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The dark souls 2 Scholar of First sin appears to not show any deal when i click on the link. Just a $45 price tag. I am disappoint. Oh hang on, only the xbone has the full discount. Damnit!