Black Isle Studios Launches "PV13" Fundraising Campaign

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Absolutely fucking disgusting.

Though I bet the folks at Obsidian and inXile are having a good laugh about it.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Know what made Black Isle great? The people who worked there. Now they work elsewhere, and I've already supported their Kickstarters (which, by-the-by, actually had, you know, games associated with them).

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The money raised will go toward the development of a "proof of concept" prototype
"We got nothing except rights to a famous name and a logo so give us money and maybe we'll come up with something."

The amount of contempt I feel for these people cannot be expressed without using some words that are probably bannable...

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
lRookiel said:
Oh my god. Black isle are back!?!

They are by far some of the finest developers in existence. This can only mean good things will happen :3
Black Isle never left, they just shed their old skin and became Obsidian. Interplay has simply hired someone to wear the old skin and claim that they're Black Isle.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Fuck Interplay for laying off the real Black Isle who were in beta for Project Von Buren (the original Fallout 3) and greenlighting this:

Fuck them for holding onto the rights to a Fallout MMO for years and just wanking off with the intellectual property.

Penny Arcade strip from goddamn 2004

Fuck them, NOW, for having the AUDACITY to resurrect the name Black Isle to call a beloved studio of dev's they fired (who went on to Obsidian and Troika games, respectively) and use that to beg for money.

Interplay, the corporation (not it's actual personnel), should be dragged into the street and raped to death by raiders and supermutants.

-------
-------

Now, with that unequivocal bile out of the way... Chris Taylor and Mark O' Green are great talents and I don't begrudge their choice to be involved, I wish them all the best luck, but I am worried how interplay (and fans) will treat them - same goes for other poor bastard talent asked to stand in as "Black Isle".

Also, the video is dumb. >:p *blows rasberries*

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Edit: I think I just lost some interest after reading a few comments here.

Fell

Apr 10, 2012
This is like someone giving a dog the same name like my old dog and tries to convince me it is the same dog.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Just sounds like the Shaker RPG all over again. The Youtube video looks woefully amateur (it even has a grammar error in the description, for God's sake), and I really don't like the veiled sarcasm they're throwing around in their overview of the project.

Hopefully gamers will have some common sense and stay far, far away from this.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Black Isle, (the name) a company you respect and love. Check.
A RPG/Strategy Post Apocalypse game. Check.
Clear desire of spokespeople to create a good game. Check.

Actual substance to promises. No check.

Eh, good enough for marketing. Who needs smart money when dumb money is printed with the same ink on the same bills?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
A Kickstarter for a post-apocalyptic role-playing game? Backed up by some of the names that helped establish the genre, and bring it to the forefront of the public's mind? I've definitely got some money in that!

...in the form of Wasteland 2.

This, by contrast, is the shredded remains of Interplay, long after virtually everyone of note has long since abandoned ship, desecrating the corpse of Black Isle Studios in an attempt to raise some capital. The only Kickstarter I'd be less interested in would involve Tim Langdell trying to resurrect Edge in order to finance his legal fund.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
lRookiel said:
NOOOOOOOO! Now I'm sad :(
If you never had, go dig up Arcanum or Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines from Troika. That, inXile and Obsidian are as close to Black Isle as you're going to see.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Fuck off. You aren't Black Isle. You are a shell of what Black Isle was. I'm glad people with talent left that sinking ship and went to other places. Obsidian and inXile for example.

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
From their facebook:
-- Update #2 -- Why you shouldn?t donate.

Something you should think about before donating or telling your friends to donate. You might be the cause of a small number of people sitting in their cramped, dark f****** shelter depressed because they?re not sitting in their cramped, dark f****** for real because the world didn?t really end.

Got that? Some people won?t be happy you?re helping.

So, if you have no compassion for those apocaleptics who want it all to come down around our ears (but not theirs), then you probably shouldn?t put in a contribution. But if those people, sitting in their ivory dungeons, annoy the hell out of you with their barrels of water, stacks of freeze dried, and smug attitudes, then maybe you should just empty the bank account on this project. Just to spite them.

Create some apoplectic apocaleptics. (Yeah, try saying it out loud.)
Wow. Just wow.
These guys are real class.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
So, after violating their contract, which caused V13 to get shut down in the first place, they are now begging people to help them fund a game that they failed to make the first time around because of their own incompetence?

Is anyone else slightly offended? Ohh wait....... the comments say yes!

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
i cant count how many times this article made me say wtf?! as if they have the balls to call their "post apocalyptic rpg" pv13.

for anyone who doesn't know, pv13 was what they were calling the unfinished fallout mmo that died because it was still being made when bethesda acquired the ip. this story has sketchy written all over it if you ask me.

but then again maybe the title just shook me up because i had no idea black isle was "revived" and i've always wanted a multiplayer fallout,

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
The best part of this whole thing are the FB comments on their page. One guy (who actually works as a software engineer with EA) railed on them:

"In what universe do you go to an investor and ask them to invest without any tangible product or return on investment? This is quite possibly the most ludicrous thing I have ever seen. If you want to get an investment, come with a product I will receive. You are not a non-profit, a place of worship, or other well wishing organization that I can trust will take my money and put it to some good and give me a tax break on top of it all. This is despicable. Get a job."

"They are using a fundraising site instead of Kickstarter because there is no promise of a tangible product or return on investment. They are asking for an investment. What they are giving in return is tantamount to a progress newsletter."
Quoted for great justice!