Black man Wearing apparel of possible political messaging with no known connection to his actions as of yet, kills 3 human beings

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
We do.
That's why the headlines are "Cop kills unarmed black man"
Not "Man kills unarmed black man"

The uniform is implied by "cop".
And when they're out of uniform they're referred to as "plainclothes" or "undercover".

Whether or not you're supposed to be "scared and angry" or whether you see it as an unfortunate consequence of granting authority to people to commit violence, is up to you.
I genuinely don't think we do, or at least we didn't until very recently. I believe that when the headline would read something akin to "Police officer shoots man" the police would automatically be given the benefit of the doubt, that we would inherently assume a reasonable explanation. I'm not really arguing as to whether or not that is reasonable, I'm merely remarking on the contradiction of how we react when reading such headlines.
What if the headline instead read "Pizzaboy shoots man", or what about "teacher shoots man". Of course there is the possible consequence of police perhaps having to kill in their profession, but the proposed headlines aren't actually mentioning any such thing.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
You're supposed to expect that someone in a uniform will, at one point, kill somebody. That's why a gun comes with the uniform and the authority to use violence.
And the next thing supposed to be expected is that when someone in an uniform kills somebody, it is always justified?

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I genuinely don't think we do, or at least we didn't until very recently. I believe that when the headline would read something akin to "Police officer shoots man" the police would automatically be given the benefit of the doubt, that we would inherently assume a reasonable explanation.
It's a fair assumption to make, given the 375 million police interactions with civilians per year and the actual number of police shootings in that time frame, which hovers around the 1,000 mark, IIRC.

Really depends on if you believe the plethora of statistics compiled over the years, but among those, about 30+ are unarmed. Still way, way too many.

Yet you're far, far, far more likely to run into the Jekyll and Hyde cops (the nice dudes just doing a job and the vindictive power hungry pricks) than you are to run into a trigger happy one. Generally speaking, if a gun is even out, something has gone very wrong already.

Cops are supposed to be the "good guys." That's probably why we're all so (justifiably) incensed when they do bad things.

So, yeah, I do think it's a fair assumption that the officer involved shooting was justified, whereas "guy in B shirt" or "guy in T hat" doesn't get the same presumption of necessary action. That doesn't mean you don't investigate it and nail them to the wall if they screwed up.

But, hey, I have police in my family and friend circles, so it stands to reason that I'm just biased. Also might explain why I'm less inclined toward this ACAB shit.

...oh right. Thread.

Any updates on the story?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
...oh right. Thread.

Any updates on the story?

News on the shirt:

Rhynes, who has no violent criminal history prior to Friday's shootings, was wearing a shirt that said "#Freedom," Burbrink said Monday, and included an image of the faces of Muhammad Ali and Colin Kaepernick. The detective said Breonna Taylor, the 26-year-old Black woman shot and killed by LMPD officers this year in a case that has sparked more than 100 days of protests in the city, was not referenced on the shirt.
Also, one of the victims, Hudson, was black.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
#freedom is cancelled
Houseman is a man of #factsandlogic, I'm sure he will correct his intentionally inflammatory best-to-his-knowledge thread title with all seemly haste, with the greatest respect for all those affected by this tragedy, now that official reports are emerging.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Yeah, this is what I mean about waiting before jumping the gun.

However, the choice of attire as well as the lack of a criminal history is actually quite concerning. Could be a case of radicalization.

Or just some nut.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Does this mean you'll change the thread title?
Sure. What would you rather have:
"...Wearing a "#Freedom shirt"...
"...Wearing a "Muhammad Ali and Colin Kaepernick" shirt...
"...Wearing a shirt with black civil rights activists on it...

And I can say "2 white people", if you'd like.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA

All of them.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas

I would like:
"Wearing apparel of possible political messaging with no known connection to his actions as of yet"
And
"3 human beings"

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells

Changing it to "2 white people" without any mention of the black one? At that point why is it not just 3 people anyways

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Changing it to "2 white people" without any mention of the black one? At that point why is it not just 3 people anyways
Either way would work. I like the hypocrisy inherent in "wearing a shirt featuring civil rights activists kills 2 white people and 1 black person". Not only is murder against civil rights, murder of black people is doubly so.

I would like:
"Wearing apparel of possible political messaging with no known connection to his actions as of yet"
And
"3 human beings"
Done.

Reactions: SupahEwok

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
That's probably one of the most neutral titles in this section.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
BUT WAIT!
Cops lie all the time, right? If we can't trust them to accurately tell us whether or not they feared for their life or whether or not their investigations turned up evidence of wrongdoing, or if we can't trust them to accurately tell us how many black men they killed, why do we trust them to tell us about the print on a t-shirt?

Do we have any actual confirmation that this happened, or is it just cops?

Because cops lie. They lie a lot.
- Terminal Blue

Officers have lied too much before with evidence to back up that they were lying for me to take anything they say without proof any more.
- Obsidian

How quick we are to change our tune when we hear something that benefits our "team", huh?

Last edited: