Black March: Could You Pull It Off? Would you Want To?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Provided that my Mass Effect 3 N7 Collector's Edition pre-order doesn't count against it then yeah. But to be fair:
1. I can't think of anything in March (besides ME3) that I particularly want
and
2. Even if I could think of something, I wouldn't have the money for it (due to the aforementioned ME3 purchase)

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Fieldy409 said:
I just dont see it as being realistic. The media will never let this get the coverage it would need to work. Just a few hardcore internet users will see it...
If everyone on this site posted it on their facebook it would spread like wildfire. Facebook and youtube could reach just about everyone if it was done right. But people are ultimately too selfish and short-sighted to give up the joy now for potential gains later.

I won't be doing it, such action wouldn't really hurt the companies because they would see their profits the next quarter be above average by almost as much as they lost this quarter. In fact, it might just make them more profit nuts and encourage them to lobby harder for anti-piracy law.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Sexy Devil said:
I'm not participating. My birthday is in March and I'm not giving that up for a protest which isn't going to work.

Esotera said:
I wouldn't have bought anything anyway as I'm skint, but all this will accomplish is a gigantic hike in prices come April 1st, if that.
I sincerely doubt it. When there's more supply than demand the prices generally tend to drop; that's the very first thing you learn in an economics class. That said the media has time and time again proven how dumb they are so they may actually raise prices.
Yes, but the protest ends on april first, meaning the demand in early april would be much higher because everyone would want to buy all the things they didn't buy between now and then.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
If it happens, it happens.

There isn't really anything off the top of my head that I want to buy in March, but that could change.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
Mass Effect 3, sorry.
An indictment of the problem inherent to any attempt at gamers organising.

Anyway, this would be a pretty empty gesture. It's like that whole "stop buying gas on X day...Gas up before or after!"

We'd need more than a month, across entertainment industries, to really see an impact. and people would actually need to refrain from piracy, or they'd blame it. Hell, they'd blame it anyway. That's one of the reasons the entertainment industry doesn't react the same way. Bad sales on a product they had high hopes for? Piracy. Didn't meet projections? Piracy. A CEO got caught with a dead hooker? Piracy.

I could do it. It's not hard to have a little impulse control.

I just don't see the damn point.

Feb 9, 2011
I'll probably do it without realizing. I just got a new job, so still paying off moving debt. I doubt I will buy anything entertaining in March.

superstringz

Jul 6, 2010
There is plenty of SOPA-hostile media (webcomics, indie games/films, anything GNU, most machinima) out there for me to enjoy. I've been living this kind of lifestyle for so long now I need to do exactly nothing different to be Black March compliant.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Considering I pre-ordered Mass Effect 3 last year, I don't think that counts. But other than that, I'm game.

Edit: wait, does Netflix count? Also, why are books being nixed by Black March as well?

0.o Toombs be confizzled.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
I would do it but there's really no point, theres still millions out there who won't see this message, won't care about it or are just so addicted to spending money they can't do it..

This won't send them a message, if we're going to hit them where it hurts we need to take hurts literally and start bombing places.. cus' everyone will think we're the good guys then

More seriously, what we should try to do is get Fox and the social conservatives in government to try and ban all violence, foul language or adult themes in games and watch the massive publishers squerm as their core games get banned and they collapse..

Then we can offer them OUR ultimatum to them and stop them being dicks about SOPA/etc.. I'm not sure how we'll lift the ban on violent games but I'm sure we can bend the 2nd Amendment to suggest we have the right to bear arms in the digital sense as well as real life..