Black Mesa Website Starts Mysterious Countdown

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Black Mesa Website Starts Mysterious Countdown

The counter is counting down to 05/05/15 10:47:00 GMT+0.

Fans of the "Half-Life 1-in-Half-Life 2" fan modification mysterious timer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/black%20mesa?os=black+mesa] which is counting down to 05/05/15 10:47:00 GMT+0.

The most likely explanation for the countdown is that the promised serious makeover [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129804-Black-Mesa-Mod-Goes-Retail-For-Steam] since the free version first released back in 2012.

Unfortunately for fans waiting to play Xen, the final chapter of Half-Life that was absent from the initial release of Black Mesa: Source, the developers have stated [http://forums.blackmesasource.com/index.php/Thread/19095-Free-vs-Steam-version/?postID=591591#post591591] that it also won't be included in the initial release of the retail version, and will instead be added at a later date. What it will have, however, is a brand-new multiplayer. Yes, you heard right, Half-Life deathmatch is coming back!

So while the Black Mesa team has not confirmed what the countdown means, the retail release of the mod is our best bet. Of course, they could surprise us by releasing Xen for free the mod first...

Source: Black Mesa Source [http://www.bmrf.us/?]

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
albino boo said:
senordesol said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Is that a three I see in the picture?
03:2014

HL3 in 2014 confirmed!

...wait.
No its HL3 in 32014
It's very clearly not 32014 - the year starts with 20 and ends in 13. And there is G-man's eye between these two - the letter I is pronounced the same as eye, also in many fonts I and 1 are really hard to distinguish. Therefore, the year is 20114.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
The modders are from an alternate dimension, and are actually teasing "Half-Life 2-in-the-Half-Life 3 engine" (i.e. Source 3).
Sorry to spoil that, but I'm from another alternate dimension which is just like yours but four days in the future. :p

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
At a guess I'd say they're remaking Half Life 2 Episodes 1&2 as well.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Hopefully that's the long-awaited "Fun"-Patch, because the fun was kind of missing so far from the gameplay in the mod.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Should I start prepping my nuclear bunker? Those people wouldn't listen! Paranoid, they said! Off the rails nuts, they said! Smelly, they said! Well who's laughing now? Ahahahahaha!

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Doesn't surprise me too much. Xen was never exactly a highlight of Half-Life. I doubt they actually want to dev that part at all.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
and to think i first was reading about this mod in 2003 pc format magazine. And its now 2015 and its not fully complete.........

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I hope they fix the jumping sections. I never had too much trouble with them in the original Half-Life (strangely enough, apparently this was a massive problem for others *shrug*) but for some reason I found them incredibly annoying and occasionally frustrating in the remake. Though it didn't stop me from finishing the mod up to where they completed it.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So Valve shot the dog with their modding fiasco, so they have to make it seem like they still care about the fans. Re-release Half Life. That'll shut those entitled basement dwellers up!

Bravo, Valve. You're almost as bad as EA

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Immediately I assumed the countdown was for the arrival of the final chapter of Black Mesa, but once again my hopes were dashed.

I know it's not the most popular part of the game, but that team could potentially do some really interesting stuff with that. For example, they could probably make the final boss not suck.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Silentpony said:
So Valve shot the dog with their modding fiasco, so they have to make it seem like they still care about the fans. Re-release Half Life. That'll shut those entitled basement dwellers up!

Bravo, Valve. You're almost as bad as EA
Would be true - if Valve would be in any form related to this. They aren't. Like... they aren't involved at all.