Black Ops 2 Trailer Introduces the Bad Guy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
Black Ops 2 Trailer Introduces the Bad Guy

Who is this Raul Menendez guy and why does he want to blow up the planet?

I have no idea what's going on in this Black Ops 2 "Villain Trailer." I've never played any of the Call of Duty games (well, not since 2003) and even if I had, the partly-near-future Black Ops 2 seems so far removed from the previous game that such experience wouldn't serve me particularly well anyway. Part of my confusion stems from the fact that I can't quite make out what Captain Candyman is saying in the middle part of the trailer, because he apparently doesn't realize that his raspy whisper is being drowned out by the increasingly loud background music.

Fortunately, we have Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Ops_2] and according to that, Menendez is a bad dude who's trying to incite a full-on shooting war between the U.S. and China, who have settled into a high-tech Cold War-style conflict. He's also apparently the "messiah for the 99 percent," which I assume means the tiny fraction of the population who are disaffected enough by globalization, the wealth gap and whatever else fires their jets to actually go out and "do something" about it, rather than the vast majority of people who don't actually want to see the planet turned into a cinder.

The whole thing has a vague Command & Conquer ring to it, in fact, with Raul replacing Kane as a charismatic psychopath determined to lead his followers to a new world order. Command & Conquer: Renegade 2 isn't the worst idea ever, although I don't actually think that's what we're in for here; Call of Duty takes itself way too seriously for that. On the other hand, the "Nuketown 2025" preorder bonus looks like it was lifted straight out of Fallout 3, which takes me right back to where I started: I have no idea what's going on here.

David S. Goyer [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-II-Pc/dp/B007XVTR12/ref=sr_tr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341946325&sr=8-1&keywords=Call+of+Duty+Black+Ops+2], who co-wrote Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises (along with Puppet Master vs. Demonic Toys and Kickboxer 2, so take from that what you will) and comes out on November 13 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U and Windows.


Permalink
 

yuval152

New member
Jul 6, 2011
1,450
0
0
"Brilliant visuals" lololol

OT:same generic storyline in a different settings.But atleast they can pull of a trailer.
 

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
9,612
0
0
Who's the voice actor for the black guy? Sounds really familiar.
 

newdarkcloud

New member
Aug 2, 2010
452
0
0
Wow. After hearing about how you intended to have choice and consequence in Black Ops 2, I was excited to borrow this game from my friend.

But now you just pissed away any good will I might have had.
 

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
6,651
0
0
SacremPyrobolum said:
Say what you will about COD but they certainly know how to pull off a trailer.
Definitely. They have the best trailers, and the most generic gameplay. But since it's set in the near future, and I like near future, I am going to follow this one for now. Last CoD game I bought was MW2. And I regretted it.
 

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
2,419
0
0
Let's hope that money they spent on screen writers and score pays off. Black Ops had an interesting, but somewhat incoherent and yet simultaneously predictable storyline (seriously? You're going to send the guy who you just deprogrammed from brainwashing out for a mission?)
 

getoffmycloud

New member
Jun 13, 2011
440
0
0
hazabaza1 said:
Who's the voice actor for the black guy? Sounds really familiar.
I think it is the guy who played the head of special forces team in die hard 2 cause the character looks like him.
 

getoffmycloud

New member
Jun 13, 2011
440
0
0
Adam Jensen said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
Say what you will about COD but they certainly know how to pull off a trailer.
Definitely. They have the best trailers, and the most generic gameplay. But since it's set in the near future, and I like near future, I am going to follow this one for now. Last CoD game I bought was MW2. And I regretted it.
MW2 and 3 were basically near future already the technology used in those games is just modern day prototype stuff that won't be use until about 2020 so this near future stuff will make no difference.
 

Black Arrow Officer

New member
Jun 20, 2011
676
0
0
The Gentleman said:
Let's hope that money they spent on screen writers and score pays off. Black Ops had an interesting, but somewhat incoherent and yet simultaneously predictable storyline (seriously? You're going to send the guy who you just deprogrammed from brainwashing out for a mission?)
U.S government is trying to get Mason, Weaver, and Hudson killed.

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Operation_Charybdis
 

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
4,286
0
0
Black Arrow Officer said:
The Gentleman said:
Let's hope that money they spent on screen writers and score pays off. Black Ops had an interesting, but somewhat incoherent and yet simultaneously predictable storyline (seriously? You're going to send the guy who you just deprogrammed from brainwashing out for a mission?)
U.S government is trying to get Mason, Weaver, and Hudson killed.

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Operation_Charybdis
Not only that, but in some cross-universe cameos we get to play as Soap being nervous about asking the popular girl to the school dance, and can save Captain Price money on his car insurance! Although they may cut those bits out, as they don't really go with the theme of the rest of the game.
 

Metalrocks

New member
Jan 15, 2009
2,406
0
0
the trailer is sure amazing but if it can really deliver, thats the other question. already regretted MW3 with all these noobs fagkimo players.
enjoy BF3 more, even when ?A is basically forcing everyone to buy "premium".
 

JokerboyJordan

New member
Sep 6, 2009
1,034
0
0
Andy Chalk said:
He's also apparently the "messiah for the 99 percent," which I assume means the tiny fraction of the population who are disaffected enough by globalization, the wealth gap and whatever else fires their jets to actually go out and "do something" about it, rather than the vast majority of people who don't actually want to see the planet turned into a cinder.
I'm assuming you mean "messiah for the 1 percent", as you go on to talk about the tiny fraction rather than the majority. Unless I understood the phrase wrong.
 

ThePS1Fan

New member
Dec 22, 2011
635
0
0
Ha, like YouTube would keep the same layout for that long!

OT: A good trailer, I'll have to keep my eye on this.