Black Ops 2 Zombies Will Infest an Entire City

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Black Ops 2 Zombies Will Infest an Entire City

The popular Call of Duty zombies mode just got a whole lot bigger.

When Treyarch first added the Zombies multiplayer mode to Call of Duty: World at War, it wasn't meant as anything more then a casual timewaster. Instead, Zombies quickly became one of the most talked about features for World at War and Treyarch's follow-up Black Ops, to the point that fans even hoped <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98603-Infinity-Ward-Says-No-to-Zombies>it would be included in the Modern Warfare games. With the gameplay mode finally returning for Black Ops 2, it's become abundantly clear that while Treyarch's main focus is still on <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/9630-E3-Go-Undercover-Again-in-Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-2>its futuristic Cold War campaign, the zombies will get more attention than previous outings with three whole gameplay modes and a massive open world.

The main focus of zombies will be on Tranzit mode, which features a single enormous city map that up to four players can traverse via a still-functioning bus system or by picking a direction and walking. The city and transportation options not only provide a variety of locations and defensive options, but also items that can be collected to craft weapons or tools. "Because it's open and because there are multiple locations in this world where you can play and where the infestation is, there's different strategies about how you can approach it," Treyarch's Mark Lamia explained. "It's a much bigger world with much more going on."

Of the other two modes, Survival is the closest to traditional Zombies gameplay, with maps that fix the players in specific locations in the Tranzit world. The final mode, Grief, deposits not one but two human teams into the map, each with the goal of outlasting their opponents. Players will not be able to kill each other outright in Grief mode, but they can use the environment to trap the enemy team with the zombie horde.

In terms of visual style, Black Ops 2 Zombies borrows heavily from Left 4 Dead with characters reminiscent of Zoey and Louis as well as the large-scale zombie hordes of the game itself. This isn't a bad thing; Zombies mode has always been a tongue-in-cheek parody of gaming and pop culture tropes, so taking a shot at one of the most successful zombie games of all time actually makes a lot of sense. Besides, mixing up the zombies formula with huge worlds and new gameplay could make the inevitable DLC packs incredibly entertaining. The last Black Ops expansion put zombies on the moon. If huge worlds are a possibility, who knows where else Treyarch could place them?

Source: Joystiq

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Seriously Treyarch should stop making a cod game and just make a huge zombie game. It really is the only reason I am considering buying BO2

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
I do not like the Call of Duty franchise anymore but this is looking to be the reason I buy Black Ops 2.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
GOD DAMMIT! Just when I think I'm done with Call of Duty for ever and after something catches my interest!

If my friends buy Blops 2 I'm totally buying it too (we all love zombie mode in CoD games).

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Why do their eyes glow blue? Why are they on top of the diner sliding down the roof? ( 0:50 ) Why are we celebrating the slaughter of unarmed masses at the hands of a few?

( also : what happened to my capacity to enjoy games? when did this giant stick get up my ... ? am I possibly not the target demographic? )

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Elijah Newton said:
Why do their eyes glow blue? Why are they on top of the diner sliding down the roof? ( 0:50 ) Why are we celebrating the slaughter of unarmed masses at the hands of a few?

( also : what happened to my capacity to enjoy games? when did this giant stick get up my ... ? am I possibly not the target demographic? )
I believe because Ze Doctor still has control of them from the end of Moon.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
It ceases to be a cute parody of another popular title when you just so happen to be a CORPORATE JUGGERNAUT, shipping millions of units... It's cute when a puppy nips at your heels. It's an attack when a full-grown junkyard guard dog is taking chunks out of your face and neck. Guess which one Treyarch resembles right now.

Craft weapons and tools <--- that part annoys me the most. It's like they're digging around finding new zombie-related games to "borrow heavily" from.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
PrototypeC said:
It ceases to be a cute parody of another popular title when you just so happen to be a CORPORATE JUGGERNAUT, shipping millions of units... It's cute when a puppy nips at your heels. It's an attack when a full-grown junkyard guard dog is taking chunks out of your face and neck. Guess which one Treyarch resembles right now.

Craft weapons and tools <--- that part annoys me the most. It's like they're digging around finding new zombie-related games to "borrow heavily" from.
Yes, because crafting weapons and tools has ONLY been in zombie games. Nope, never been in any other genres... Bet RPGs don't even have it, they should copy zombie games!

/sarcasm.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
What's the betting Blops 3 will just be a reskin of Resident Evil 6?
That... doesn't make any sense.

OT: As long as they don't have that dumbass "2 hits and you're dead" rule I'll be happily. Seriously Treyarch 4 hits to death is a good number go back to that.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Dev 1:"Hey guys, I don't know how we did it, but zombies appear to be popular in WaW!"
Dev 2:"OMG, PORT TO BLACK OPS"
Dev 1:"Hey look, it's somehow doing well again despite the fact that we didn't put any effort into it!"
Dev 2:"Okay, this is going to blow your mind...but...okay, imagine this...Zombies...IN A CITY."
Dev 1: *head explodes*

I will never understand how someone can enjoy playing Black Ops zombies. WaW was okay, because it did seem new-ish. But in Black Ops...really? I just don't understand how that garbage is popular.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
So, not satisfied with making a clone of COD's clone of their previous clone of COD's clone etc ad nausium, they are now cloning Left For Dead as the same time?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Treyarch seem to actually be putting some real effort into Black Ops 2, to make it a bigger, enhanced experience that still works from the core principles of the previous game. Yeah, this could be a COD game that is innovative enough to justify the full price game tag despite only being 12 months since the last COD game.

It'll be interesting to see how much innovation Modern Warfare 4 gets, cause they changed crap all with 3.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
DVS BSTrD said:
What's the betting Blops 3 will just be a reskin of Resident Evil 6?
Not high, as...ya know. Blops 3 will actually be good.

OT: Seems cool but...eeeeeeeeeeeh, CoD's worn off on me now. :p

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
YES! My friends and I, ever since Moon came out and we completed the story line, have been saying that they need to make a zombie game with Left 4 Dead's gameplay, but the story and characters from Nazi zombies. Wish granted. I still enjoy the campaigns in the Call of Duty games and usually try to complete that first, but I do believe that this may be the first time where the campaign isn't the very first thing I try out. So excited for this. Can't wait to see how they get the original characters to show up. Because they will. Smiles all around.

Ooooh, captcha: On cloud nine. You're exactly right!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Elijah Newton said:

I can't answer any of your other questions, but their eyes are blue because of what happens in the Moon Easter Egg. Short version: Richtofen is now controlling the zombies, not the original person who made their eyes orange-red.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
This sounds pretty cool - I've always enjoyed the co-op modes more than about anything in these games and this sounds like they're starting to put even more emphasis on co-op (grief mode aside).

I still don't get the venom directed towards this stuff. The argument seems to be that this sort of game somehow keeps anything else from being successful? Or that too many other games copy the play style and stagnant the entire industry?

*shrug* I just don't get it.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
GAunderrated said:
Seriously Treyarch should stop making a cod game and just make a huge zombie game. It really is the only reason I am considering buying BO2
same here. though i am certainly not going to pay full price. ima wait a good while then get a used copy, unless there is some kind of online pass thing (which is totally unfair for a game that absolutely depends upon the multi-player experiences as its primary draw, and continued income (in the form of map packs (and yeah i just did a three level parentheses. wachu gon' do 'bout it?)))

captcha: tastes like chicken.

why do i feel like this is totally a thing zombies say?