Black Ops II Shows Off Mobster Zombies DLC Trailer

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Black Ops II Shows Off Mobster Zombies DLC Trailer

Welcome to Evil Island, home of the stars.

Evil Island doesn't sound like the best place to spend your incarceration; not that Ray Liotta (Goodfellas), Michael Madsen (Reservoir Dogs), Chazz Palminteri (The Usual Suspects), and Joe Pantoliano (The Sopranos) had much of a choice. That's pretty high-octane talent for a DLC release, but by the look of things the Black Ops II folks are hoping to turn up the heat with Mob of the Dead [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123085-Next-Black-Ops-II-DLC-Rising-Up-on-Xbox-Live-April-16].

The four hapless mobsters have to fend off hordes of zombies and, judging by that plane, eventually escape the hellhole Alcatraz has turned into. Time travel may or may not be involved; the press release describes the heroes as "Prohibition-era" gangsters, but unless someone invented the Uzi a little earlier than I thought, I call shenanigans. Each of the characters has a "unique set of skills", the press release promises, but as to what those skills might be, you'll have to wait, as the trailer doesn't give much away. Maybe money laundering will be a useful skill in the event of a complete breakdown in society caused by rampaging undead.

Want to give this one a go? April 16th is the due date, at about $15 more or less. There will be a period of Xbox 360 exclusivity, mind you, so you've probably got about a month after that to wait, if you don't play Black Ops II on Microsoft's favorite console.

Source: Rock Paper Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/12/its-no-blood-dragon-but-blops-2-adds-mobster-zombies/#more-149283]

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I. Can't. WAIT.

I love Zombies and this thus far looks to be the greatest map of the lot.

While the inital on-disc zombie map was just "okay," the second one, Die Rise was awesome, and this looks to be even better.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Gangsters and zombies? Take two over-used things and stick them together? Though, fair enough for a DLC, not the whole point of the game, I guess.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
thaluikhain said:
Gangsters and zombies? Take two over-used things and stick them together? Though, fair enough for a DLC, not the whole point of the game, I guess.
It's 20s and 30s mobsters, not present-day gangsters. Different thing.
And not having Zombies in a Zombiemode would be rather weird, too, don't you agree?

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
So it's L4D with cool powerups and a killer soundtrack? When a company manages to make me want to buy a game just for the DLC... Well, they've gone and done something REALLY right.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Bindal said:
Even so.

Bindal said:
And not having Zombies in a Zombiemode would be rather weird, too, don't you agree?
Well...actually, it'd be a great idea. I mean, the problem with so many zombie movies is that they are zombie movies. The audience knows exactly what rules the zombies work by, because most of the time they are exactly the same. Half the movie is about characters wondering why people are going round randomly biting others, who go round randomly biting others, and why shooting them in the heart doesn't work.

IMHO, the problem with zombies is that most of the time people shouldn't know they are zombies. They should be weird and unusual and something to adapt to, not the same old.

Now, having a zombiemode without zombies is a weird way to do it, but it'd be much, much more original than most zombie related stuff.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
VanQ said:
So it's L4D with cool powerups and a killer soundtrack? When a company manages to make me want to buy a game just for the DLC... Well, they've gone and done something REALLY right.
Yes, it is. Just like WaW Zombies and BO1 Zombies were.
Except unlike L4D, you don't have an actual ending. You just keep playing until everyone is dead (there are some Easter Eggs that continue the Story - yes, the whole thing has even a continues Story! - which start appearing around "Ascention" (first BO1 DLC) and give you an achievement from Call of the Dead (second BO1 DLC).

They do come up with really neat stuff. Like having George Romero as a unique boss Zombie, sending you through time or on the Moon, giving you sniper rifles that shoot exploding bolts, cola that gives you perks when you drink it ('Reach for Juggernog toniiiiight...')
thaluikhain said:
Bindal said:
Even so.
Uhm, no? Different thing is different thing. And the classic 20s gentlemen gangsters with Tommy Guns are NEVER done anywhere, really. With the exception of the not-so-great-but-decent Omerta, when was the last time you was able to play as a gangster in the 1920s or 1930s? or when did they appear the last two or three times?

thaluikhain said:
Bindal said:
Well...actually, it'd be a great idea. I mean, the problem with so many zombie movies is that they are zombie movies. The audience knows exactly what rules the zombies work by, because most of the time they are exactly the same. Half the movie is about characters wondering why people are going round randomly biting others, who go round randomly biting others, and why shooting them in the heart doesn't work.

IMHO, the problem with zombies is that most of the time people shouldn't know they are zombies. They should be weird and unusual and something to adapt to, not the same old.

Now, having a zombiemode without zombies is a weird way to do it, but it'd be much, much more original than most zombie related stuff.
No, a zombiemode without zombies would be a "just walk around without anything happening"-mode (aka Slender) and THAT would be really stupid.
Not just that, but have you ever read ANYTHING about the Zombie-mode in CoD? It's not just "random guys in random location shooting Zombies for the lulz", as mentioned above the freaking thing has a STORY (one they haven't even finished yet), goes out of its way to come up with creative addional ideas like a Perk that spawns a clone of you when you die so you can pick up yourself from the ground. Or they throw in addional enemies like Hellhounds or Minions.

And yes, those people in Zombiemode KNOW what zombies are (they call them out directly A LOT), they know how to handle them (that is, if you know how to play the game) and one character is even aware that he is in a freaking videogame! (Tho he hasn't appeared since the finale in BO1 - I miss you, Tank Dempsey)

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Ray Liotta... they not only took his voice but his face too. Might watch the youtube video of gameplay just so i can hear all his lines.