Black Ops rage... welcome to the next year of your life.

Sep 14, 2009
razelas said:
MiracleOfSound said:
razelas said:
MiracleOfSound said:
razelas said:
Soldiers in real life deal with this danger (i.e. IEDs); is it too much to expect ordinary people to maybe deal with this in a fucking video game?
There you go again with that 'real life' stuff.

Real life is not fun! Games are.

You want real life, go join the army. Games are for entertainment, not to simulate real life.
There you go again with that "I think this isn't fun, therefore it's not" stuff.

Your opinion is not an objective fact.
I never said it was. If you think real-life war is fun then good for you. But most gamers don't.

Most gamers would rather run around in COD with an un-realistic sniper rifle than go out to some desert and endure seeing their friends blown apart, living in fear of death every second of every day.

And game developers are sensible if they make games that most gamers will enjoy.

Now can we please drop this? It's getting silly.
See those bolded parts? That's you trying to pass of your opinion as a consensus fact. Who exactly are these "most gamers"? Unless you can back up such statements with ANY evidence, stop using the phrase "most gamers."

Now can you please drop this? It's getting silly.
okay smart ass troll, how about you take a look here

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.243742-Poll-realism-vs-fun#8866002

there is your stupid evidence, since your new here you obviously haven't seen too much to know that realism is not a defining factor around here.

that CLEARLY states realism is not a defining factor for "most gamers" and many comments agree with that. so how about you stop being a stupid smart ass over the smallest things and actually listen to what miracle was saying, some of your comments completely took out of context what was happening and what he said so just drop the bullshit.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
For the people saying it's more realistic: Since when is it realistic for a rifle to automatically sway randomly around like crazy and a bullet not to go where the crosshair is for a second and a half every time you aim down the sights?
Rifles have a bullet spread. There are many ways to test this, and generally when a game rates a weapons "accuracy", it means how close the spread of the bullets are. Sniper rifles are known for having good bullet spread because the point of the weapon is to take down an enemy from as far as possible with as few shots as powerful, which is also why they have good range and power. Some rifles have near perfect bullet spread but a lot of high calibre rifles can have pretty mediocre bullet spreads, especially the .50 cal's.

In that case, it looks like it's that weapon swing that makes him miss all his shots (I haven't played the game yet so I won't act like I know why it's doing that), but maybe they were trying to add bullet spread to the snipers? Not all snipers have near perfect spread, so maybe they just screwed that up when trying to add it.

EvanJO

Nov 8, 2010
Also, realism does not make a good game. Think about the FPS games with the highest skillcap, games like Quake and Unreal Tournament.

How were those realistic?

Lunar Shadow

Dec 9, 2008
maturin said:
Lunar Shadow said:
Slycne said:
Ugh, there has got to be a happy middle ground for quick scoping, because that's just ridiculous.

I also find it really ironic that people are citing it as being realistic when it completely isn't. While it's true that a sniper isn't going to run around like that, the rifle doesn't magically become inaccurate if you don't look through the sights long enough.

Two solutions that I like better would be to increase the time taken to bring the rifle up to sighting it or to decrease the players speed for carrying a typically heavier weapon, like the 30 lbs Barret you see players running around with ease.
Actually most long rifles will wobble a bit if you sight while standing, especially at first because you haven't quite steadied it yet.
Every gun in the world is going to "wobble." It's called aiming.
I meant wobble as in the length of the wobble causing minor instability at the far end. To demonstrate, take a long stick that is weighted towards one end and hold it out like yout would a riffle. It wobbles a tad, but that tad causes major differences in where the bullet is going. Now say you were in a more stable stance, say crouching or laying on your stomach, you have much better control over the "wobble". It's why shooters are taught to shoot from a stable stance when using long rifles. It's also one of the reasons shorter guns are more useful in CQB situations.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
WUT! A game made as "Call of Duty: MW2: Fuck the Vets" is, gasp, BAD!

Yeah, if you can't guess, I saw this coming a mile off. Hell, even a few of the friends I had the loved MW2 knew that this was going to be shit. I understand that they were trying to do what the did with WaW, one of my all time favorite games, but the thing with the game they based that one off of, Call of Duty 4, was that it was actually good. Not MW2.

there is no spoon

Jun 20, 2008
I would like to point out that the chopper gunner isn't as bad as you think. In CODOPS you can select a stinger site as a kill-streak. That's right a portable stinger site. I'd place serious money on the fact that the stinger site brings down helicopters in no time flat. You just have to be smart about how you play.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Lunar Shadow said:
Slycne said:
Ugh, there has got to be a happy middle ground for quick scoping, because that's just ridiculous.

I also find it really ironic that people are citing it as being realistic when it completely isn't. While it's true that a sniper isn't going to run around like that, the rifle doesn't magically become inaccurate if you don't look through the sights long enough.

Two solutions that I like better would be to increase the time taken to bring the rifle up to sighting it or to decrease the players speed for carrying a typically heavier weapon, like the 30 lbs Barret you see players running around with ease.
Actually most long rifles will wobble a bit if you sight while standing, especially at first because you haven't quite steadied it yet.
And I'm saying at the ranges demonstrated, sway isn't even an issue.

Look I'm not declaring myself a sniper of any sort, but I've tested on actual military ranges as part of infantry training. For example, with a m-16 you can practically sight with just the barrel on the two closest pop-up silhouette(I believe the ranges are 25m and 50m, but it's been a while). I'm not kidding that it's almost point and shoot.

Now this is ideal range conditions, no one is shooting back, etc. But if you are talking realism, unless an actual trained sniper wants to come in and correct me, I'm fairly certain in my assessment that you can fire from the hip, quick-scope, site down the barrel or whatever other fast method at extremely close ranges with a long rifle with quite an assurance of accuracy.

That's not to say that I think CoD should strive for realism, but I was simply stating that those claiming that this is a design choice that reflects realism are probably not that familiar with firearms or at least they have had a vastly different experience than I have.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
so... anyone else getting the massive lag? i tried a few servers and they all lagged and everyone on them said they were lagging too.

anyone know if a patch is on its way?

also stop your bitching about losing quick scoping. quick scoping is the stupidest thing ever and im glad its gone.

Shrifes

Jul 4, 2008
Slycne said:

Look I'm not declaring myself a sniper of any sort, but I've tested on actual military ranges as part of infantry training. For example, with a m-16 you can practically sight with just the barrel on the two closest pop-up silhouette(I believe the ranges are 25m and 50m, but it's been a while). I'm not kidding that it's almost point and shoot.

Now this is ideal range conditions, no one is shooting back, etc. But if you are talking realism, unless an actual trained sniper wants to come in and correct me, I'm fairly certain in my assessment that you can fire from the hip, quick-scope, site down the barrel or whatever other fast method at extremely close ranges with a long rifle with quite an assurance of accuracy.

That's not to say that I think CoD should strive for realism, but I was simply stating that those claiming that this is a design choice that reflects realism are probably not that familiar with firearms or at least they have had a vastly different experience than I have.
The ability to fire from the hip or quickscope or what have you would also rely on the weapon because something that fires a .50cal round seems like firing it on the move at all would be a bad idea. But I have no idea what kind of recoil one of those would have. I've never fired a real gun in my life so I don't even have a baseline to try and imagine what the recoil would be like.

Granted for the rifles that fire lighter caliber rounds it makes sense and I even mentioned that in one of my earlier posts.

Edit: After re-reading your post and thinking back in the context of the game my post seems silly.

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
First I`m a Sniper and I love the changes to sniping.

And the other things you mentioned like the chopper or dogs can be countered by Launcers and Ghost.

Lunar Shadow

Dec 9, 2008
Slycne said:
Lunar Shadow said:
Slycne said:

Ah, I was mostly referring to things 100+ m out. While I am no sniper, my dad was and he taught me to shoot/is the source of my info.

Death on Trapezoids

Nov 19, 2009
The other stuff I more or less agree with, but please.
MiracleOfSound said:
snip
Since when is it realistic for a rifle to automatically sway randomly around like crazy and a bullet not to go where the crosshair is for a second and a half every time you aim down the sights?
snip
since when is it realistic to be able to hold the crosshairs of a sniper rifle nearly as long as you are tall perfectly steady instantly while standing freehand? And then being able to fire said rifle and reset the crosshairs on target in less than a second?

If anything, this will make sniping more realistic.

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
Actually...the sniper fix is good.

I like it.

Admittedly, the bullet should go wherever the crosshairs are at the time of firing, but that would still make quick-scoping an issue, if less of one.

'course they could instead just make the weapon sway erratically (permanently) unless you're crouched or prone, and even then make it have a bit of sway. The sniper rifle is meant to be a gun that you sit still with, find a sniper's nest, and pick off people, then move when you think you've been discovered. It is not meant to be something taken in to a combat zone, in the middle of a firefight.

So is that a fair nerf? Yes. Yes it is. To me, a decent mixture of realism and balance equals fun in an online shooter. Well, with more leaning towards balance in my opinion, that is.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Lunar Shadow said:
Ah, I was mostly referring to things 100+ m out. While I am no sniper, my dad was and he taught me to shoot/is the source of my info.
Certainly at range it's an issue, the video is demonstrating practically touching someone with the end of the barrel and still missing. It's quite literally point blank range, so I was simply a little baffled by everyone stating this as being a great realistic fix. It would be like sticking a pistol in someone's chest and the round hitting the floor, what difference does it make that one weapon is longer and has a scope on it.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Well I haven't played it yet, and I wouldn't know, but I think that the issues presented are either just the exceptions or just the result of this being the first day of play and effective counter strategies haven't been developed yet. Once you get Flat Jacket, as I understand, the only explosive you have to worry about is a direct sticky or crossbow hit, so if somebody with that is smart and becomes the team meat shield by diving into RC's, gernades, or just learning to turn around and shoot when you hear that little car driving around. Maybe a reduction in it's explosive damage is in order.

As for the chopper gunner, he is using it on the smallest map and only one single person appears to have the lock on launcher, which should take it down much easier this time since it is so freaking slow now. On bigger maps will greatly decrease it's effectiveness. That SAM kill streak I also think will be an extremely effective counter to all airborn targets. I also believe he was just EXTREMELY lucky to get a chopper gunner off that car package instead of ammo or a UAV. It may stand to have a nerf, I think losing the boxes around the target would make it a weapon for the quick of the eye.

As for sniping... ok, that is going to get annoying. However, that should be easy to patch, maybe increase scoping in time and some kind of prevention from the player shooting before he actually sees down the site?

The dogs, again, haven't been found effective counters for since this is the first day. They now are an 11 killstreak instead of 7, and only spawn for 30 seconds now. They are more powerful, but bunkering down in a corner till the timer runs out will be much more effective now.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
razelas said:
OMG, TREYARCH IS TRYING TO MAKE SNIPING AS REAL AS POSSIBLE?! THOSE BASTARDS!
Realism does not equal fun.
If I want stupid fun, I'll play Unreal.

this is a modern war game; that means I expect realism. Realism adds challenge and challenge creates a sense of accomplishment. Having sniping be based on realistic sniping skill is more of a challenge than run-n-gun quickscoping and more rewarding. Although I'm not a fan of CoD, I believe this to a HUGE step forward. Are you not a fan of realism in games? Or am I taking this one post out of context to your beliefs? Because if realism is a bad thing to you, then i pity you for wanting the industry to retard.

ForensicYOYO

Jun 12, 2010
And to think I was considering buying that crap later. O well Im waiting for the new Need for Speed anyway.

thefunk686

Jul 28, 2009
The amount of people telling MiracleOfSound down for his premature rage against this game is extremely encouraging to me, as it seems like he has put little thought into what he decided was rage-worthy from a few pre-release videos of a game he hasn't even touched yet.

Basing all of his claims off of six minutes worth of video on what was clearly stated as the SMALLEST map in the game and someone else's distress about a broken mechanic does nothing but demonstrate his lack of thorough analysis of the game.

To anyone who thinks that snapping a rifle up to your shoulder and firing off a perfectly accurate shot is in anyway realistic, I challenge you to try it, and see how many times you can even figure out where your shot ended up.

As for the chopper gunner, I was under the impression that it was possible to shoot the gunner out of the helicopter, which I think is a great way to balance out its firepower.

And second chance is just something players will have to be wary of. If you get taken down by someone in their last stand, you probably didn't deserve the kill, and giving them the chance to get back up afterward is your punishment for not taking care of business.

I personally am really excited for this game, and extra stoked that all signs have pointed to a complete eradication of Stopping Power, the single most broken perk to grace the COD franchise.