Black police officer fired for trying to stop chokehold wins ruling, to get pension

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
The officer, Cariol Horne, was fired following a 2006 incident in which she tried to stop an officer from using a chokehold on a handcuffed suspect. Horne served on the Buffalo police force for 19 of the 20 years required to receive a pension.
"The message was sent that you don't cross that blue line and so some officers — many officers don't," Horne said in a 2020 interview with CNN's Brianna Keilar.

"I had five children and I lost everything but [the suspect] did not lose his life," Horne said then. "So, if I have nothing else to live for in life, at least I can know that I did the right thing and that [he] still breathes."

Tuesday's ruling restored Horne's pension and vacated an earlier court ruling upholding her dismissal.

CNN reached out to the city on Wednesday but received no immediately reply. Michael J. De George, spokesman for Buffalo, told the Buffalo News: "The City has always supported any additional judicial review available to Officer Horne and respects the court's decision."

Neither the Buffalo Police Department nor the Buffalo Police Benevolent Association immediately responded to a request for comment.

"The legal system can at the very least be the mechanism to help justice prevail, even if belatedly," Erie County Supreme Court Judge Dennis E. Ward wrote in his decision.

Ward referenced the cases of George Floyd — who died after a Minneapolis police officer pressed his knee on his neck for nearly nine-and-a-half minutes — and Eric Garner— the New York man who died after being placed in a chokehold — among other alleged instances of excessive force by police.

"One of the issues in all of these cases is the role of other officers at the scene, and particularly their complicity in failing to intervene to save the life of a person to whom such unreasonable physical force is being applied," Ward wrote.

Ward referenced Buffalo lawmakers who penned a law obligating police officers to intervene in instances of excessive force and named the legislation after Horne. In so doing, Ward wrote, the city "has thus already determined that Officer Horne intervened to save the life of a civilian."

Horne addressed the court decision in a statement issued through her attorney.

"My vindication comes at a 15 year cost, but what has been gained could not be measured," she said. "I never wanted another Police Officer to go through what I had gone through for doing the right thing."

She called on lawmakers nationwide to pass similar legislation to Buffalo's "Cariol's Law," which obligates officers to intervene and seeks to legally protect those who do.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Why are so many police officers like this?

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I hope this is just step one. Every last official involved in her firing should lose their jobs and their pensions. It's people like them who cow the good cops into not stopping or reporting the misdeeds of the bad ones.
It reveals the fundamental mindset of too many institutions, which is to protect the wellbeing of the institution - even when they fail in their intended purpose.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Why are so many police officers like this?
They've always been like this, they've always done this and minorities have been telling you about it for decades but people didn't listen, it's partly because the extreme ease in which the evidence can be presented nowadays but people are finally starting to pay attention, what everyone needs to learn is that it never was a few bad apples, the purpose of the police is and has always been to oppress and silence the people so that the people in charge can run things how they want, it's pretty obvious in hindsight, how carrying guns in the middle of the city wasn't a problem until the Black Panther Party did it, this is the nature of authoritarianism.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
They've always been like this, they've always done this and minorities have been telling you about it for decades but people didn't listen, it's partly because the extreme ease in which the evidence can be presented nowadays but people are finally starting to pay attention, what everyone needs to learn is that it never was a few bad apples, the purpose of the police is and has always been to oppress and silence the people so that the people in charge can run things how they want, it's pretty obvious in hindsight, how carrying guns in the middle of the city wasn't a problem until the Black Panther Party did it, this is the nature of authoritarianism.
That and a combination of the US culture's fetishization of violence, and cops/military in pop culture, coupled with a system that actively looks for people with that "gung ho" attitude to join the force. Couple it with a culture (internal police culture, and society at large) that actively discourages seeking help for mental health, and implies people that need it are less of a man, and you have a system that streamlines for violent assholes, that are conditioned to respond with extreme measures at the slightest provocation, and feel it's justified.

Reactions: Kae

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
It reveals the fundamental mindset of too many institutions, which is to protect the wellbeing of the institution - even when they fail in their intended purpose.
The intended purpose of US police is to protect the property and comfort of the rich from the underclass that creates and maintains both.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
What the merry fuck is that?
Training targets that were intended to let someone practice analyzing threats by what someone is doing rather than what someone generally looks like. As opposed to training people to see "tall man in black hoodie" as the default threat. I'm not saying it's good or well executed, but I can see the intent.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, given that school shootings by kids are a regular occurrence in the US, which nobody wants to address, and to the extent that there's always moves to arm teachers to kill their students, training police to also kill armed kids makes a certain kind of sense.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Training targets that were intended to let someone practice analyzing threats by what someone is doing rather than what someone generally looks like. As opposed to training people to see "tall man in black hoodie" as the default threat. I'm not saying it's good or well executed, but I can see the intent.
So can I.

But a significant issue is whether some US police forces have a paramilitary conflict mindset, that trains them endlessly about threats and not so much about de-escalation and community engagement.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
So can I.

But a significant issue is whether some US police forces have a paramilitary conflict mindset, that trains them endlessly about threats and not so much about de-escalation and community engagement.
It's not really a question of whether this is the case unfortunately. It's purposely a feature of their training.

Who ever could have guessed that teaching cops things like "The best sex you'll ever have in life is after killing someone." and "Shoot first, ask questions later." would lead to excessive use of force and unnecessary shootings by police...

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Gotta put down that evil toddler ASAP. Actually deescalating a situation is grounds for firing
I especially like that the little boy is both smiling and doesn't seem to know how to actually hold or aim the gun. Clearly he is an imminent threat.

Last edited: