Blade Runner 2049 - what did everyone think? (Minor spoilers)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I liked how they still kept the feel of the original, while also realistically advancing the technology, based on our own increased understandings of it compared to the 80's idea of The Future.

I liked the pacing, the vast emptiness of the wastelands, the slow build to the events, pretty much all of it.

I really only had 2 issues with the film, and they mostly centered on

The replicant that worked for Leto, Luv I think was her name? I didn't really understand her portrayal. At first, she seemed like she might be a replicant that didn't like working for Leto's character, but had something of a god devotion to him, their maker. The scene where she is crying at the birth of the new replicant felt very intimate and gentle, but then later on in the film, she's gleefully killing people like a terminator. And I didn't really feel why she was doing it. I kept expecting her to be secretly trying to help the protagonists, because she didn't want Leto's character in power any more, and wanted them to be free perhaps. But no, she just wanted to be the biggest badass on the block, and liked killing humans, because of her ego apparently.

Secondly, I just didn't really feel like they covered their tracks enough to keep Let's character from realizing that Deckard survived, and was still out there. Given the lengths he was willing to go to, the idea that the car floated out just a little bit to see, wouldn't stop him. He would obviously have drones that could go underwater, and search the wreckage for the bodies, and when Deckard didn't show up at all, he would continue the search.

Aside from that, I loved it.

Dazzle Novak

Sep 28, 2015
Entertaining and visually-stunning, but as another poster said, the original Blade Runner has been jury-rigged from a simple noir story set in a dystopian future following an alcoholic detective discovering the measure of a human being as applied to himself and his targets into an origin story for the most important romance ever within this universe (never mind that Ford and Young had almost zero chemistry in the original).

I hate this yen for "chosen one" narratives and I prefer when multiple stories can exist within a world without them all being incidentally or fundamentally connected. All these sprawling worlds eventually become a culdesac with one or two fan favorite characters being the center of everything.