Blade's Wesley Snipes Sentenced to Three Years in Prison

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010

A federal judge has sentenced Blade actor Wesley Snipes to three years in prison on tax evasion charges.

Despite raised concerns regarding the fairness of his trial, actor Wesley Snipes (Blade, To Wong Foo Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar) is going to jail for three years. Snipes was sentenced today for a 2008 conviction of willfully failing to file tax returns and obstructing the United States Internal Revenue Service.

Not only did he probably want to avoid jail, Snipes was actually hoping to have the convicting trial thrown out entirely. According The Hollywood Reporter, "two jurors sent emails to Snipes' lawyers alleging that other members made the conclusion that he was guilty before the trial officially started...one of the witnesses Kenneth Starr, who recently pleaded guilty to fraud, gave a "tainted" testimony against Snipes." Snipes' lawyers were hoping that these perjury accusations would result in a new trial, but no dice.

U.S. District Judge William Terrell Hodges ruled that "The Defendant Snipes had a fair trial; he has had a full, fair and thorough review of his conviction and sentence by the Court of Appeals; and he has had a full, fair and thorough review of his present claims, during all of which he has remained at liberty. The time has come for the judgment to be enforced." Snipes is required to surrender himself to the authorities, but the time and place of that surrender is currently unknown.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/wesley-snipes-ordered-serve-three-47534]

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
I wonder if they'll have to tie him up with rings of garlic.

To hell with the chair, just leave him to sunbathe.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Mackheath said:

Half-vampire. None of their weaknesses. You need to watch the movies again, I see.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
That wasn't the best picture to use for an article...

poor dude, he used to kick some ass in his movies ! i really liked when he was the Nemesis guy of Demolition Man... among other characters.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Just goes to show that even a bad-ass, vampire-slaying daywalker can't avoid to pay his taxes.

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
McNinja said:
Mackheath said:

Half-vampire. None of their weaknesses. You need to watch the movies again, I see.
It has been years, I'll admit. I never watched the third, and the other two are vague memories. *shrug*

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Simon Phoenix, you are fined three years for a violation of the Financial Morality Statute.
We never did find out how to use the three seashells

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Who will save us from the cullens now?....i think we need a new superhero...SOMEONE GET VAN HELSING

but yeah...shoulda filed them taxes....if thats one thing the govmt hates..its being cheated out of money

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Gudrests said:
Who will save us from the cullens now?....i think we need a new superhero...SOMEONE GET VAN HELSING
I'm afraid he already got jacked for making obscene phone calls to Dracula.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
This is bullshit. They are clearly trying to set some kind of example with this.

FREEDOM FOR SNIPES!

On the other hand, he's a rich bastard, he could have payed those taxes. What the fuck was he thinking? I wouldn't send him to jail for that but I would send him to jail for being stupid.

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
If his name was Wesley Johnson his ass would have been in jail 10 years ago when he started all this nonsense. Snipes is an asshole.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
ImprovizoR said:
This is bullshit. They are clearly trying to set some kind of example with this.

FREEDOM FOR SNIPES!

On the other hand, he's a rich bastard, he could have payed those taxes. What the fuck was he thinking? I wouldn't send him to jail for that but I would send him to jail for being stupid.
It has been said countless times before but in the entire pantheon of crimes you might commit, the one you should never consider is tax evasion. The tax man will get his dues.

More than one super-villain wannabe was brought down by the tax man.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Gudrests said:
shit...well. anyone got a gun...err a cross shooting crossbow? idk something ill take them all out

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Not to be an ass (I may be anyway, though. Apologies), but are we into celebrity gossip now here?

If I see something on here about the freaking prince of England getting married, I'm gonna flip out.

Cgull

Behind You
Oct 31, 2009
DustyDrB said:
If I see something on here about the freaking prince of England getting married, I'm gonna flip out.
If you're not enjoying it, how bad do you think it is over here?! Can't move for hearing about the bloody wedding, why they can't just skip to the inevitable divorce part is beyond me. That said, fairly certain (ok, very) that he's Prince William of Wales ;)

Anyhoo, on-topic, this is hardly a bad thing to happen is it? Snipes evaded taxes, now gets jailed. Makes perfect sense surely?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Gudrests said:

but yeah...shoulda filed them taxes....if thats one thing the govmt hates..its being cheated out of money
Hugh Jackman is boss

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
D'aww, got caught out by tax evasion? Should have taken lessons from the banking industry ;)

ENKC

May 3, 2010
Nothing worse than an unfair trail.

And as an accountant in Australia, this seems quite extreme. I know of one chap who had 26 years of tax returns he asked if he could do. This does of course beg the question, that if he was organised enough to keep records for 26 years, why not lodge a return during that time?

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Wicky_42 said:
D'aww, got caught out by tax evasion? Should have taken lessons from the banking industry ;)
Hahahahahaha.

You win the thread good sir!

OT: I remember hearing about this a few years ago when it all started. If memory serves, he also tried to use a fake passport to get around Africa.

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
That's for Blade Trinity sucking!

More seriously, I doubt very much anyone will mess with him in prison. Pretty sure he could kill everyone using only his stare.

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Well, Mr. Snipes, you ARE rich, and it is, in fact, very easy for you to give large sums of your cash back to the society that you live in, yet still remain more comfortable than most people ever will, even in a wealthy western nation, let alone the world as a whole. So maybe you should have been less of a moneygrabbing fuck and payed some fucking taxes, you silly sod.

Why is it that the rich are the ones who always pull this shit? what, do they suddenly need the money?

Cgull said:
DustyDrB said:
If you're not enjoying it, how bad do you think it is over here?! Can't move for hearing about the bloody wedding, why they can't just skip to the inevitable divorce part is beyond me. That said, fairly certain (ok, very) that he's Prince William of Wales ;)

Anyhoo, on-topic, this is hardly a bad thing to happen is it? Snipes evaded taxes, now gets jailed. Makes perfect sense surely?
BBC news. They ignore the various famines and states of severe poverty in third-world countries, refuse to cover any important stories that do not fit with existing media storylines, and then they go and take the fucking cake by reporting endlessly on the marriage of some punchable toff and his bit of stuff.

We know he is a prince, BBC news.

That does not make his marriage newsworthy at all.

He is just a man having a very expensive wedding, that will no doubt have recieved contributions from the fuckloads of taxpayer money that used to go to the royals.

Do not go and waste more of our fucking time and money by using our licensing fee on some man who has no connection to us or anything of even vague importance that effects us.

Stop trying to pull in audiences and get more attention, and just give us our fucking news!

No, not another one of those bloody "have your views" sections! I will form a viewpoint of my own using the information provided to me. Or at least I would, if you stopped encouraging people with no knowledge or useful info to waste everyone else's time and skipped to the "news" part of the bloody news!

Man, sorry. This got a bit tangental...

DevilSShadoW

Oct 29, 2009
What a cruel way to go... to jail
He should perform harakiri asap so he can at least die with honor (damn you taxman)

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I had sympathy for the guy, once, before I read what sort of a crazy, crazy person he clearly is, on top of being a tax fraud and generally a criminal. He deserves at least three years in jail.

From Wikipedia -

On October 12, 2006, Wesley Snipes, Eddie Ray Kahn, and Douglas P. Rosile were charged with one count of conspiring to defraud the United States under 18 U.S.C. § 371 and one count of knowingly making or aiding and abetting the making of a false and fraudulent claim for payment against the United States, under 18 U.S.C. § 287 and 18 U.S.C. § 2. Snipes was also charged with six counts of willfully failing to file Federal income tax returns by their filing dates under 26 U.S.C. § 7203.[13] The conspiracy charge against Snipes included allegations that he filed a false amended return including a false tax refund claim of over US$4 million for the year 1996 and a false amended return including a false tax refund claim of over US$7.3 million for the year 1997. The government alleged that Snipes attempted to obtain fraudulent tax refunds using a tax protester theory called the "861 argument" (essentially, an argument that the domestic income of U.S. citizens and residents is not taxable). The indictment said Snipes used accountants who already had a history of filing false returns to obtain refund payments for their clients.[14] The government also charged that Snipes sent three worthless, fictitious "bills of exchange" to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the amounts of $1,000,000 (on November 30, 2000), $12,000,000 (January 18, 2001), and $1,000,000 (September 10, 2002), with each accompanied by an IRS tax payment voucher coupon.[15]

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Shame he ended up in prison. I mean, he should have plenty of money to pay for his taxes. Wesley, leave the country man.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
The greatest vampire hunter ever was defeated by taxes. I am sure the judge was a vampire.

FYI: Don't bother trying to change my opinion, either.

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
I guess this is...

Undisputed!

YEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

On a serious note, I admire this lad works, but a crime is a crime nevertheless.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
gamerguy473 said:
Just watch, in 2016 he'll get appointed as Treasury Director just like Mr. Gheithner
You mean just like half of Obama's cabinet (including Gheithner)?

OT: Thats pretty fucked up with the jurors already deciding he was guilty before the trial even started. Anywhere else in the U.S. (okay, well maybe everywhere except Las Vegas, Nevada) those jurors would have at least been removed from the trial and new jurors would have been brought in.

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Meh, I shan't weep for him. He's going to rich & famous people prison, which offers a better day to day lifestyle than most regular people living on the outside.

Also, "White men can't jump" was one of my favorite movies back in the day. Not sure why.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Canid117 said:
You're safe for now Cullen...
I'm afraid Alucard of Hellsing agreed to take care of all the daily runnings for Snipes while he's incarcerated..so, Cullen be fucked.

Chappy

May 17, 2010
Infernai said:
Canid117 said:
You're safe for now Cullen...
I'm afraid Alucard of Hellsing agreed to take care of all the daily runnings for Snipes while he's incarcerated..so, Cullen be fucked.

That news my friend is just full on win, go forth Alucard and save us all.

Really though if there were two jurors who were suspected of being biased can't he try for a mistrial and have the case reviewed + possibly re-done?

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
Elizabeth Grunewald said:

A federal judge has sentenced Blade actor Wesley Snipes to three years in prison on tax evasion charges.

Despite raised concerns regarding the fairness of his trail

Watch out for those "trails" -was that a paper trail? Did they follow it to find out how he evaded taxes?

He may well leave a trail of destruction behind him, too...

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Gudrests said:
Casual Shinji said:
Gudrests said:
shit...well. anyone got a gun...err a cross shooting crossbow? idk something ill take them all out
We still have Alucard.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
InterAirplay said:
Why is it that the rich are the ones who always pull this shit?
Because the rich are the only ones who make enough money to be able to build up enough back taxes for it to be news worthy. Joe Schmo who owes the IRS $5,000 isn't going to be making the front page of any newspapers any time soon.

-EDIT-
And this is why I support the Fair Tax. The government would save so much money on these investigations, because the only ones who'd be able to dodge taxes would be businesses. And with them, it's easier to hide an elephant in a Volkswagen than to hide the fact that you're not giving the IRS their money.

Pholark

Nov 17, 2010
"Alright, let's see who we have here.. WESLEY SNIPES?! Psh, c'mon guys, Blade sucked balls, this guys effin' guilty."

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I thought this already happened.

I remember Denzel referring to him as a "fellow thespian", which convinced me that one of my favorite actors, Denzel, was probably a pretentious douche. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.

Also, I hate to play the race/gender card, but young white celebri-tarts seem to get really light sentences for their crimes respectively. Maybe if he'd try wearing drag... again... and start crying or something they'd go easier on him?

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Damn. I wonder how many people will try to rough him up in prison just because he plays such bad-asses in movies.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
The judge is obviously a vampire and this is just a conspiracy to get Blade out of the way! How is no one else seeing this!?
Jeronus said:
The greatest vampire hunter ever was defeated by taxes. I am sure the judge was a vampire.

FYI: Don't bother trying to change my opinion, either.
Oh...I guess someone did.

OT: The guy probably has a lot more money lying around then most Americans. He should be able to pay his taxes and have quite a bit left over. Come Wes, you were just being greedy.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
It's all a plot by the Witness Protection Program to protect Cullen because otherwise the Twitards would rebel and not even 1000 Blades would prevent that sort of sweaty female fanfiction-writing teenager rage.

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Mackheath said:

Um, you've never seen Blade (the film) have you? He's called the Daywalker for a reason.

AvsJoe

May 28, 2009
This sucks. Unlike a lot of people, I really do like his acting. He was excellent, for instance, in Brooklyn's Finest, which was otherwise a sub-par film. Oh well, here's hoping he learns his lesson cooling off in the pen.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
only thing that charrs my ass about this is the fact how many of our senators and congressmen have had it come out that they filed incomplete or misleading or did not pay taxes at all on stuff they should have payed, and they write the fing laws and none of them ever goto jail just a verbal scolding from their peers and a bit of bad or semi bad press (depending what party you belong to :p) and write a check and all is forgiven.

tho snipes had something coming i mean did the guy not flee the country for years trying to dodge the charges? nevermind trying to falsify tax statements and incomes for the years disputed.

but either way he got 3 years but he will probably serve 1 to 1 1/2 years with good behavior and all, less he goes crazy and does go blade on the other inmates or something stupid.

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Simon Phoenix, you are fined three years for a violation of the Financial Morality Statute.
Teh_Dave said:
No prison can hold Simon Pheonix!
Send a maniac to capture a maniac!

Pipotchi said:
We never did find out how to use the three seashells
I think I figured it out. The largest seashell is only used to scoop up any large pieces. The medium shell gets the majority, and the smallest one finishes the job.

Kinda painful if you ask me...

sneakypenguin

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
usa
Jail for tax evasion is stupid. Heck jail for any non violent offence is cruel, just seize assets.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I don't recall these taxes being part of the law not that ive missed anything but we all seem to pay the usual bills but taxes for nearly everything how are we eventually going to afford what we want in the future?.

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Yet white girls breaking probation and doing drugs and other stupid stuff get 45 days.....Yeah. Thats a fair and just system.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Corporations evade more taxes than this guy has net worth and nobody goes to jail for that.

Seems a little hokey.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Good.

This is another great example that nobody is above the law.

Corwynt said:
Don't drop the soap :/

Someone had to say it!
I seriously, seriously doubt that anyone would try that with Wesley.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
The judge is gonna end up with a pen shoved in his eye.

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
DustyDrB said:
Not to be an ass (I may be anyway, though. Apologies), but are we into celebrity gossip now here?

Actually he's the Prince of Wales, not England

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
I love the two film credits they listed. The vampire-slaying badass and...Noxeema Jackson. hahaha! Nice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctFJmTHdTuQ check it out at :26. Priceless. If he kept his dress, the guy with the book cart might come around more often.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Rich people who fail to pay tax should have all their money confiscated and be forced to live a life of poverty for several years.

They disgust me, it's bad enough most rich people pay proportionally less tax then people in lower income brackets (example, I pay 30% income tax, I can't afford an accountant, so I pay all my tax, a rich dick who is suppose to be paying 50-60% tax can afford a team of them to find every loophole imaginable and ends up paying maybe 30% tax), but it spits into the face of proportional responsibility.

The entire concept of a percentage income tax is that the more that society gives you, and it does, without the society to provide the opportunities and support, they wouldn't be earning such big money, so it's only bloody fair they pay a proportional amount back to society.

Fuckwits who think the rich are being "punished" for success are just plain stupid, without the lower rungs of the social ladder for them to stand on, there would be no rich people. Do you honestly think our societies would work without the people to drive the taxies, clean the officers, pick the food? No of course not.

Pay your fucking tax you greedy shits.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Well, sucks to be him I suppose. Not to seem ungrateful (wait a second) but he could of most likely payed whatever the hell it is he was charged for.

DustyDrB said:
But have you SEEN that girl he's marrying? POW!

standokan

May 28, 2009
How did they catch him, i mean like, he´s a half-vampire,I mean what did they have, a half god?

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
DustyDrB said:
Dude, it's 24/7 over here, you have it easy.

Also, he's the prince of Wales : )

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
Terramax said:
PyroZombie said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LQMRFN9I5k
That was genius. Especially the reference to The Shawshank Redemption at the end.
Linked the high quality one earlier.

And to all those people lamenting as to why Snipes is in jail yet little white girls doing drugs aren't, remember that regardless of whether others get away with it, Snipes still deserves prison for what he did.

Seriously, should've just paid your damn taxes.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
McNinja said:
Mackheath said:

wasn't the only reason that he doesn't have any of the weaknesses because he gets regular injections of some special medicine? (tho i might be wrong...)

On topic, i hope his surrendering to the police results in an epic fight between him and the cops:)

lizienaL

Nov 29, 2010
Wesley Snipes has been ordered by a judge to start serving his sentence for tax evasion. Snipes was convicted in 2008 of tax evasion but was totally free on bond while his attorneys appealed for a new trial. Snipes has been requested to serve his 3 year sentence after the appeal failed. I guess Wesley Snipes couldn't get a personal loan [http://personalmoneystore.com/payday-loans/] large enough to buy his freedom.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
Good idea! Lets send the best Vampire hunter we've got to prison! Now the vampires and twilight fans will be uncontrollable and unstoppable!