Blade's Wesley Snipes Sentenced to Three Years in Prison

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Blade's Wesley Snipes Sentenced to Three Years in Prison

A federal judge has sentenced Blade actor Wesley Snipes to three years in prison on tax evasion charges.

Despite raised concerns regarding the fairness of his trial, actor Wesley Snipes (Blade, To Wong Foo Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar) is going to jail for three years. Snipes was sentenced today for a 2008 conviction of willfully failing to file tax returns and obstructing the United States Internal Revenue Service.

Not only did he probably want to avoid jail, Snipes was actually hoping to have the convicting trial thrown out entirely. According The Hollywood Reporter, "two jurors sent emails to Snipes' lawyers alleging that other members made the conclusion that he was guilty before the trial officially started...one of the witnesses Kenneth Starr, who recently pleaded guilty to fraud, gave a "tainted" testimony against Snipes." Snipes' lawyers were hoping that these perjury accusations would result in a new trial, but no dice.

U.S. District Judge William Terrell Hodges ruled that "The Defendant Snipes had a fair trial; he has had a full, fair and thorough review of his conviction and sentence by the Court of Appeals; and he has had a full, fair and thorough review of his present claims, during all of which he has remained at liberty. The time has come for the judgment to be enforced." Snipes is required to surrender himself to the authorities, but the time and place of that surrender is currently unknown.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/wesley-snipes-ordered-serve-three-47534]

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Mackheath said:
I wonder if they'll have to tie him up with rings of garlic.

To hell with the chair, just leave him to sunbathe.
Half-vampire. None of their weaknesses. You need to watch the movies again, I see.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
That wasn't the best picture to use for an article...

poor dude, he used to kick some ass in his movies ! i really liked when he was the Nemesis guy of Demolition Man... among other characters.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Just goes to show that even a bad-ass, vampire-slaying daywalker can't avoid to pay his taxes.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Simon Phoenix, you are fined three years for a violation of the Financial Morality Statute.
We never did find out how to use the three seashells

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Who will save us from the cullens now?....i think we need a new superhero...SOMEONE GET VAN HELSING

but yeah...shoulda filed them taxes....if thats one thing the govmt hates..its being cheated out of money

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Gudrests said:
Who will save us from the cullens now?....i think we need a new superhero...SOMEONE GET VAN HELSING
I'm afraid he already got jacked for making obscene phone calls to Dracula.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
This is bullshit. They are clearly trying to set some kind of example with this.

FREEDOM FOR SNIPES!

On the other hand, he's a rich bastard, he could have payed those taxes. What the fuck was he thinking? I wouldn't send him to jail for that but I would send him to jail for being stupid.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
ImprovizoR said:
This is bullshit. They are clearly trying to set some kind of example with this.

FREEDOM FOR SNIPES!

On the other hand, he's a rich bastard, he could have payed those taxes. What the fuck was he thinking? I wouldn't send him to jail for that but I would send him to jail for being stupid.
It has been said countless times before but in the entire pantheon of crimes you might commit, the one you should never consider is tax evasion. The tax man will get his dues.

More than one super-villain wannabe was brought down by the tax man.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Gudrests said:
I'm afraid he already got jacked for making obscene phone calls to Dracula.
shit...well. anyone got a gun...err a cross shooting crossbow? idk something ill take them all out

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Not to be an ass (I may be anyway, though. Apologies), but are we into celebrity gossip now here?

If I see something on here about the freaking prince of England getting married, I'm gonna flip out.

Cgull

Behind You
Oct 31, 2009
DustyDrB said:
If I see something on here about the freaking prince of England getting married, I'm gonna flip out.
If you're not enjoying it, how bad do you think it is over here?! Can't move for hearing about the bloody wedding, why they can't just skip to the inevitable divorce part is beyond me. That said, fairly certain (ok, very) that he's Prince William of Wales ;)

Anyhoo, on-topic, this is hardly a bad thing to happen is it? Snipes evaded taxes, now gets jailed. Makes perfect sense surely?