-Blank- Fanatasy

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
The Spartan E1337 said:
What about dinosaur fantasy? You would get to choose your race and specialty based on dinosaurs!! You could be flying around in a prehistoric jungle as a pterodactyl fighting a T-rex!
Oh my god... I would kill to see that become real @___________@

OT: While Modern settings are all well and good, I've found much enjoyment with the backstories for the Shadow Hearts games, with all three being set early in the Twentieth century (with the first two taking place just before or during WWI in Europe (SH2 also takes players to Japan in the second half) & the third in 1929 America before the stock market crash, chronologically). It offers a unique setting for what would otherwise be a magics-and-monsters RPG, while still being outrageously (but charmingly :3) inaccurate in certain aspects, and hilarious to boot. Maybe more in this vein - or at least in a similar manner - would be interesting, especially in video games.

EDIT: Also, dystopian, space-based, post-apocalyptic settings? Does that even exist anywhere? X___x

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Jonny49 said:
A Victorian sci-fi RPG would be awesome.

There probably is some out there, I just haven't heard of them yet.
I can't think of any, the closest I can come up with is Bioshock: Infinite, but that would be an awesome game if one is out there.
Arcanum: Of steamworks and magick obscura. A shame you've never heard of it.

Chucker

Sep 3, 2008
An ancient Egyptian fantasy or another ancient civilization would be interesting. Funny how fantasy settings are all about looking back.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Final Fantasy 7 was very much this, but with some slight anachronisms such as cell phones existing but not sports cars and zeppelins being more reliable than airplanes. Even so, in Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core, the world of FF7 has been made more like the modern era, just with everyone driving antique cars. The melee warriors were superhuman to begin with, making guns less effective against them, and the rest were gun wielders and mages. This doesn't explain Tifa's Soldier-level strength, unless she secretly uses a lot of STR boost materia the player never gets to see or remove. Maybe her oversized breasts are implants filled with Mako...

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
SacremPyrobolum said:
Hyper-space said:
henritje said:
a sort-off cyberpunk RPG game where magic is only usable in cyber space it would have classes like "gunner" "brawler" "hacker" "rogue" etc. all with different areas of expertise (for example a brawler would be better at un-armed/melee fights and a hacker would suck at fighting and would focus on technology)
E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy[footnote]http://eye.streumon-studio.com/[/footnote], i'd suggest checking youtube for more gameplay vids.

Personally (this is a bit specific, but), i would like to see a FPS/RPG set in Vietnam, except instead of your ol' Vietnam, this is a psychedelic-version of it, with weird occurrences and phenomena. Maybe you could play a soldier who's list his mind and has to reclaim it. All the visuals would be surreal and just "off", such as streets that seem to stretch on forever and people without eyes.

I don't know, just a thought.
Like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in Asia.
Stalker is more "radioactive creatures roaming eastern-europe" level, i am talking about David Lynch levels of weirdness.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Halceon said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Jonny49 said:

I can't think of any, the closest I can come up with is Bioshock: Infinite, but that would be an awesome game if one is out there.
Never heard of it, what system is it on?

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Halceon said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Jonny49 said:

Old PC game, interesting one too, had to balance multiple forms of magic with guns and science. I'll add my vote to modern fantasy (Dresden).

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
BabySinclair said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Old PC game, interesting one too, had to balance multiple forms of magic with guns and science. I'll add my vote to modern fantasy (Dresden).
Hmmm... this has interested me now, is it on Steam or am I going to have to look for it somewhere?

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
BabySinclair said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Hmmm... this has interested me now, is it on Steam or am I going to have to look for it somewhere?
Good Old Games has it for $6 USD. Think magic and tech Fallout, same guys

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Jonny49 said:

Guys, Final Fantasy IX

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Bara_no_Hime said:
I've always liked modern fantasy.

Dresden Files, X/1999, Sailor Moon, Mai Hime....

Technically speaking, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, although that was more modern action/horror.
Nice taste. =) It's the same for me. Fortunately, we get the occasional game for our tastes such as Persona, Parasite Eve, and most other Megaten titles.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Austin Howe said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Guys, Final Fantasy IX
Never played it. The only FF game I've played was XIII, and IX looks weird to me from what little pictures I've seen of it.

glyphseeker

Sep 19, 2010
you know i liked the whole idea that the game "Secrets of Evermore" had. That is a way to actually get all sorts of time lines in there. If something like it were to be made/is made i would love to know

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Austin Howe said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Guys, Final Fantasy IX
Never played it. The only FF game I've played was XIII, and IX looks weird to me from what little pictures I've seen of it.
Play it. It's a far superior game.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
I always thought it would be funny to have a game/comic/movie/etc. set in a high fantasy universe (i.e. elves, orcs, dwarves and whatnot) but several hundred years in the future such that their society has evolved into something reminiscent of ours. The thought of an Orc accountant wearing glasses, a nice shirt and tie is fucking hysterical to me for some reason...