Blast Into Dark Void Early This Week

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Blast Into Dark Void Early This Week

Capcom is letting us check out its multi-dimensional jetpack sci-fi shooter before having to take the full plunge.

On very short notice, Capcom has revealed that a Dark Void demo will be available for download this week. The demo will hit Xbox Live sometime on January 6, and the PlayStation Network on January 7. CoD:Mew Two [http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Void-Playstation-3/dp/B00170823O/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1282153663&sr=1-1] has, but it's definitely a title with a lot of potential. An early demo release at least infers confidence on Capcom's part.

Dark Void is a sci-fi shooter that not only solves the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle, but also brings back Nikola Tesla, one of the greatest minds the world has ever known (or one of the most mysterious). The main character gets sucked into "The Void", an alternate dimension full of weird alien creatures trying to get to our side. The story sounds solid enough, but it's in the gameplay that the true fun seems to be had.

Vertical combat is one of the features touted for Dark Void. Rather than fighting only on solid ground, you'll also be fighting your way up cliffs and mountainsides while aliens and robots shoot downward at you. Later on you get a jetpack, and soar around the skies as you try to hijack UFOs. If you want to know more, you could always watch a two [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96272-Dark-Void-Trailer-Confuses-and-Enthralls], as there are quite a lot of Dark Void trailers out there.

The game is due out January 19, so don't forget to pre-order if you like the demo. I'm just saying, you'll probably want to get the 8-bit version [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94343-Dark-Voids-Pre-Order-Bonus-Changes-the-Game]. This demo should finally let us know if the franchise has legs or not.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Intresting, Might need to look into playing thiis, actually not heard anything about this game till now

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I hope its good, my boys at Air Tight also made my fave game of all time: Crimson Skies High Road To Revenge. This game hopefully is of the same quality.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Hmmm. Looks interesting... *sigh* I need a PS3 or 360... My brother has a 360, but he has had two PS2's and two PSP's, so it's only a matter of time until he trades the 360 in too. Hopefully I can find a job and buy it off him instead. :)

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Yes! I've been anticipating this for the last year or so! A game based around the brilliant mind and inventions of Nikolai Tesla? FUCK YES!!!

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
First it was Da Vinci, now it's Tesla. Strange little videogame trend... Anyway, I hope the gameplay and story goes past the jetpack gimmick. Enjoy, those of you who get the demo.

Savrill

Jun 5, 2009
yes dududf, it will also be on the PC. I have an article in the gaming magazine i always read, which only covers PC games.
(PC Gameplay)

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Downloaded and played the demo. It's actually quite good. Flying's smooth and easy to learn as well as flying combat. But it took a little bit (Roughly a minute) to figure out the 'hijack' controls. It's like a minigame to control of the robot ships and I had fun. Standard combat's simple and got the same controls as a regular TPS, though the melee is a little slow. I say get it.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Just got done playing the demo for The Rocketeer HD Dark Void. Fun stuff, although the dog-fighting was a little difficult to get used to and the combat is sort of wonky (melee is SLOO-OO-OOOOOW). I'll be checking it out. I will not be pre-ordering it for the gold jetpack or action figure, tho.