Bleszinski Appeals To Phil Fish: Get Back In The Game

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
TheKasp said:
hazabaza1 said:
Just want to add to this situation that a Polytron employee (possibly Blowfish, possibly not) may have acted as an enraged Fez 2 fan on 4chan. [http://i.imgur.com/4COiuwF.png]

Fun times.

It is so hard to shoop that. Taking 4chan in any way as a credible source is plain stupid (not related to you but the source of the picture). Especially a figure as hated as Phil could have some guy fix a picture like that to create more negative press.
Hence the word "may". The 4Chan post is a special kind of pre-emptive nonsense if they photoshopped the image first before posting (which, to be fair, isn't unheard of on 4Chan).

OT: I never even played Fez, but I think that Fish has a problem that probably needs a psychiatrist, not "focussing [it] into your work".

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
So the idiot that quit the industry tells the other moron that quit that he is being selfish? Oh, the irony!

This is exactly why Phil Fish threw this tantrum to begin with; he wants his ego stroked. I for one hope he stays gone.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Cliffy, what exactly makes you think you're an important enough person to inspire someone to change their direction in life. Furthermore, you're trying to stand up for a whiny, easily wounded asshat like Fish. Not exactly the kind of guy I'd be going to bat for for a number of reasons.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Roander said:
Karloff said:

Beat the haters by outperforming, not by quitting, says Bleszinski.

The argument that sparked this all off was between Fish and GameTrailers presenter Marcus Beer, which ended with Fish Tweeting a wish that Beer kill himself quote from Futurama.

Seems silly now, doesn't it.
Given the rest of Fish's rant, I believe Poe's Law is in full effect.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
While I feel that Fish's "I'm taking my ball and going home" move is BEYOND childish. I agree that this whole thing reaks of a need to change the general attitude of the whole gaming community.

I don't recall what he's done to piss off people in the past, but from what I understand this guy was attacking him for not forming an opinion on certain Xbox one policies until he understood them better. There are tons of journalists out there spitting total venom wherever they feel and while far from all of it is undeserved, it's unfair for the internet to fire up it's hate machine just because a developer decided to fire back without sounding like he consulted a lawyer first.

Futurama quote or not, I've seen plenty of videos on Esacpist alone who have said horrible horrible (hilarious) things about people and practicies in the industry. It's great for hits and it gets a point across, but why should we hold the people in the hotseat to a higher standard than ourselves?

Some of these guys are genuinely trying hard to pour their hearts into works of art, despite the business end of things constantly trying to make them compromise. To expect them to sit back and take abuse on both ends puts them in a toxic situation and expecting them to just be quiet about it turns us into playground style bullies. Society pushed some kid around too far, he snapped and Fez 2 is the casualty.

Fish may be immature and overreacting, but lets face facts he's just giving back what he got from the community.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
I'm part of the minority that's at least never minded Fish & his comments, & at most have supported him for being outspoken about an industry with some serious, fundamental issues. He's abrasive, no question, but people need that sometimes. We need a lil shaking up now & then.

Whether you like Fish and/or Fez is irrelevant. He was on the receiving end of the worst the internet has to offer, & I don't think I need to remind people here how bad that can be. Example: after Lone Survivor was announce to be getting released for the Vita, Jasper Byrne received a 6 page email from a man who threatened to kill his daughter because of it. If this is what happens to a dev for going cross-platform, I can't imagine the bile spewed at Fish in private for his contentious, although not without merit, statements. So, I can't say I blame him for wanting to cut & run

All that said, I'm with Cliffy B on this one (something I very rarely say)
I honestly believe that gaming benefits from diverse viewpoints & while Fish isn't exactly a gentleman, his input had value

Phil Fish, "we miss you already"

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Personally im glad Fish left like a baby, he has always been a giant dick and made other indie devs look bad, moreso in that indie games movie, and cliff, just fuck you, i say this because i know you will say something douchy as i type this and i know for a fact that no matter how reads this at what time, you will have said something douchy.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Anyone else get the general impression this is just a grab for free publicity? As if he planned on "rage quitting" then start production again after people starting talking about his game again...... So it is the equivilent of a "leaked" photo from a...... OH LORD I JUST IMAGINED HIM LEAKING A PHOTO!!
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/458/527/1b7.gif

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
bringer of illumination said:
Somehow I am not surprised that Cliffy and Fish would be chummy.

They are, after all, both mentally 12 years old.
I think that you're being generous at assuming they're mentally twelve years old. In my experience, in most people, the "I'm taking my ball and I'm going home" mentality goes away much earlier in life. I also think that CliffyB want Fish back in the game because otherwise he moves ever closer to the top of the biggest douchebags in game development chart.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
slash2x said:
Anyone else get the general impression this is just a grab for free publicity? As if he planned on "rage quitting" then start production again after people starting talking about his game again...... So it is the equivilent of a "leaked" photo from a...... OH LORD I JUST IMAGINED HIM LEAKING A PHOTO!!
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/458/527/1b7.gif
Ya this Phil Fish guy seems to do something every few months to get himself back in the news, on the gaming websites. He's a media whore basically he is the Ann Coulter of the gaming industry.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I can't be the only one who finds this whole situation depressingly ironic.

Phil Fish, after putting up with tons of hate, being called "childish" (like anybody truly cared about maturity in this industry beforehand), "asshole", "pretentious", etc... after being insulted and name called by another professional media (who apparently is not even partially at fault as is just a poor victim) finally gets enough of the hate and decides to pick up and take his things. And what do people do? Call him names, insult him, berate him, and essentially justify his frustrations and leaving. I don't care if he was the Uwe Boll of gaming, it's a damn shame that anyone would leave this industry yet depressingly not surprising.

In the Escapist comments alone, not including the incredibly biased and nasty sounding news reports, there are full of hate against him simply for existing, and this is supposed to be one of the higher minded, critical thinking gaming forums out there. It's ridiculous, to say the least.

If any of you have seen "Indie Game: The Movie" it is clear that Fish has some problems. That's not presumptuous, he literally admits he has issues with stress, self esteem, and dealing with others. I don't know why this isn't obvious to everyone, Fish does not have the luxury of being in the industry for as long as others, coupled with his social issues he'd have very thin skin.

It frustrates me when I see people tear out someone whose put out so much effort into what he does, and while I don't always agree with how he presents himself, I doubt he does so purposefully. I guess I feel more sympathy for the man because I see myself in a lot of him. He speaks out of his heart, but sometimes his mouth betrays him. In addition to the number of comments from before, now that he's leaving he has thousands more comments out on the internet to completely justify his leaving, something that the people even in this very thread don't seem to goddamn realize.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Roander said:
Karloff said:

Beat the haters by outperforming, not by quitting, says Bleszinski.

The argument that sparked this all off was between Fish and GameTrailers presenter Marcus Beer, which ended with Fish Tweeting a wish that Beer kill himself quote from Futurama.

Seems silly now, doesn't it.
Given the context of the rest of his tweets, the fact that it is a quote is irrelevant.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
bringer of illumination said:
Somehow I am not surprised that Cliffy and Fish would be chummy.

They are, after all, both mentally 12 years old.
Especially with classic one liners like "Suck my dick, choke on it."

Someone that holds so much contempt towards the people who are writing his checks...There's an old topic on Steam from Phil

"Wow Fez is #1 on steam and it hasn't even been released yet. Boycott harder, nerds!"

I'm surprised he didn't rage quit from the internet sooner. He's such a hypocrite and in my eyes those are the worst type of people...

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Cliff is an idiot sometimes. His success is not worth nearly as much as people like to think it is. He isn't that influential.

If Cliff thinks we need someone like Blowfish in this industry, then he's more out of touch then I imagined. His words fall on deaf ears anyway because Fish is a drama magnet . All you have to do is look at his fidgeting smug self satisfied behavior where he insults that guy at the panel with John Blow. He likes this sort of thing, it isn't as if this is just descending upon him out of nowhere. So, I have no idea what Cliff is talking about.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
The thing is, Blowfish will come back. He's probably enjoying this so much in a few weeks he'll come out of hiding and either restart fez 2 or do something else. He'll also have double or triple the media attention due to all the hate generated. He's trended on twitter several times already... much as I hate to admit it, this could all end in his favor if he plays his cards right. But I might be giving him too much credit. Time will tell.