Blizzard Admits that Titan Is Real

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'll be sad if it's Starcraft Online. I'd like to see Blizz try a new IP...

Vhite said:
Robot Overlord said:
How about finishing Diablo 3 already? You know, a game people actually want to fucking play...
Blizzard isnt made of 10 people. They can work on 2 games at once.
Well, it's more than two...

WoW content and expansions.
Starcraft 2 expansions
Diablo 3
...and now this Titan thingy...

Yeah, they are a behemoth, but don't you think this is spreading it a bit thin?

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
Chibz said:
It actually looks like a Starcraft MMO.

Oh, fuck you Blizzard. That's just trying to 1-up Games Workshop. Eat a barrel of dicks.
How can you say that it looks like a Starcraft MMO when the only thing we know about it is the codename, Titan, the potential release date, and the fact that they want to hire new people to help work on it? We don't know anything about it.

OT: I'm rather excited about Titan, whatever it is. It'd be nice to see what the next-gen MMO looks like.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
tautologico said:
Worgen said:
tautologico said:
Worgen said:
heaventorn said:
Worgen said:
pshhh, given how blizz works, by now everyone should know that unless its actually out, its vapor
The only game I can think of that would give any notion to this is Ghost; other then that, this really has no base.

A futuristic scenery would be a nice change of pace, but only time will tell.
you forget the adventure game that was going to tie warcraft 2 in with warcraft 3, almost finished and suddenly thbhbhbh, its gone.
It was almost done, but they thought that although it was not a bad game, it was not great, and so it would be better not to release it.

But if you think about it, Blizzard has a very low number of cancelled projects in relation to what they release.
most companies dont almost finish a game before deciding not to release it but then again most companies dont have a stupid amount of money
At the time, Blizzard was well-off but not the behemoth it is today. Remember this was before Warcraft 3, hence before WoW. They thought it was better to not release a subpar game, even after sinking a good deal of money in it.
they never said it was subpar, they just said it didnt meet their standards, whatever that means, probably for the best tho, point and click games are story heavy

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
ciortas1 said:
BruceyBaby said:
They need to make another Warcraft RTS.
Only if WoW was considered not canon, because it fucked up the lore pretty fucking bad. Also, all their writing as of late has been horrendous, so it's best to simply not hope for another Warcraft RTS. It would simply be a disappointment.
Their writing has been exactly has it's been since Warcraft II. WC3 and TFT were just as cheesy as SC2 if you take off nostalgia glasses.

And lol at "they fucked up the lore." Only real "fuckup" is the mistake Metzen made re: the Eredar. Pretty grievous but not overcomeable.
Chibz said:

Oh, fuck you Blizzard. That's just trying to 1-up Games Workshop. Eat a barrel of dicks.
A.) No, it's not a StarCraft MMO.

B.) Blizzard 1-uped GW 12 years ago.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
heaventorn said:
Worgen said:
pshhh, given how blizz works, by now everyone should know that unless its actually out, its vapor
The only game I can think of that would give any notion to this is Ghost; other then that, this really has no base.

A futuristic scenery would be a nice change of pace, but only time will tell.
Warcraft: Lord of the Clans got cancaled as well, but it was not made by Blizzard.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Jandau said:

Vhite said:
Robot Overlord said:
How about finishing Diablo 3 already? You know, a game people actually want to fucking play...

Starcraft 2 expansions
Diablo 3

Nope. They have their departments for MMOs,RTS and RPGs. If they would dumped lets says, everything about SC2 and send all people who worked there to work on D3 it would not make that great difference in making of D3 because they couldnt do as much as they could do with RTS' because there are people who know better what to do. Or maybe there would be just zerglings instead of fallen in D3.
Simply it would be ineffective and stupid from Blizzard to do such a thing. There arent same people working on every series (ok, some are but I dont think thats that many). They are giant now and they can afford to have large teams of people to work on every game. If they were all working on the one game it would be extremly ineffective and maybe it would even slowed it down.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Chibz said:

It is confrimed the new MMO is new IP so no Starcraft MMO sorry.

Anyways they 1-up Games workshop like 15 years ago...

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Vhite said:
Jandau said:

Vhite said:
Robot Overlord said:

Starcraft 2 expansions
Diablo 3

Nope. They have their departments for MMOs,RTS and RPGs. If they would dumped lets says, everything about SC2 and send all people who worked there to work on D3 it would not make that great difference in making of D3 because they couldnt do as much as they could do with RTS' because there are people who know better what to do. Or maybe there would be just zerglings instead of fallen in D3.
Simply it would be ineffective and stupid from Blizzard to do such a thing. There arent same people working on every series (ok, some are but I dont think thats that many). They are giant now and they can afford to have large teams of people to work on every game. If they were all working on the one game it would be extremly ineffective and maybe it would even slowed it down.
You are right.

Blizzard is currently made up of Five teams:

RTS team: Working on Starcraft 2 now. Interview they said they might work on Warcraft 4 after Starcraft 2 is done.

ARPG team: Working on Diablo 3 (Coded named: hydra).

WoW team: Working on WoW.

Next-gen MMO: Working on Titan (assumed to be code name). Comfirmed it is set in a new IP (meaning not Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo).

Unknowned team: This team is only bliefly mentioned in a interview with VP. Completely no idea what they might be working on.

The last two team doesn't have many memeber. I not even sure if they got out of pre-production yet.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Yeah...if they wanted it kept secret they wouldn't have been talking about it to "potential new recruits".

It better be WarCraft IN SPACE!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Colour me very interested. If they can make new landscapes, new setting with the polish, enjoyment and pleasure of WoW in a completely different universe, then, in my strange mood, I will buy the hell out of it.

Somehow.

Calumon: But I like having you around! : (
Nice thing is is this new one is gonna still be a while. Meantime we can enjoy WoW Cataclysm and D3 without worrying about spending too much in one go.
Those two projection dates for WoW expansions perk my interest. I wanna know what they got on the storyboards for those two.
Calumon, we like having Jack around, too. If worse comes to worst we shall gang up and kidnap him for his own good.

DeadEy3

Sep 1, 2010
Blizzard and FPS? not too sure it is gonna work out... They should stick to what their good at, rts, rpg, and balancing... and hurrying up with Diablo!!!

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
ciortas1 said:
JerrytheBullfrog said:
Mkay...

Killing off every major antagonist by just having a bunch of adventurers come in and murder him is fucking up the lore, there's no way around it. Neither of these: Vashj, Kael'thas, Illidan, Ragnaros, Nefarion, yadda yadda yadda you get where I'm going, did anything in the game except stay in their respective dungeons and scratch their noses until a raid came in and shoved them out of existence. Also, tell me with a straight face they didn't fuck Arthas up in WotLK.

Now, as for Warcraft 3 versus Starcraft 2... First off, Starcraft 2 is structured terribly. Because of the "non-linear" way you can play missions, the game often feels disjointed and even schizophrenic, but let's say that's a game mechanics issue and talk about the story. Oh wait. Literally 80% of the missions add next to nothing to the plot and serve as filler (The colonist and the cheesy jamaican stereotype missions are exactly that), the villains are, frankly, pathetic, and there are huge, gaping plot holes. Looking at how far the story advanced through SC2 even disregarding all the atrocious writing, it's clear that there was as much writing involved as in the first Campaign of Warcraft 3, and that's saying something.

By the way, ask me to go into more depth on any of these points (on SC2) and I will.
Nefarian and Ragnaros didn't exist pre-WoW. Maiev and Akama killed Illidan. And a flaw in game design (which was fixed in Wrath and now Cata) where the villains never actually did anything doesn't actually mess up the lore. Unless you seriously think that, when they make WC4, the "canon" version of events will be "Kael'thas sat on his ass until The Leet Crew came in and slaughtered his guards."

A story constrained by game elements is not "fucking up the lore." Their lore, they can do what they want with it. Hell, remember that the Arthas/Illidan/Burning Legion plot lines were only introduced in WC3. None of it existed beforehand. Do you think WC4 won't start its own plot lines? I think Ghostcrawler said on this exact site somewhere that it'd be nice to have a WC4 to start some new plotlines they could play off of.

SC2 is another example of Blizzard's "gameplay first" philosophy coming, well, first. The writing--the dialogue, the narration--is just as "good" as it's ever been, and the antagonists (Dark Voice, etc) are just as "intimidating" as the Burning Legion was. Or a mysterious voice coming from disembodied armor embedded in ice. Sure, being able to do missions in any order might seem to you as "filler" (though it's arguable if it can be filler if it advances the story and fleshes out the SC2 world, which it does) but it makes for a better gameplay experience.

None of this breaks from how Blizz does things. They've always made the story work around the gameplay as opposed to the other way around. It is not an inherently worse approach, it is a DIFFERENT approach, with its own strengths and weaknesses.

I find the pulp sci-fi approach entertaining and refreshing in a Flash Gordon way, and if it means I get great gameplay atop of it, I don't mind.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Tankichi said:
...So they are just making a WoS? Why don't they try working on new things. They used to be great but it seems very money driven to me.
It is said the new MMO is based on a new IP not Starcraft...

I don't even get why making new games equal very money driven...

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Actual said:
Yeah...if they wanted it kept secret they wouldn't have been talking about it to "potential new recruits".

It better be WarCraft IN SPACE!
Scout Quote from Starcraft:
"Do I look like a Orc?"

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Eatbrainz said:
I think we can expect to be playing this game in around 2027.

Blizzard releases games at the speed of erosion but you can be sure they're always worth it.
Im thinking around 2016.
In the chart it say 2013 for titan, I guessing that is they announcement/check point. When they check if the game is going to work or not and decide to announce or cancal the game.
and usually 3 years after the announcement is the release.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
mikozero said:
the most interesting thing about that list is twofold:

1. there are no WoW expansions slated after Titans launch date.

2. if the next expansion continues the Cataclysm/Old Gods/New War story arc across another 5 levels with Azshara as the next big bad after Deathwings defeat (as many people suspect) the next and last one on that list (if it were back to a 10 level per expansion format) would take players to the mythical level 100 which has always been mentioned around as a possible end point for WoW and even on occasion...the point at which you would be strong enough to fight Sargeras...

then there's the Demon Hunter training foreshadowing in Darkshore in Cataclysm...the old TBC "Army of the Light" prediction from the Naaru...the other portal in Nagrand...Argus...THE LEGION

bit freaky how it all kinda fits togther huh ?

but i'm sure you all think Blizzard will compete with itself and let Wow die a long slow death as it loses all (franchise) integrity...

right ? : \
1.) So you expect them to date out all the expansion till the end of time on the chart?
dating all the way to 4 years after seem reasonable. You doesn't expect them to date 10 years in advance do you?

2.) Completely your on idea on what is going to happen.