Blizzard Apologizes for Diablo III Launch Troubles

markisb

May 31, 2010
Looks like pirating a game these days gives you a more pleasurable experience then dropping the dough for it.
i bet johnny pirate has none of these issues.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
ManThatYouFear said:
"ONLINE DRM CREATED PRIACY"

^^ i wonder how many people will say this before threads end.
Well, I won't say it created piracy, but it sure isn't doing anything to stop it.

Rouzeki

Feb 11, 2009
*wipes its forehead, yawning*

y'know, ive been working so hard on other projects, I barely have my D.P.T.E. engine finished.

its meant to take the whines and tears over an always online games launch being so terrible for its players, and convert said energy into sunshines, rainbows, and enough energy to do what i need to do daily.

They told us single player centric folks that we don't matter to them a long time ago. They outright told us "if you play it single player, your doing it WRONG!" We have torchlight 2 in the future for that. but blizzard still won cause they gotcha money. I called it. although its still calling a torpedo careening towards a beach of ducks...

Sorry, am i broken record? I could have used this engine myself back in october-november.

Not that it'll matter, by now the server issues have subsided. remember, this is one of the better companies who can do this. see how they fared? wait for Id and the rest.

EDIT: my brain forgot Path of Exile is always online as well...but it didn't kick my childhood down the well and then ask me for full price for less features then I had IN my childhood.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
ManThatYouFear said:
"ONLINE DRM CREATED PRIACY"

^^ i wonder how many people will say this before threads end.
It didn't create piracy but it's going to drive more potential customers into the arms of the pirates.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
So, so, so, so glad I decided against buying Diablo 1 and 2 the other day. Drop the DRM bullshit and I'll consider ever giving you a cent, Blizz. Until then, you'll get nothing but bad recommendations from me to anyone I know.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
None of my friends have been able to play more than 2 hours since release. Reported amount of users that have been unable to play the $60 game they purchase? According to Yahoo and their report this morning, more than 70%.
Link please. 70% not able to play is absolutely made up statistic unless you substantiate it.

I can only say that yesterday on EU realms there were no mayor delays logging in or loading character list. So after 2 days of consistent log in issues I saw mayor improvement. Given my absolutely unremarkable connection (as in freaking average for EU area) I can assume server side does indeed perform much better after 2 days.

I have absolutely no issue in good reporting, look up my comments on relevant post two days ago. Blizzard have indeed and no question about it, underestimated the required capacity.

But once that is said, we also have to say what you see above. They have reacted and at least in EU results seem to be there.

PingoBlack

Aug 6, 2011
Grey Day for Elcia said:
So, so, so, so glad I decided against buying Diablo 1 and 2 the other day. Drop the DRM bullshit and I'll consider ever giving you a cent, Blizz. Until then, you'll get nothing but bad recommendations from me to anyone I know.
Again this same misconception that bad press keeps propagating.
Diablo 3 uses server ran game system.

It doesn't mean I'm saying it is not DRM, quite the opposite, DRM is a feature of server ran games. Among many other things. But there is one mayor distinction.

DRM in server ran games is not an optional requirement, it is pretty much mandatory. Blizzard has clearly explained that Diablo 3 is a server ran game. So you really have no basis in hoping they can "drop it". You have to decide weather a server ran game is for you only.

But removing the log in requirement ... Pretty much not gonna happen. It would compromise RMAH and no company is dumb to actively cause fraud in real money systems. That crap is real and has legal consequences, unlike fake gold.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
PingoBlack said:
DRM in server ran games is not an optional requirement, it is pretty much mandatory.
Only, pirates managed to crack the beta and play without the servers thanks to some emulation work.

You're free to do as you like. Me? I'm not giving a cent to people who want me to log in to their servers and remain online at all times to play my single player game.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Abedeus said:
Sylveria said:
Shitty, rushed game made by soulless corporate drones who have no concern about the quality of the game they make or consumer satisfaction is shitty.

Personally I can't wait till they release Diablo III Gold which, for a nominal monthly fee, will allow you access to a higher quality server with better drop rates and exp multipliers as well as two new classes only available to Gold membership holders.
Did you play the game?

No?

Then shut up and don't say it's shitty without having played it. Rushed? It took 10 years to release, and was announced in... 2008 or 2009? That's not rushed.

I remember problems Half Life 2 had after release. Game was unplayable not for the first few hours, like D3, but DAYS.
D3 was unplayable for the first 24 hours for the majority of people.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
SenseOfTumour said:
As much as I don't have sympathy for big business, there's no real sense in building double the number of servers for the launch, when, given a week or so it'll have calmed down to 'normal levels'.
Agreed, which is precisely why they should have let people play off-line.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Well Blizzard
Maybe you should have just not made a connection required to play single player, than you wouldn't have such a large problem
Jeez, they waste all that money doing it, and it won't stop piracy at all, what was even the point?

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
Abedeus said:
Sylveria said:
Shitty, rushed game made by soulless corporate drones who have no concern about the quality of the game they make or consumer satisfaction is shitty.

Personally I can't wait till they release Diablo III Gold which, for a nominal monthly fee, will allow you access to a higher quality server with better drop rates and exp multipliers as well as two new classes only available to Gold membership holders.
Did you play the game?

No?

Then shut up and don't say it's shitty without having played it. Rushed? It took 10 years to release, and was announced in... 2008 or 2009? That's not rushed.

I remember problems Half Life 2 had after release. Game was unplayable not for the first few hours, like D3, but DAYS.
D3 was unplayable for the first 24 hours for the majority of people.
It wasnt even remotely 24 hours. The servers were up for Asia and EU less than 3 hours after launch and stayed up for the rest of the day. The Americas servers took a bit longer, but once they were up they were up the rest of the day.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
shintakie10 said:
Except the part where Battlenet NA itself went down about midday (a bit earlier) and was not back up again until 11:45pm Blizzard time. 15 minutes short of the 24 hour mark.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I knew there would be problems. From the moment it launched, it still only took about 2 hours of paste-enter-ok(repeat) smashing to get into the game. In the meanwhile, getting twice in to the character screen, followed by a sudden disconnect were kinda morale breaking though. And the next evening, there were similar problems, but not for as long. Seems like Europe didn't have nearly as much trouble as people elsewhere though.

And after finally getting the game. After 12 years of waiting, and then counting days for the release, playing through the beta with all classes, and having ridiculously high expectations. The game itself:
I LOVE IT

PingoBlack

Aug 6, 2011
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Only, pirates managed to crack the beta and play without the servers thanks to some emulation work.

You're free to do as you like. Me? I'm not giving a cent to people who want me to log in to their servers and remain online at all times to play my single player game.
You don't seem to understand my point. Cracking and emulation are just not the same thing.

Cracking will give you the exact same game, just without DRM limitation. Emulation, on other hand, gives you a completely different game. Because emulator has to provide game mechanics, rules and item data.

World of Warcraft on emulated (private) servers is crap, mostly because it has no rules. Same goes for Diablo 3, emulated game has no set rules.

That is why I dislike people using language while ignoring the meaning of words. It completely breaks communication when you equate emulation with cracking or at least badly oversimplifies the reality.