Blizzard Auctioning World of Warcraft Server Blades for Charity

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Blizzard Auctioning World of Warcraft Server Blades for Charity

Blizzard is auctioning 2000 retired World of Warcraft server blades, with proceeds going to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

You've always wanted to own a piece of history but you just can't decide which era you'd like to have propped up on the mantle. How about one that didn't actually exist? Now's your big chance, with these retired Hewlett Packard ProLiant server blades that once served as the home for World of Warcraft realms across North America and Europe.

"World of Warcraft realms are like the virtual neighborhoods of the game's community - they contain the spaces where millions of players have made friendships, forged friendly rivalries, and created lasting memories," said Blizzard Entertainment CEO Mike Morhaime. "Each winner in this auction will own a small monument to those collective experiences."

Not only that, but you'll be doing a solid for charity too. Net proceeds from the auction will go to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital [Mike Morhaime], which specializes in research and treatment of pediatric cancer and other serious childhood diseases.

Roughly 2000 of these server blades, which once housed 500 different World of Warcraft realms, will be on the block, each one inside a special windowed case sporting the World of Warcraft logo and a signed commemorative plaque. The auctions will be held on eBay [http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=blizzard*auction] in four separate blocks beginning on October 17. I suggest you clear space on your credit card. Lots of space.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Jeze, there's a bunch of charity stuff going on.
I saw this, I open another site, and see a tf2 charity for st jude i believe.
Oh you know how we love to give

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I wonder if any of those old server blades have the Diablo II logo on them. I played on one of the vanilla launch realms that used an old ghetto Diablo II server (Uldum... it had some pretty serious server issues back in the day).

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Luke5515 said:
Jeze, there's a bunch of charity stuff going on.
I saw this, I open another site, and see a tf2 charity for st jude i believe.
Oh you know how we love to give
It's that time of year. A lot of retailers are doing charity things right now, too.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
One of the Facebook posters mentioned the idea that Bobby Kotick wouldn't be involved as he would just keep the money. That person doesn't know Bobby that well. The guy supports one of the best charities out there, besides St Jude's, that helps soldiers coming home from battle recover from their experiences. Something the government itself has yet to do.
This is a cool thing. I hope they sell like hotcakes.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Call it what you will, it'll make a bundle for a good cause. Hell, I'd drop 30 or 40 bucks on one of these things myself and I don't even play WoW - which doesn't really mean much, because 30 or 40 bucks won't even come close to getting one. Oh well.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
Instead of letting blizzard sell you trash for a tax break give to charity yourself.
I remember last time blizzard did something like this, it was for a private school board(Also known as helping the rich)