Blizzard Celebrates 20 Years of Diablo With Events Across All Games

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Blizzard Celebrates 20 Years of Diablo With Events Across All Games

From World of Warcraft to Overwatch, Blizzard's biggest titles are celebrating the 20th anniversary of Diablo.

Blizzard's Diablo will turn 20 at the end of this month, and in celebration of the franchise's anniversary, Blizzard has announced a special event that will touch on all its major games.

Diablo III will be getting the biggest addition in the form of a Darkening of Tristram event, in which players will be able to visit a "reimagined" version of the original game's cathedral.

Overwatch will be getting some new sprays and a new player icon, while Heroes of the Storm will have a new brawl map and portrait and World of Warcraft players will see Diablo creatures. You can check out the full details below:

Diablo III: Recapture the feeling of your first play through of the original Diablo with The Darkening of Tristram tribute event. Venture through a reimagined version of the original cathedral in Diablo III and keep an eye out for some familiar items.

Heroes of the Storm: The battle for the High Heavens continues, and a new Diablo-themed portrait is up for grabs! Can you emerge victorious on this hectic new brawl map?

Hearthstone: In this Tavern Brawl, a hooded stranger awaits, holding a grim deck in his hands. Will you unravel the secrets surrounding this dark wanderer?

Overwatch: Bring the battle for Sanctuary into the fight for the future with in-game sprays representing your favorite Diablo III classes-along with a new player icon modeled after the Lord of Terror!

StarCraft II: Put the Lord of Terror to work for you with a Diablo-themed worker portrait.

World of Warcraft: Strange things are afoot in the world of Azeroth as denizens of Sanctuary cross over into an unfamiliar world.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Ah yes, because the last time the Dark Wanderer entered a tavern, that ended so well for everyone in it. ;p

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
When I read the title I got really excited to see what Blizzard was doing . . . for the Diablo games. Doh.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Played the d1 event in d3 on the ptr and it was intensely underwhelming. They didn't actually do much work at all so much as rebalannce existing dungeons and add a pixelation filter.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
It's always neat that they're doing this and adding free stuff, but I was hoping for more than sprays and portraits.

HumanShale

Sep 23, 2016
Forget this, they need a Twitch live stream like the Sonic Anniversary.

"That's the sound of 20 years of Diablo."

*silence*

barbieboy

Dec 28, 2016
Will this be added on the next season? I can't wait to get back Old Tristram! Left a lot of good memories back in D1 so I expect this update will put me back to sleepless nights.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
barbieboy said:
Will this be added on the next season? I can't wait to get back Old Tristram! Left a lot of good memories back in D1 so I expect this update will put me back to sleepless nights.
Darkening of Tristram will be an annual event, only accessible every January. At least that's my understanding.

barbieboy

Dec 28, 2016
StatusNil said:
barbieboy said:
Darkening of Tristram will be an annual event, only accessible every January. At least that's my understanding.
The event was just recently added in the patch earlier this day. I never knew that this is only a limited-time event, too so thanks for clarifying that for me.

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
Blizzard 20 years of Diablo and that's all you offer us? What originality ....... Bravo Blizzard. It's very sad to realize that you neglect a game like that. Ubisoft celebrates 30 years and they offer GAMES, 7 in total. So ok, they are not recent generations but nevertheless, it is a gesture.