Blizzard Cheekily Delays Diablo 3 to 2012

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
They can refine it all they like, still doesn't change the fact that my internet is so shit that I'll never be able to play the damn thing anyway.

Take your time Blizz. Take your time.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
I still have all the original Blizzard games since Humans and Orcs, it seems a lot of people don't know Blizzard releases the games when they are ready, that is keep pushing the release date.

So far I've heard of several graphical bugs and certain types of lag, that will take some time to remove.

Also they never said they would release it in 2011, just that they really really hoped it.

Also the console port was a thing they decided upon in the last stages of alpha, not something they set out to do.

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
I haven't been interested in Diablo 3 since they said they don't want a dark and gritty atmosphere. Yeah, most games have gritty graphics, but that's beside the point (and those aren't for aesthetic reasons). All in all, I'm not surprised they are delaying it, I don't know WHAT they are actually DOING to the game that takes so fucking long, but I don't really care anymore.

WabbitTwacks

Dec 8, 2010
Daemonate said:
- Custom skill points with immense replayability (no skill points in D3)
- custom stat points so every character can be unique (no stat points in D3)
Well, i'm not gonna miss the stat points. Because only a few classes benefited from stat point distribution in D2, one of them being the druid because you could play either as a tank, a caster or a melee dps. Barb didn't really benefit from it, just spend it all on strength and vitality, put some in dex to hit better, no energy needed at all (theoretically a throw barb could have dex as the main stat, but throw barbs were pretty weak compared to melee barbs.) Also it was annoying that you had to put points in strength for Sorc or Necro just to be able to equip better armor...

The skill point system wasn't the best as well. You could max only 5 skills from a total of 30 and while there were some skills which were good with just a couple of levels, most of them were any good only if maxed, if you wanted to do something in Hell difficulty. Also there were some filler spells which were basically the same only one of them being a bit stronger, so why spend more then 1 skill point in the weaker one? Luckily the synergies fixed some of that stuff.

I was first put off by the lack of skill tree in D3 but I have come to like the idea. As for all characters being the same - not quite. You only have 6 active and 3 passive spell slots, so there is potential for many builds. How many times did you have to re-roll your char in D2 just because by lvl 40 you realised that you have botched your build? How frustrating was that? (Of course on battle.net you could get to level 70 in seconds, but think about single player). D2 was and still is an awesome game, but it had it's flaws. D3 has done a lot of good stuff with the gameplay and interface. Remember how D2 was different from D1? And it was a lot different.

Jovip

Aug 12, 2010
See i would be really angry at this, having waited years upon years for the game to come out. but you know what. i just don't care anymore. I'm taking a very serious stance and not buying the game until their is an option for offline singleplayer.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
They need to work on the PC port I see...
Zing!

With the controller announcement they showed their hand that this game was designed from the ground up for consoles.

And anyway there is no offline single player, no lan multiplayer. It isn't really diablo, it is more like blizzard's take on guild wars. Just remember kids, if you don't connect to their server you can't get their "important marketing messages".

D3 no, Torchlight 2 yes.
I dunno what console you've been playing, but I have run into ONE game that requires me to be online to play it on the console. This ONLY exception is Final Fantasy 11 - a horrible port that was an MMO. Even other MMO's have had offline modes for consoles (Phantasy Star Universe).

Blizzard is tainted by Activision. They don't care like they used to, they just want to make as much money as possible before their cash cow (WoW) is dead. If they did care, they would update the engine from the ground up, allowing for more interesting mechanics and less ghetto patches to make the illusion of interesting mechanics. Its like ever since Ulduar they've just been using those mechanics, over and over again in Cata, but with slight (and buggy) variations. Cata was supposed to rebuild the world, and the game, from the ground up. Instead they gave everything fresh paint, and instead of "Kill 10 boars", its now "kill 10 boars with a machine."

Diablo 3 is the same. Gold farming was a source of a LOT of money. Why not include it in D3 so Blizzard gets a cut. 3 cuts to be exact...

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
And yet if they hadn't people would be whining that they're rushing it through.

rembrandtqeinstein said:
D3 no, Torchlight 2 yes.
Diablo III bad, Diablo I*: Added Bloom Remake good?

*You know, the shit one where enemies could permanently reduce your health, you had 3 characters who differed only in what worse-than-useless ability they had and you couldn't actually buy the best items because the required cash would take all your inv space?

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
PingoBlack said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
With the controller announcement they showed their hand that this game was designed from the ground up for consoles.
Bullshit, I'm sorry to have to say it.

If you had access to Beta test you would probably know controllers are not supported at all. But don't mind me, I'm more and more certain you actually work for Torchlight 2 PR team ...

At least your catchphrase makes it seem so.

Bradeck said:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/10/torchlight-2-drops-to-july-console-ports-of-original-caused-delay/

*Drops mic and walks off*
Oh ... You just ruined the PR!
Nailed it.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
*que Vader NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!*

I SO wanted to waste my christmas on this :|

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
Is this really a surprise?

Everyone knows how Blizz operates when it comes to releases.

sad_panda

Jul 3, 2009
WabbitTwacks said:
Daemonate said:
Well, i'm not gonna miss the stat points. Because only a few classes benefited from stat point distribution in D2, one of them being the druid because you could play either as a tank, a caster or a melee dps. Barb didn't really benefit from it, just spend it all on strength and vitality, put some in dex to hit better, no energy needed at all (theoretically a throw barb could have dex as the main stat, but throw barbs were pretty weak compared to melee barbs.) Also it was annoying that you had to put points in strength for Sorc or Necro just to be able to equip better armor...

The skill point system wasn't the best as well. You could max only 5 skills from a total of 30 and while there were some skills which were good with just a couple of levels, most of them were any good only if maxed, if you wanted to do something in Hell difficulty. Also there were some filler spells which were basically the same only one of them being a bit stronger, so why spend more then 1 skill point in the weaker one? Luckily the synergies fixed some of that stuff.

I was first put off by the lack of skill tree in D3 but I have come to like the idea. As for all characters being the same - not quite. You only have 6 active and 3 passive spell slots, so there is potential for many builds. How many times did you have to re-roll your char in D2 just because by lvl 40 you realised that you have botched your build? How frustrating was that? (Of course on battle.net you could get to level 70 in seconds, but think about single player). D2 was and still is an awesome game, but it had it's flaws. D3 has done a lot of good stuff with the gameplay and interface. Remember how D2 was different from D1? And it was a lot different.
So, instead of adding some kind of respec mechanism (could cost a lot to add a money sink for the INGAME currency and/or be on a timer)and try to tweak the trees to make them a little more intuitive they just get rid of them? Wow, that's... weak. Yes, D2 was a lot different than D1, but the difference is that it mostly added more features and polished some rough edges here and there. In D3 they took a lot of cool stuff which we liked about D2 and just thrashed it. Another thing I want to say which is not mentioned very often: Have you noticed the ressource system in D3? Yeah, it's so cool, every character has a new ressource system, it's gonna be sooo different to play with each class..... except now every character is a god damn rogue with an energy bar so that you dont ever need to care about your ressources... have you seen how fast those things regenerate? You could just get rid of it and make it all cooldown-based, wouldn't make much of a difference at this point to be honest.

At the end of the day, D3 could never match the expectations everyone built up in 11 years of waiting, still, everyone and their mother will play D3 regardless of how much they screw it up and everything we have seen is still early beta, so things MAY change and i really hope they change. Especially the difficulty... i really, really don't want to plow through normal mode just to get SOME kind of challenge in the other modes in which i'll already have seen everything. I swear, if Diablo or whoever is the final boss of D3 will be a pushover even in normal mode, i will burn Mike Morhaines house. Be honest, the first time you played D2 in SP, even the first sidebosses in Act 1 were pretty tough... Don't let me get started on Act 2. (Damn those Snakes.) In D3? I have yet to see anyone in their beta coverage die to the skeleton king... ever.

I don't know how you feel, but i am hugely disappointed. At first, I thought I could get over those things(real money Ah, no talent trees, ffs no necro!) if I see the beta but now that the beta is live, I feel even worse than before. Titan Quest and Torchlight etc. were all great games, but everytime i played them, i missed the flavor and epicness of Diablo. Now I get Diablo and it's kinda meh.. As of now, D3 makes me a really sad panda.

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
I was already getting worried they might release a half-assed product, but this proved me wrong. Too bad I can't spend next Christmas playing D3, though.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
PingoBlack said:
XT inc said:
I just don't understand blizzard with the revenues they rob of people for playing wow they take in more than enough profits to pay for Elbow grease made of ,diamonds and platinum, to squeek a full game like this out years ago.
The other way around, IMO.

The very reason they make those billions is the fact they always release When It's Ready (TM).
^This. The one thing I must absolutely commend Blizzard for is they tend to not rush their games. One wishes they've applied the same mindset to recent WoW expansions, but alas, ActiVision's whip seems to have cracked one too many times for them to stick to their guns on that one.

Still, despite not being a Diablo fan myself, I'd say count your blessings, I myself would rather play a finished game later than a broken down piece of garbage now.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
Thing is eventually Blizzard will actually have to stick to a schedule otherwise the constant push-backs will just make people lose interest.

WabbitTwacks

Dec 8, 2010
sad_panda said:
WabbitTwacks said:
Daemonate said:

So, instead of adding some kind of respec mechanism (could cost a lot to add a money sink for the INGAME currency and/or be on a timer)and try to tweak the trees to make them a little more intuitive they just get rid of them? Wow, that's... weak. Yes, D2 was a lot different than D1, but the difference is that it mostly added more features and polished some rough edges here and there. In D3 they took a lot of cool stuff which we liked about D2 and just thrashed it. Another thing I want to say which is not mentioned very often: Have you noticed the ressource system in D3? Yeah, it's so cool, every character has a new ressource system, it's gonna be sooo different to play with each class..... except now every character is a god damn rogue with an energy bar so that you dont ever need to care about your ressources... have you seen how fast those things regenerate? You could just get rid of it and make it all cooldown-based, wouldn't make much of a difference at this point to be honest.

At the end of the day, D3 could never match the expectations everyone built up in 11 years of waiting, still, everyone and their mother will play D3 regardless of how much they screw it up and everything we have seen is still early beta, so things MAY change and i really hope they change. Especially the difficulty... i really, really don't want to plow through normal mode just to get SOME kind of challenge in the other modes in which i'll already have seen everything. I swear, if Diablo or whoever is the final boss of D3 will be a pushover even in normal mode, i will burn Mike Morhaines house. Be honest, the first time you played D2 in SP, even the first sidebosses in Act 1 were pretty tough... Don't let me get started on Act 2. (Damn those Snakes.) In D3? I have yet to see anyone in their beta coverage die to the skeleton king... ever.

I don't know how you feel, but i am hugely disappointed. At first, I thought I could get over those things(real money Ah, no talent trees, ffs no necro!) if I see the beta but now that the beta is live, I feel even worse than before. Titan Quest and Torchlight etc. were all great games, but everytime i played them, i missed the flavor and epicness of Diablo. Now I get Diablo and it's kinda meh.. As of now, D3 makes me a really sad panda.
Well, I hope that this is just the beta difficulty setting, because it seams kind of easy, you are right on that one. Also a lot of stuff is missing (the runes, level requirements for items) so the full game should provide more fun and stuff.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Andronicus said:
They can refine it all they like, still doesn't change the fact that my internet is so shit that I'll never be able to play the damn thing anyway.

Take your time Blizz. Take your time.
I'm currently on a school internet connection in China, and I'm only limited by the fact that I'm playing on a crappy laptop. You should be fine, really.

rembrandtqeinstein said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
They need to work on the PC port I see...
Zing!

And anyway there is no offline single player, no lan multiplayer. It isn't really diablo, it is more like blizzard's take on guild wars. Just remember kids, if you don't connect to their server you can't get their "important marketing messages".

D3 no, Torchlight 2 yes.
D3 when the internet is up, TL2 on planes.

Having been playing the beta it seems pretty much like a Diablo built for PC to me. The whiners are pretty unjustified, but then again that's to be expected :)

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
Before anybody else can throw in their two cents. IT'S BLOODY BLIZZARD. Are we even surprised that it's going to be in 2012? The very moment they announce it, it usually takes them an extra year.

And again, only WoW was the one that came out on time because they already had it set out before they made any commercials for it.

But again, it's Blizzard, and again, no surprise if it takes some time.