Blizzard Cleans Up GAME's Mess

Mr.Wizard

Apr 22, 2010
Why was anyone preordering stuff from Game anyway? This move into administration has been coming for ages and anyone who was even slightly paying attention should have cancelled their preorder and gotten their money back before now

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
a very good move on Blizz's part. it gets them good PR, and it makes them not look like dicks

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
The Blizz hate is rather out of control, when it comes down to it, Blizzard have always made quality games, most of the ire on here comes from when they merged with Activision, and I think most of the blame can be laid at Mr Kotick's door, preferably in a paper bag, with some poop in it, on fire.

You lot realise that if Blizzard had done fuck all, there'd not be two pages of complaints about them? I actually was cynical myself, when I read the post about GAME cancelling preorders, no refunds, I thought 'Blizzard could step in here and get some PR, but I bet they won't.'

In the end, I imagine many of the people who want D3, really want it, and they feel screwed by GAME, not Blizzard, and probably would have purchased it again eventually.

To me, they've done a good thing, of course it's good business sense too, but that doesn't detract from them not leaving a bunch of potential customers screwed over by someone else.

Even if you only put down ten or twenty bucks, it's probably made it cheaper to buy from them than anyone else. If you paid up front in full, however, then I imagine Blizzard just made your day and you can't believe a massive corporation is bothering to care.

Oh and I played D3 for a while last night, one disconnect, but immediately got back in and carried on. Got a Barbarian to 9 and Witch Doctor to 8, firstly with a REAL ID friend from WOW, and then by just opening my game to the public.

Everything is much smoother and simpler than D2 in terms of connecting to a game and to people. Also, they seem to have really sorted out any loot issues, in that when enemies are killed, it generates loot for each player in your group, so you can loot everything, knowing you're not ninjaing, yet at the same time, if you're feeling nice, and a bow drops, you can trade with the Demon Hunter and offer it to them :)

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
SenseOfTumour said:
The Blizz hate is rather out of control, when it comes down to it, Blizzard have always made quality games, most of the ire on here comes from when they merged with Activision, and I think most of the blame can be laid at Mr Kotick's door, preferably in a paper bag, with some poop in it, on fire.
This is very true. And this story shows it. Note that the headline reads "Blizzard Cleans Up GAME's Mess", not Activision Blizzard. Activision couldn't be involved in a classy PR move, now could they? :p

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
So if you paid for the game with a bank card, they put £40 directly back into your account? Or do you get a sort of store credit thing?

If it's the former then wow, just wow, that is pretty decent of them.

If if's the latter then well, I am not surprised much at all, 'here you can now give us more money, enjoy'.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Its a small part of people overall. And lets not forget they are sitting in offices build from money. So yes its a great way to make a good PR stunt and make even more good with fans.
But lets be honnest Blizzard already stand at Exalted with pretty much all gamers around the world.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
So if you paid for the game with a bank card, they put £40 directly back into your account? Or do you get a sort of store credit thing?

If it's the former then wow, just wow, that is pretty decent of them.

If if's the latter then well, I am not surprised much at all, 'here you can now give us more money, enjoy'.
"This credit will be applied to the payment method used for the digital purchase."

Not the Battle.Net account. Payment method.

Axyun

Oct 31, 2011
Good move from Blizzard. Save for a few very vocal haters, just about anyone with a computer is playing D3 or waiting for their copy to ship. Mine should arrive today in the afternoon.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Ahaha, I love the "hottest night of the year"-line they put in there. Modest much?
Well, good on the costumers and on Blizzard, I guess. Positive press like that will likely more than make up for giving away a few copies' money worth.
Personally, I don't care too much. I'm not a "hater" of Blizzard by any stretch, but I dislike their online-heavy methods these days. I haven't bought a Blizzard game since Frozen Throne and I don't feel poorer for the lack of playing them.
WoW as well as "Battlenet 2.0"-DRMs really turned me off their products. You know what I like? gog.com, Humble Bundle and the "used games"-section on amazon and similar sites.

EDIT: And gog just released Silver, tweaked to work with W7. Well damn, I guess they were right after all, this is going to be the hottest night of the year.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
tony2077 said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
tony2077 said:
Keslen said:
Now if only they'd fix that issue where your single player game crashes if your internet connection dies.
you want them to fix your crappy connection?
He wants them to fix their totalitarian DRM. Blizzard does understand that LANs exist, right? I mean Starcraft II basically single-handedly killed the LAN party, not to mention the ramifications it had on the tournament scene. Diablo 3 is doing the same. Why does Ubisoft get grated for this but Blizzard gets away with it?
how is being online to play this game so evil
Because having to be online to play a game by myself that I paid $100 essentially makes my investment worthless. They're not providing me with a product anymore, they're giving me permission to use their product. It shows a blatant disregard for their fanbase without internet connections, it's cocky assuming that their system will definitely work for everybody, and it means when those servers get switched off, my disc I paid for becomes as worthless as a coaster. I don't want to support a company that think that's good design.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Funkamander said:
Keslen said:
Now if only they'd fix that issue where your single player game crashes if your internet connection dies.
I think I've found your problem. You're confusing a single-player game with an online game that can be played on your own.

Do you get mad when Guild Wars 1 boots you off the servers when your connection dies? No? Because it's an online game that you can play on your own if you want?
I think I've found YOUR problem. You're confusing a single player game with a very robust and well implemented multi-player mode (Diablo) with a semi-MMO (Guild Wars). Diablo has never been a multi-player game primarily, the focus was always the single player game. And there are some of us who don't feel like our single player game should be dependent on an internet connection to a remote server.

That said, this is still a pretty cool move on Blizzard/Activision's part. This wasn't their mess to clean up, but stepping up to it was a good move for them.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Lol at the people saying "blizzard single handedly killed lan parties!", which is ironic seeing as lan parties usually doesn't have any internet connection..(*sarcasm*) Sitting in the same room with the guys you're playing with is always better, and it really doesn't matter if you're connected to the internet or not in the process. And now that blizz is adding "resume from replay" feature in hots, we really don't have any reason to whine about it anymore, even if the internet should cut for a second in a large tournament.

Blizzard is the only one of two companies who get their costumers (the other being valve). Yes, they are owned by activision who..doesn't.. But that hasn't stopped them from churning out the best games and costumer service in the industry. And stories like in this article only adds to strengthen that image.

Apr 28, 2008
tony2077 said:
Keslen said:
It doesn't matter how good your connection is. If their connection is flaky, everyone's crap out of luck [http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/diablo-iii/1224659p1.html].

Not being able to play single-player because servers are down is just... stupid.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Damn that money grabbing greedy Blizzard with their auction house and their pet store this is outr-

oohh...

Free games you say.
huh, you'd think Blizzard actually might not be such a evil corporation after all.

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
eventhorizon525 said:
Guess I just find effectively pay-to-win options disappointing to say the least, since it basically cuts out the feeling of achievement you get from finding/unlocking everything on your own. And while yes people like me don't have to use the money shop, it will effect us none the less, and make the trading scene more frustrating. If you can tie real money value to an item (legitimately), people are going to more often compare items based on those prices, and there is going to be less wiggle room than the more barter or alternative currency method originally employed.

However I can't argue that this isn't the best choice to do from Blizzard's perspective, it does reenforce some (imo) unfortunate trends in gaming.

captcha: easy as cake; well yes, I do think people being able to buy the best items ruins the fun of the game.
It's not pay to win though...buying from an in-game NPC is more pay to win then this. They just changed the currency. For it to be pay to win, the items have to be spawned into the game with money: These items are still crafted/found/w'e by players, but rather then sell them for virtual promissory notes, they are selling them for paper promissory notes.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Bat Vader said:
tony2077 said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
tony2077 said:
Keslen said:
He wants them to fix their totalitarian DRM. Blizzard does understand that LANs exist, right? I mean Starcraft II basically single-handedly killed the LAN party, not to mention the ramifications it had on the tournament scene. Diablo 3 is doing the same. Why does Ubisoft get grated for this but Blizzard gets away with it?
how is being online to play this game so evil
Not everyone has a great internet connection and people should not be punished because of it. The same exact thing happened when Assassins Creed 2 was released. People had to be connected to the internet to play the game. I believe AC2 was patched later on though so people could play it without having to always be connected to the internet.

If someone wants to play the campaign by themselves by making their session private why should they still have to be connected to the internet? Hopefully Blizzard patches in an offline mode in the future.
Don't forget that Ubisoft's servers went down for a few days locking everyone who had supported the game out from playing it. The same could easily happen for Diablo 3 if Anon wants to DDOS them.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
John Funk said:
eventhorizon525 said:
Amnestic said:
I've not played Diablo 3 at all, but as I understand it you're constantly connected to the auction house - an online feature. You're never playing all by yourself. Doesn't really matter what you 'intend', you're still technically playing with others by design.
Which is actually what most people complaining about D3 have an issue with; the whole RMAH. Given that the previous installments were very friendly toward the single player option offline, and were quite harsh in blocking any sort of virtual goods/real money exchange, this sudden reversal is unwelcome.
The RMAH from the beginning has been the thing I have the *least* problems with. D2 had RMT out the yin-yang on shady third party sites, and Blizzard couldn't really do much to stop it.

So, they did the sensible thing and cut out the third party black market directly. It was going to happen anyway, why not make it legitimate?
Thank you for a more competent post that makes a good point rather than uses any D3 news to bash Blizz for the way they protect their IP.