Blizzard Confirms Cataclysm Release Date

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Blizzard Confirms Cataclysm Release Date

The rumored release date for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Cataclysm-Collectors-Pc/dp/B003O6N74S/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286203104&sr=1-1] isn't just a rumor anymore.

Last Friday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103940-Rumor-WoWs-Cataclysm-Just-Around-the-Corner], we saw more than a bit of circumstantial evidence that indicated Cataclysm, the third expansion to mega-MMO World of Warcraft, would be hitting shelves at the beginning of December.

The evidence was right on the money. Today, Blizzard announced [http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/press/pressreleases.html?101004] that Cataclysm will be launching onto the hard-drives of WoW players everywhere December 7th.

"Cataclysm includes the best content we've ever created for World of Warcraft. It's not just an expansion, but a re-creation of much of the original Azeroth, complete with epic new high-level adventures for current players and a redesigned leveling experience for those just starting out," said Blizzard big boss Mike Morhaime in a statement.

"With the help of our beta testers, we're putting on the final polish, and we look forward to welcoming gamers around the world to enjoy it in just a couple of months."

WoW's previous two expansions - Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King - shattered PC sales records upon launch, and it's likely that Cataclysm will follow suit.

It seems that many college students will be facing their own personal Cataclysms, however, as the disaster strikes the world of Warcraft right at the onset of finals season. But come on, guys, what's more important: getting a good grade or getting your Rogue to level 85, huh?

(Blizzard EU [http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/press/pressreleases.html?101004])

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Can't wait. Been saving up for this for a while, and I've just found myself unemployed. Awesome...

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Well, that explains the odd dates I got when I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition through Amazon...

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I see theres going to be a LOT of failures this year... My condolences to the professors... Unless they get distracted by Cataclysm too!!

Crazy College Guy plan to get out of work/get laid. I think so

*Gets funnel, 2 cases of beer, and bra*

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
I could wait for Christmas to get this, but I think that's too long of a wait. Getting Collector's Addition ASAP.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Thats good for me though, cause I will get the game a week later after finals. Hopefully all the rush to start new characters and content will have slowed down a little bit.

cant freaking wait!

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I have joined WoW again for this but i've promised my dad that I do my homework and revision before I go on.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Wow... I'm a casual WoW player but found this news to be rather exciting... Guess I'm more infested than I thought...

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
HA! I just took a weeks holiday starting Dec 7 and now I see this. Guess I shouldn't make any plans for that week.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
At most, I'll take that Friday off work. However, I'm sure many, many people will take that whole week off, hit the midnight release, and play the damn game for 48 hours straight. I will not be phased when one of them dies like with WotLK.

Nyce1

Jun 25, 2010
So workplaces will be ghost towns that day. Dec 7th is officially WoW skip work/school day! Get your excuses ready!

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
finally! Its not that I care about cataclysm, its that I care that after cataclysm releases, blizzard gets to work on heart of the swarm!

SniperMacFox

Suffer not the Flamer to live
Jun 26, 2009
Kudos to the guys who worked out this release date before it was actually released, It'll definately be interesting to see how they're going to recreate the entire world, which is obviously no small task.

Also there's now cross appeal to other gamers, as those who don't like WoW can join the free trial to WATCH THE WORLD BURN. Then Blizzard will hit 12 million subscribers in about three months.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
8bitmaster said:
finally! Its not that I care about cataclysm, its that I care that after cataclysm releases, blizzard gets to work on heart of the swarm!
Uh, you do know that the WoW dev team and the RTS dev team (and the Diablo dev team, and their fourth MMO dev team) are completely separate, right?

Hashandir

Jan 14, 2009
Good news everyone! You can now safely discard all your hopes of getting any work/studying done for the 8-16 weeks after the game hits the shelves! Gotta start coming up for some ideas on how to make money, since it's obvious that work is out of the question.