Blizzard Considers Starcraft II for Wii U

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
FelixG said:
God I hope they dont bother with this, I dont want to see RTS games getting dumbed down for consoles too.
The PC Master Race will always have The Creative Assembly and the Total War franchise. I just don't think you could port those games to a console with any degree of success.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
FelixG said:
Sean951 said:
FelixG said:
God I hope they dont bother with this, I dont want to see RTS games getting dumbed down for consoles too.
The PC Master Race will always have The Creative Assembly and the Total War franchise. I just don't think you could port those games to a console with any degree of success.
Depends on how much they dumb it down :p
I would argue that the controls aren't there. You have to be able to click and drag out units with at least some precision, though the joysticks would be nice for camera control...

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Sean951 said:
FelixG said:
Sean951 said:
FelixG said:
Depends on how much they dumb it down :p
I would argue that the controls aren't there. You have to be able to click and drag out units with at least some precision, though the joysticks would be nice for camera control...
Well, you could just click the screen where you want them to go. Maybe use one of the joysticks for directional control of the unit, and use the buttons as switching between walking running and/or using general/unit abilities.

I could see it working. Not as well as the PC, but it could work.

Or, you can use the Wii mote as the mouse, and the touch pad as "keyboard" for the hotkeys.

OT: An interesting idea. Maybe Nintendo would even allow cross platform play? That would be very interesting...

So many noobs I would be able to destroy. >:)

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
animehermit said:
This is just baffling, I can't for the life of me fathom why they would do this. Why would Starcraft fans buy it on a system with inferior graphics and controls?

Also: somehow I doubt many pros would pick this up.
You realize that most people who buy SC2 don't play it professionally right? Also SC2 is a very fun 'casual' game if your not playing with 'hardcore' players and it would be fun to have local multiplayer using the Wii U GamePad. You don't seem to understand that companies make game ports to sell to people that have not bought the game, not people who already own the game.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
i hoped that an RTS would be released on the console, if it is starcraft II or not. i just want to see a working one, so we can see how it works.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Wouldn´t that be like playing Starcraft 2 with a touchpad on a laptop? That´s a horrible idea! :O

But on the other hand, Red Alert on ps1 actually worked quite well, so maybe it could end up working. Though it would be better if they released something else, didn´t really like SC2 as a singleplayer game, first one was far better imo.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Sean951 said:
Wait, since when has Blizzard never innovated. Weren't they a first to make a RTS based on 3 distinct races as well as the first to really do a base building RTS?.
I think Warwind did it first. And Dune 2 came prior to Warcraft, which is the first RTS about base building. Don´t really know whether Command and Conquer or Warcraft 1 came first, but i think Westwood had made C&C no matter what, they laid the foundation with Dune 2.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
animehermit said:
This is just baffling, I can't for the life of me fathom why they would do this. Why would Starcraft fans buy it on a system with inferior graphics and controls?

Also: somehow I doubt many pros would pick this up.
well SC1 was on N64 so....

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
animehermit said:
Because not every SC fan has a PC that can run SC II. A console is more practical for families who don't need to upgrade their desktop, and reaching out to consoles will open up an entirely new demographic for Blizzard. People will buy this game up because it would be the only console version available.

Will it be better? Of course not. Is there money to be made? Definitely.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Remember this video guys?

Perhaps soon, one day. :p

On a more serious note, I can't imagine playing SC2 without a keyboard. It's so essential for that game. I only use my mouse to point at the location units have to move at/cast spells at and to select buildings, buildings units and using their commands is all done by keyboard hotkeys

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
technically, the hardcore players would already have gotten pcs anyway, not to discredit consoles completely but that's the definition of 'hardcore' as far as that goes

that being said, i find teacup rides pleasant when i want them and frankly it is tiring to be on the edge of the seat every time i play a game

the touchscreen controller does have potential though, if we stop looking at things in the conventional manner...it's up to the devs to figure out the configuration there

main issue being that a keyboard can be operated by feel while a touch screen lacks haptic response, so that would be the main disadvantage any sort of complex configuration would have

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
erttheking said:
So what, they can get it on the Wii but not the xbox 360?
not the Wii...The WiiU.

Plus the 360 doesn't have touchscreen control's in their controller (if they did Halo Wars would be a lot better but meh) which is why their probably wont be a 360/PS3 release.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Holy balls! They may have found a use for the WiiU that might actually make a console compete in what used to be a market the PC performed best in. Why stop at Starcraft? If SC can work on it well enough to be comparable to playing on a PC, why couldn't all of my other favorite RTSs work?

Pat Hulse

Oct 17, 2011
arc1991 said:
erttheking said:
So what, they can get it on the Wii but not the xbox 360?
not the Wii...The WiiU.

Plus the 360 doesn't have touchscreen control's in their controller (if they did Halo Wars would be a lot better but meh) which is why their probably wont be a 360/PS3 release.
It's worth noting that the 360 will have SmartGlass which could theoretically serve this function, though admittedly there are two major problems:

1) The developers would have to take into consideration juggling a proper controller and the tablet running SmartGlass.
2) The developers would be essentially making a game that only works if the player base has an optional add-on for the system that ties into an unrelated peripheral, where as everyone who has the Wii U is guaranteed to have the GamePad.

That being said, a Wii U port could work, it's just a question of whether or not Blizzard thinks there's a market they can reach through the Wii U that they can't get through PC/Mac. It also depends on how much improved the online experience is on the Wii U (Nintendo really needs to up their game on this front).

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
saintdane05 said:
llafnwod said:
Draech said:
Ympulse said:
Blizzards Design philosophy has always been innovate nothing, perfect everything.
Perfect everything? Am I missing something here? Does no-one else remember StarCraft 64?
Starcraft 64 was an experiment. That is why only 5000 copies exists, and they were only released in Australia.
I doubt that, even the blockbuster in my crappy Canadian town had three copies.