Blizzard Considers Starcraft II for Wii U

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Blizzard Considers Starcraft II for Wii U

Nintendo's tablet controller might provide interesting opportunities for Blizzard's popular RTS franchise.

PCs have long been the platform of choice for real-time strategy games like Starcraft II. When you're trying to manage dozens of individual units on the screen at any given time, not to mention all possible hotkey combinations, the traditional keyboard and mouse offers a level of precision that console controllers just can't beat. Nonetheless, Starcraft II Lead Designer Dustin Browder thinks the Wii U's touchscreen might be a step towards bringing RTS titles to new platform, even if the interface isn't quite there yet.

"If I can control a cursor on the television with my hand on the touchscreen, that might be able to work," Browder said in an interview with Kotaku, "[But] because of the hotkey scenario, it's not like players actually play StarCraft with the mouse only-they play with the mouse and keyboard... We obviously allow new users to play mouse-only and that's really fun, but when you get serious about the game you do move into the mouse and keyboard space."

Browder noted that while Blizzard isn't currently working on a console RTS, they have considered the option as new technology develops. Back when the Playstation Move came out, Sony put together a demo for Starcraft II and sent it to Blizzard to see what they thought. Browder's verdict? "I wanted to kill myself. I found it very difficult to make it work... it felt like it was gonna be a lot more effort to still make that work, to still make that really sing."

It's worth mentioning that Blizzard already dipped their toes into the console market with Starcraft 64, but despite <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/game/nintendo-64/starcraft-64/critic-reviews>largely positive reviews, the game lagged far behind its PC counter-part. Blizzard simply isn't ready to put their resources into such a similar project unless the interface and gameplay can provide an identical level of immersion. That said, we've already seen simple RTS games become popular on tablets and smartphones, and several developers have <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103113-App-Gives-Touchscreen-Control-Over-StarCraft-II>already created touchscreen interfaces for Starcraft II.

Source: <a href=http://kotaku.com/5919333/blizzard-says-starcraft-on-wii-u-might-work>Kotaku

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
this somewhat reminds me of when starcraft was on the N64. OH man that was freaking dumb, also the first time i had played an RTS.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
Somehow, I fear that Blizzard will not try to do anything new or innovative anymore. While this seems like a step in the right direction for them to start getting creative again, WoW is still a big gigantic example of *take someone else's idea, and apply it to our stuff*, or the more famous Blizzard move "take stuff from WoW, and put it in our other games". Most of the stuff coming into their next expansion is either a blatant rip-off from other games, or just expanding upon their own old ideas. This idea of making SC2 portable and for a touchscreen sounds like fun, but it sadly reeks of a tried and true Blizzard tradition: Milk our three IPs for every last dollar we can get out of them.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Here is an idea Blizzard. How about you actually release Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void before working on anything else Starcraft related.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Gizmo1990 said:
Here is an idea Blizzard. How about you actually release Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void before working on anything else Starcraft related.
You really think they're going to take people off the Heart of the Swarm development team to do a port job? You do realize that Blizzard is capable of working on multiple projects simultaneously and has done so for a considerable amount of time?

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Mortamus said:
Somehow, I fear that Blizzard will not try to do anything new or innovative anymore.
You must be new here. Blizzard historically doesn't innovate. They let others innovate, and then learn from the mistakes made by the innovators, and then release their improved version of the innovation. It's a wildly successful business model, dont get me wrong, but calling Blizz Innovative is like saying Henry Ford invented the automobile. It's just plain false.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Ympulse said:
Mortamus said:
Somehow, I fear that Blizzard will not try to do anything new or innovative anymore.
You must be new here. Blizzard historically doesn't innovate. They let others innovate, and then learn from the mistakes made by the innovators, and then release their improved version of the innovation. It's a wildly successful business model, dont get me wrong, but calling Blizz Innovative is like saying Henry Ford invented the automobile. It's just plain false.
Also there's still Project Titan...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Short of giving full mouse/keyboard support, touch screens seem to be the only way I can think of for consoles to have decent RTS gameplay.

It won't beat M+K though for response time and accuracy though. SC2 on the Wii U...probably gonna end up watered down. The notion of Wii U players going up against PC players would be pretty hilarious too.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Aeshi said:
Which, having seen it myself, is underwhelming. Really, it's just bad. Wouldn't be surprised if the entire project got scrapped and re-started under the same name.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Ympulse said:
Aeshi said:
Which, having seen it myself, is underwhelming. Really, it's just bad. Wouldn't be surprised if the entire project got scrapped and re-started under the same name.
Considering it's only entered/entering 'full production mode' this year by Rob Pardo's own admission, I have to question just how much you - a completely anonymous internet user - has actually seen.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Amnestic said:
Ympulse said:
Aeshi said:
Considering it's only entered/entering 'full production mode' this year by Rob Pardo's own admission, I have to question just how much you - a completely anonymous internet user - has actually seen.
What? He's a completely anonymous person on the internet talking about things he has no way of legally talking about due to NDA's and corporate security. HOW DARE YOU DOUBT HIS WORD, THIS SEEMS COMPLETELY LEGIT.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Not gonna happen.
Motion controls aren't fast and precise enough.
Even as an experienced player with high mouse accuracy, I still fall short on speed in SC2.
It's a game where the skill-cap astronomically high, if not impossible to reach.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that it can't be done, but it would never be be the true SC2 experience.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
TsunamiWombat said:
Amnestic said:
Ympulse said:
Aeshi said:
What? He's a completely anonymous person on the internet talking about things he has no way of legally talking about due to NDA's and corporate security. HOW DARE YOU DOUBT HIS WORD, THIS SEEMS COMPLETELY LEGIT.
Like I give a fuck about my old Blizzard job. :)

But hey, we're at least another 4-5 years from it's release, so what I saw is most likely not going to be the game that is released.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Ympulse said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Amnestic said:
Ympulse said:
Aeshi said:
Oh? Do tell then. I'm sure Blizzard's lawyers would love to see what you have to say and since you don't "give a fuck" about it, you should have no issue spreading the information, right?

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Amnestic said:
Ympulse said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Amnestic said:
Ympulse said:
Aeshi said:
Oh? Do tell then. I'm sure Blizzard's lawyers would love to see what you have to say and since you don't "give a fuck" about it, you should have no issue spreading the information, right?
TF2 with robots.

Pretty much sums up the Titan I played.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Ympulse said:
Amnestic said:
Ympulse said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Amnestic said:
Ympulse said:
Aeshi said:
TF2 with robots.

What, that's it? Not got anything more?

Disappointing.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Amnestic said:
Ympulse said:
Amnestic said:
Ympulse said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Amnestic said:
Ympulse said:
Aeshi said:
TF2 with robots.

What, that's it? Not got anything more?

Disappointing.
Team-based shooter with mech-based characters, built around objective gameplay. Capture-the-macguffin was the objective I was able to play.

The alpha-level art was alpha. Barriers were purple, while the ground was blue. Orange interacitbles let you use them as shields or other things.

Really, it sounds like you've never worked in gaming. Otherwise you'd know that details are really sparse when it comes to alpha and pre-alpha builds.