Blizzard Crushes StarCraft 2 Cheaters

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Blizzard Crushes StarCraft 2 Cheaters

There's around five thousand fewer people playing StarCraft 2 today, as Blizzard starts clearing the decks of rule-breakers.

We knew a crackdown on StarCraft 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-II-Wings-Liberty-Pc/dp/B000ZKA0J6/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1285945909&sr=1-1] cheating was coming, as Blizzard warned [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103464-Blizzard-Warms-Up-Banhammer-for-StarCraft-II-Cheaters] everyone a couple of weeks ago. Today, it's made good on that promise and brought the axe down on thousands of players found to be using hack programs or otherwise cheating.

In a statement on the official SC2 site [http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/882508], Blizzard said that the number of people banned or suspended from the game was over 5,000. The statement read that aside from "undermining the spirit of fair play" on Battle.net, there was a danger of the cheaters causing stability and performance issues for other players. Blizzard said that maintaining a stable and secure experience for "legitimate players" was its top priority and that it would continue to be on the lookout for anyone who wasn't playing fair.

Anyone who earned a suspension just has to wait out his or her sentence, but those who were actually banned will have to buy another copy of the game to keep playing. Hopefully, anyone forced to spend another sixty bucks will learn from the experience - and the expenditure - but that said, there is exactly zero chance that this is the last time anyone will be booted from StarCraft 2 for cheating.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5652731/thousands-of-starcraft-ii-cheaters-busted-by-blizzard]

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
The only thing that can make this any sweeter is if some guy who was banned for cheating at the game makes a thread about how unfair it is so I can laugh at his misery.

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
You know, this is why the RTS multiplayer community loves Blizzard. As much as they appreciate their customers, they're willing to call the less scrupulous among us on our shenanigans.

inb4 SC2 Patch 1.1 ruined the game FOREVER

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Glad to see they are taking action agaisnt it - Whicgh is fantastic!

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
muhahaha those foolish fiends. A bit more drastic then giving non cheaters a hat but very rightfully deserved...dam cheaters.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
GG blizzard, now I can't use the excuse that they were cheating for losing so many times!

Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
Damn... Well, they were true to their word. Now all the need to do is sever their ties with Activision...
Holy crap a Dark Cloud 2 avatar! I thought I was the only one who played it!

spacepope22

Dec 4, 2009
I have no problem with this. If they go against the user license agreement, then they deserve the consequences.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Does this just ban players from the multiplayer or the whole game (I don't know if Battle.net is as bad as Ubisofts thing or not)? If the latter, that's a bad precedent to be setting regardless of what merited it.

Hwoof

Jul 11, 2010
So long as you don't cheat, you have nothing to complain about. People that do, ruin it for everyone else, and then complain about the fact that they get banned.
Well maybe you shoulda thought about that in the first place no?

Idiots. The lot of that.

Oh and good work Blizzard.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Douk said:
GG blizzard, now I can't use the excuse that they were cheating for losing so many times!

Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
Damn... Well, they were true to their word. Now all the need to do is sever their ties with Activision...
Holy crap a Dark Cloud 2 avatar! I thought I was the only one who played it!
Nope I did too

OT: Good for them, why didn't they do it earlier?

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Note, that the ban (apparently) extends to the single player. That would put VAC bans into perspective.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Goodonya Blizzard. Starcraft 2 multiplayer can be tough, but nothing's worse than a cheater on a game that requires a lot of micro management even when you're not playing against pros.