Blizzard Donates $2.5 Million in Proceeds from WoW Pet Sales to Make-A-Wish Foundation

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Blizzard Donates $2.5 Million in Proceeds from WoW Pet Sales to Make-A-Wish Foundation

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1381/1381064.jpgBlizzard's yearly charity drive raised $2.5 million for the Make-a-Wish Foundation in 2016.

Every year, Blizzard offers up a new in-game pet, and donates part of the proceeds from the first month of sales to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. This is year's pet was Mischief [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168963-World-of-Warcraft-Make-a-Wish-Mischief-Plushie], a cat with a matching real-life, glow-in-the-dark plush. Blizzard said that sales of the pet and the plush in December would benefit the charity, and now they're announced just how much money their community helped to raise.

In a post [https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/20542017] on the official World of Warcraft site, Blizzard announced that it was making a donation of $2.5 million to the Make-A-Wish foundation. That's a big jump from the program's first year in 2014, when $1 million was raised.

If you've ever played World of Warcraft, you know that the battle pets can be used as cosmetic companions, or as your fighters in the game's pet battles. If you missed out on Mischief, you can still grab the in-game version on the Gear store [https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/world-of-warcraft-pet-mischief], although the plush is currently out of stock.

Proto Taco

Apr 30, 2013
While I support this donation, the fact that Mischief is still available after the donation period cheapens the whole affair to me. If they had donation events more often I might feel differently, but their donation events are so rare I don't see any reason not to. It'd drive sales like a jackhammer and then we'd be seeing orders of magnitude larger donation sums each year.

I mean just look at all the other "do or cry" events they've held in the past year. From Tyrande in Hearthstone to Oni Genji in Overwatch, and the fancy mount in HotS. If you didn't do those events you didn't get ANYTHING. Why are donation events treated any differently? It really makes the whole affair feel like Cartmanized 'moral tefflon' rather than any sort of genuine community service.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
Proto Taco said:
While I support this donation, the fact that Mischief is still available after the donation period cheapens the whole affair to me. If they had donation events more often I might feel differently, but their donation events are so rare I don't see any reason not to. It'd drive sales like a jackhammer and then we'd be seeing orders of magnitude larger donation sums each year.

I mean just look at all the other "do or cry" events they've held in the past year. From Tyrande in Hearthstone to Oni Genji in Overwatch, and the fancy mount in HotS. If you didn't do those events you didn't get ANYTHING. Why are donation events treated any differently? It really makes the whole affair feel like Cartmanized 'moral teflon' rather than any sort of genuine community service.
I also ask myself why they cant do dollar for dollar donation matches.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Only here could people find something to complain about when a company donates two and a half million to charity.

Proto Taco

Apr 30, 2013
The Enquirer said:
Only here could people find something to complain about when a company donates two and a half million to charity.
Yes, how dare we criticize our benevolent corporate overlords. We should all just be grateful...

Vozati

Jun 8, 2010
The Enquirer said:
In their most recent earnings call, they made 3.6 Billion dollars in 2016 selling in game content like this cat. Thats's .06% of what they earned selling pets and lootboxes.

I mean just look at all the other "do or cry" events they've held in the past year. From Tyrande in Hearthstone to Oni Genji in Overwatch, and the fancy mount in HotS. If you didn't do those events you didn't get ANYTHING. Why are donation events treated any differently? It really makes the whole affair feel like Cartmanized 'moral tefflon' rather than any sort of genuine community service.
That's because theyre selling the cat for money. Those other things are just to draw people in and get them thinking about buying skins and stuff.
Blizzard is absolute scum when it comes to manipulating its players and getting them to open their wallets.