Blizzard Event Hints at August Beta for Diablo III

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Blizzard Event Hints at August Beta for Diablo III

Cross your fingers, PC gamers. And then uncross them, because you'll be needing to click rapid-fire.

Back in May, we learned that Blizzard was hoping to unleash the closed beta test for its infernal slash-and-loot RPG sometime this summer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109885-Diablo-III-Beta-Rises-from-Hell-This-Summer]. Now, signs have surfaced that indicate that while we likely won't see the beta in July, we could see it as soon as August 1st.

Blizzard has extended an invitation to members of the gaming press to come visit its headquarters in Irvine, California in July, for a shindig all about the Diablo III beta. As with most press events, the information is embargoed (meaning, folks can't write about it) until the first of August.

Now, as MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/06/22/diablo-3-beta-details-coming-your-way-on-august-1st/] points out, this is fairly solid proof that we won't see the beta in July, or else the gamers playing it would beat the press to all the scoops.

It does, however, make it all the more likely that the official Diablo III beta would start on or shortly after the first of August. After all, why hold a press event about a beta that you don't plan on launching for a while?

It's hardly concrete confirmation here, so I wouldn't go booking time off from work in August - but it is an interesting bit of news nonetheless. One wonders what the scope of the D3 beta could be, because unlike StarCraft II the game doesn't have a heavily promoted multiplayer-only component that needs balancing.

I've played Diablo III at each of the BlizzCons [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86767-Blizzcon-08-Hands-On-Diablo-III], and every time I've found myself absolutely loving it. The game is shaping up to be phenomenal, and I'm crossing my fingers that we get some hands-on time sooner rather than later.

(MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/06/22/diablo-3-beta-details-coming-your-way-on-august-1st/])

ciasteczkowyp

May 3, 2011
D III seems to beat Dungeon Siege 3 (the most boring hack and slash in 2011) even before beta xD. I can't wait!

Auxiliary

Feb 20, 2011
I just wonder where the writer of this article gets his idea that there is no multiplayer component which requires balancing. I am quite sure there will be arena-combat in this game and I would not be surprised if they had something similar to battlegrounds as well.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Auxiliary said:
I just wonder where the writer of this article gets his idea that there is no multiplayer component which requires balancing. I am quite sure there will be arena-combat in this game and I would not be surprised if they had something similar to battlegrounds as well.
There is arena combat, I played it at Blizzcon. But it's nowhere near the scope of SC2, and the developers have said that they will not be trying to balance PvP at all.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I really hope I end up trying Diablo 3, mainly because I'm not entirely sold on the game. Diablo 2 made me feel apathetic at best and irritated at "wonder through the dark lost" gameplay at worst. I'm really hoping Diablo 3 is good and I want the chance to try it, enjoy it and then buy it. However, the chances of me being able to grab a BETA key before all the fans who were going to buy it no matter what grabs them all is pretty slim.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
I'll believe it when the CEO of blizzard walks up to my door, throws a box that says "DIABLO 3 BETA" in REALLY big letters on it and then cheerfully watches as I install it so I can hit him if its a joke

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Running off to check my Beta settings again. Knowing my luck, though...I got into the Wrath and Cataclysm betas, so I'll get stuck watching from the sidelines this time.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Saviordd1 said:
I'll believe it when the CEO of blizzard walks up to my door, throws a box that says "DIABLO 3 BETA" in REALLY big letters on it and then cheerfully watches as I install it so I can hit him if its a joke
You mean like this?

OT: I'm eagerly waiting for this, I double checked my beta settings. I think I'm getting that itchy feeling of hype in anticipation for a new game, that same itch I have for Guild Wars 2 and Skyrim.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I'm still hoping this will be a sequel to Diablo II and not just a reskin and you'll need to do more than click the mouse button till your fingers seize up.

DogOnDrugs

May 29, 2005
On the "why beta?" part, well Blizzard knows how much publicity a beta is making, it's a huge marketing stunt. For quite some time especially open betas have been a very good way of making sure people buy your game. In a way its a free trial, and if the game delivers, it's a first fix to start your addiction. Not saying it's going to be an open beta, but there will be information leaking and that is going to further fuel the anticipation of its release.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Diablo 3. 11 years in the ma--wait. wait a minute. Where have I heard something similar to that? Oh well I'm sure Blizzard will never make a game that sells their fans short. I bet Diablo III will be long and well worth the wait. Because they have never released a game that was short, provided uninteresting multiplayer, and a disappointing ending ^_^

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
Rack said:
I'm still hoping this will be a sequel to Diablo II and not just a reskin and you'll need to do more than click the mouse button till your fingers seize up.
Same basic premise with a few new mechanics. But I wouldn't expect anything ground breaking so I think you will be a bit dissapointed if you were hoping for something brand new.

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
Genixma said:
Diablo 3. 11 years in the ma--wait. wait a minute. Where have I heard something similar to that? Oh well I'm sure Blizzard will never make a game that sells their fans short. I bet Diablo III will be long and well worth the wait. Because they have never released a game that was short, provided uninteresting multiplayer, and a disappointing ending ^_^
Not sure if you were being sarcastic. If not what are you talking about, pretty sure just about every blizzard product has been a gem and worth the wait.

SonofSeth

Dec 16, 2007
Richard Allen said:
Genixma said:
Not sure if you were being sarcastic. If not what are you talking about, pretty sure just about every blizzard product has been a gem and worth the wait.
Don't feed it, ffs!

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
You had to explain 'embargoed'? Really? Sad, sad, sad...

I kind of wonder how they're handling the beta-keys. They announced that 'some' BlizzCon attendees last year would get keys, but they never said how it was going to be determined or how many would get them. As an attendee, I'm dying to know...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Rack said:
But that won't be Diablo then.

Also, I suspect a small killing spree in the future if I don't get to play this beta. I played Warhammer beta. Aion beta. All of them - MEANINGLESS.

I am sharpening my katana in case of some weird mojo screwing up my August.