Blizzard Gives Thumbs-Up to World of StarCraft Mod

Spectre4802

Oct 23, 2009
Nice one, Blizzard. This is why I like you guys - always trying to help the modding community.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Try to keep in mind that Blizzard the StarCraft studio is not the same entity as the Activision-Blizzard legal department, and that when it comes to matters of business - especially big-dollar business like a popular Blizzard game franchise - the standard practice is lawyers first and ask questions later. Suggesting that Blizzard is somehow behaving badly in all this is way off the mark.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
...even invited the developer to visit the Blizzard campus and meet with the StarCraft 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-II-Wings-Liberty-Pc/dp/B000ZKA0J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295543972&sr=8-1] team.
And no one ever saw him again...

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
They probably just saw the guy has a lot of talent and the job offer to work against them scared them enough to try to make nice about the whole affair.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
the outsider said:
Niccolo said:
the outsider said:
Smells like more of that PR BS stuff that keeps getting everywhere.
Really? I doubt it. Blizzard have quite the track record for treating modders well - trying to break WoW notwithstanding - so it doesn't really smack of PR-farming to me.

Sure, I bet it crossed their mind that people will like this... But it's more likely that they really DO want the mod finished and released. Or maybe they want the guy to help them develop the actual thing. Who knows?

Regardless of Activision Blizzard's views on the mod, they didn't ask the modding team politely to change the name or remove the videos. Instead they went straight to the lawyers and sent out Cease and Desist letters to their own valued and precious community. No higher path taken, no fair warnings, just threats of legal action.
This bit them in the arse because of the mods place in the public arena and now they are smoothing things over, and it is working by the looks of things. I tip my hat to them (but that's all...).
Activision Blizzard may have some nice staff there, but that does not excuse the fact that they pulled a dick move first.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107126-World-of-StarCraft-Modder-Gets-a-Job-Offer

Actually Blizzard didn't sue or send legal actions him. They were talking with him. At least that is what the modder said.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
the outsider said:
Niccolo said:
the outsider said:
Smells like more of that PR BS stuff that keeps getting everywhere.
Really? I doubt it. Blizzard have quite the track record for treating modders well - trying to break WoW notwithstanding - so it doesn't really smack of PR-farming to me.

Sure, I bet it crossed their mind that people will like this... But it's more likely that they really DO want the mod finished and released. Or maybe they want the guy to help them develop the actual thing. Who knows?
Regardless of Activision Blizzard's views on the mod, they didn't ask the modding team politely to change the name or remove the videos. Instead they went straight to the lawyers and sent out Cease and Desist letters to their own valued and precious community. No higher path taken, no fair warnings, just threats of legal action.
This bit them in the arse because of the mods place in the public arena and now they are smoothing things over, and it is working by the looks of things. I tip my hat to them (but that's all...).
Activision Blizzard may have some nice staff there, but that does not excuse the fact that they pulled a dick move first.
There was no C&D letters, they only had the youtube video removed.

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
Aidinthel said:
SomethingAmazing said:
If this mod takes off, then more people will buy Starcraft 2 to play it. Or maybe Blizzard wants to create a sequel to it eventually.
Or maybe they'll do what Valve did with Team Fortress and buy the guy out if it's successful enough.
Or maybe Valve will do what Valve did with DotA and buy the guy out anyways.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
RJ Dalton said:
Ha, fooled you, it's really so they can shoot the guy in the head for stealing their property.
I think Blizzard has the resources to send a hitman to the guy's home.

Still, I can respect Blizzard's opening moves. If even the developer recognizes that they have a right to do what they did, who am I to begrudge such a thing. Beyond that, they are letting the work continue and even offering a measure of support. Hell, the guy could very well get a job in the industry out of this if he wanted it. I'd say that's a victory for everyone involved. Blizzard gets some good press, the community gets to keep working on the project and a dream might soon be fulfilled.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I guess we know who's the Shepard and who's the Miranda in this relationship. Miranda goes off and starts bitching about something, so Shepard says "STFU and go to your room"